OT: Matt Barnes | The Boneyard

OT: Matt Barnes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Got to meet and take a pic with Matt Barnes today at Spring Training. He was far and away the most gracious player toward the fans. Signed a ton, took pics, chatted people up. Just wanted to share a quick story of a fellow Husky representing the university extremely well.

See attachment for how he signed my baseball:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 163

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Love it. Hopefully he, Springer, Ahmed, and there's still time for Olt, can lead a new generation of Huskies in the majors.

Reaction Score
Trading away Webster, Ranaudo and De La Rosa opens him up to being that "6th starter" the Sox love for emergencies with one foot in Pawtucket and one in Boston. Hopefully he's not part of a trade for a much needed ace but you never know.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
He's a great guy. His brother is in me and @Justin M 's fraternity so we've met him a bunch of times. Great family and really down to earth

MattMang23

Reaction Score
If the Sox are to make a run at Hamels you can kiss Barnes goodbye. Probably would take him, Castillo, Christian Vazquez or Blake Swihart, and, depending on who player 3 ends up being, another prospect of varying pedigree.

Reaction Score
For some reason I always thought Barnes could be like Papelbon in the sense that he is converted to a closer once Uehara is gone. He has 3 really solid pitches and a Fastball that he can dial up to the high 90's if he wants. Only thing holding him back is the amount of walk's he surrenders.

Reaction Score
Favorite Matt Barnes moment:

In the NCAA's after striking out the side in the bottom of the 1st against South Carolina .... "ALL duck*ING NIGHT!!! ALL duck*ING NIGHT!!!"

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Favorite Matt Barnes moment:

In the NCAA's after striking out the side in the bottom of the 1st against South Carolina .... "ALL duck*ING NIGHT!!! ALL duck*ING NIGHT!!!"
Ha I remember when that happened and people were turned off by it. I thought it was awesome.

Of course he ended up having a pretty average start and they lost the game (no shame in that against what turned out to be back to back champions).

I always stood behind home plate when he pitched at UConn. Was unbelievable to watch him work against college hitters.

Reaction Score
Has great potential but more importantly what a great human being. I have met him a few times and just one of the nicest guys around. Good Luck Matt !!

Reaction Score
Has great potential but more importantly what a great human being. I have met him a few times and just one of the nicest guys around. Good Luck Matt !!
It's great to hear confirmation of what a good guy he is. Most Red Sox major leaguers bigtime people and won't sign autographs or talk much to fans. The minor leaguers seem to soak it up though. Barnes was so gracious the other day that it was clear it wasn't phony at all. Along with Jackie Bradley, one of the nicest people in the organization.

Reaction Score
If the Sox are to make a run at Hamels you can kiss Barnes goodbye. Probably would take him, Castillo, Christian Vazquez or Blake Swihart, and, depending on who player 3 ends up being, another prospect of varying pedigree.
I think that's an overpay honestly. If they package Swihart, Barnes, Brian Johnson or another high pitching prospect, including Castillo would be excessive IMO. Swihart is their number one or two prospect. If Swihart is dealt, in addition to him, Barnes, another pitching prospect, and one more position player should get it done.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
I think that's an overpay honestly. If they package Swihart, Barnes, Brian Johnson or another high pitching prospect, including Castillo would be excessive IMO. Swihart is their number one or two prospect. If Swihart is dealt, in addition to him, Barnes, another pitching prospect, and one more position player should get it done.

I think it will probably take four, and assuming Henry Owens is off the table, you're looking at Swihart or Vazquez, Castillo and either Barnes or Johnson will be necessary. The fourth will depend on whether player 1 is Swihart or Vazquez, and player 3 is Barnes or Johnson. You'd think another pitcher would have to be in play so player 4 could range anywhere between Trey Ball (if players 1 and 3 are Vazquez and Barnes IMO) to some rookie level 17 year old.

I think we have both outlined largely the same deal, though.

But the Sox aren't coming away with Hamels for less than four. Amaro has shown a willingness to either get his price, or watch his player die on the vine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99