Matt Brown: UConn Expected To Reach TV Deal With SNY | The Boneyard

Matt Brown: UConn Expected To Reach TV Deal With SNY

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
so....if this happens...what does that mean for out of state fans? There is no option for SNY on Time Warner Spectrum in California. Will there be a streaming option?

I know we don't have all the answers yet, but the author in the article seems to think signing on with SNY would make UConn available to all fans. Not sure that is true.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
so....if this happens...what does that mean for out of state fans? There is no option for SNY on Time Warner Spectrum in California. Will there be a streaming option?

I know we don't have all the answers yet, but the author in the article seems to think signing on with SNY would make UConn available to all fans. Not sure that is true.

I dont see how we get any visiting teams to the Rent w/o a streaming deal for out of market.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Currently all SNY games are simulcast on ESPN3. Is ESPN3 going away?
I would think so. Currently SNY buys the rights to our games from ESPN but ESPN keeps the rights outside of the SNY footprint. ESPN hasn't been particularly generous to us in the past, so I wouldn't expect any favors. I don't see them buying content from SNY, but who knows.

I thought this was spot on:
I also suspect UConn simply wouldn’t be able to attract a good replacement if they cut the cord right now. Maybe in two years, after they’ve had a chance to recoup some money after the Big East move, and after they better understand what life as an independent will be like, this could be a more attractive gig. But for now, even if it isn’t the right fit, I think both sides are kind of stuck with each other.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
All parties will want to monetize the investment as much as possible. If the home games are being broadcast and produced by SNY, and those are sunk costs, someone will pay for the right to try to monetize it by making that broadcast available out of area for a fee. If neither NBC nor ESPN is interested, UConn will make it available on its website out of SNY's market area for a fee.

We'll know soon enough but I wouldn't be worried about this.

CL82

Reaction Score
If neither NBC nor ESPN is interested, UConn will make it available on its website out of SNY's market area for a fee.
Or SNY will. Good point BL.

Reaction Score
Yes. It’s flowing the way we would want ... without the wickedness some football Fanbase opined.

“Thanks to a bevy of local opponents, a potentially growing number of fellow independents, and plenty of teams looking for a bodybag game, finding games to play wasn’t too bad.”

UMASS has to get better; but they are far more important than a Middle Tennessee or something other from CUSA. Army. Then Virginia & Mississippi.

College football is a Game of the South. No place else hyped up their University experiences & the STATE culture like we have seem ... and will grow in the future. UConn had to work hard to grind through a northeastern regional Brand. And both the SNY tie & the DB schedule makes steps towards that. The Death of The Program pronouncements were premature.

There will be more independents & that simple numbers game makes our spot as an Independent better. Like? James Madison. I see us playing Yale again as the Ivy Football has risen.

Reaction Score
Hope Fox can help with regional FSNs.
I don’t if they will be able to help. I know SNY is a part of NBC Sports.

It’s going to be interesting to see what fox does for basketball. Currently Fox RSNs like YES network show Big East basketball in this area. I wonder if that could hurt SNYs chances getting UConn basketball. Or maybe opens the door to show more Big East basketball like they did prior to the split in 2013.

Reaction Score
Benedict indicated that the SNY deal was for linear coverage, ie live over the air broadcast games, so I"m certain that an appropriate stream platform will be negotiated as well.

Reaction Score
College football is a Game of the South.

I can't disagree more. College football started in the North East(Rutgers claims the very first college football game). Ask Michigan, Ohio St and Notre Dame if college football is a game of the South. What is Yale and Harvard's biggest game of the year? It sure is not basketball. And the last time I looked neither Army or Navy were located in the South.

Reaction Score
I can't disagree more. College football started in the North East(Rutgers claims the very first college football game). Ask Michigan, Ohio St and Notre Dame if college football is a game of the South. What is Yale and Harvard's biggest game of the year? It sure is not basketball. And the last time I looked neither Army or Navy were located in the South.

Attendance. Total Revenue. Performance.

My point is ... UCONN has to create - with others - a distinctive Brand for northeastern football. While we are hyper focused on our navel (1 & 11; 2 & 10) there’s been a consistent level of indifference in the overall region. Ok ... I’ll root for Schiano to raise the RU world AND play us. We need to play Buffalo & Temple. Army & the VA schools. BC & Pitt & Cuse.

I do think part of the glue that will make the coming years work ... is no more 55-10 games in distant times zones.

Reaction Score
How many non southern schools have won a national championship in the last 20 years?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Football is a southern sport, and that will be getting more pronounced in the future unless someone figures out a way to prevent CTE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom