Matching up with Team USA - Oy | The Boneyard

Matching up with Team USA - Oy

Reaction Score
I took a look at the Team USA roster for tomorrows exhibition game and literally almost laughed out loud. We worry about matching up with good bigs, realize that ONO is a work in progress, but feel ok that we handled UT and almost kept Cox in control during the Baylor game. Cox? How about tomorrow when at any point of the game Olivia will be asked to handle one or more of Stewie, Tina or A'ja. And stay out of foul trouble. And if you foul and hurt Stewie, it's the next bus out of town. While Olivia is worrying about that, Christyn, Meg, Chrystal and Griff only have to keep DT, Sue, KLS, Plum, McCourghtry, Ogwumike, McBride and Clarendon from driving straight to the rim (lookout Olivia!) or just raining down jumpers. Bless her heart, Kyla isn't a back-up plan for Olivia or anything else this game. It's the core four and Griff, do or die.

And let's not forget one other thing this team isn't remotely ready for - world class trash talk from D.

I'll hope for the best, not worry about the worst and be really curious how Geno and the team navigate this game.

Reaction Score
I took a look at the Team USA roster for tomorrows exhibition game and literally almost laughed out loud. We worry about matching up with good bigs, realize that ONO is a work in progress, but feel ok that we handled UT and almost kept Cox in control during the Baylor game. Cox? How about tomorrow when at any point of the game Olivia will be asked to handle one or more of Stewie, Tina or A'ja. And stay out of foul trouble. And if you foul and hurt Stewie, it's the next bus out of town. While Olivia is worrying about that, Christyn, Meg, Chrystal and Griff only have to keep DT, Sue, KLS, Plum, McCourghtry, Ogwumike, McBride and Clarendon from driving straight to the rim (lookout Olivia!) or just raining down jumpers. Bless her heart, Kyla isn't a back-up plan for Olivia or anything else this game. It's the core four and Griff, do or die.

And let's not forget one other thing this team isn't remotely ready for - world class trash talk from D.

I'll hope for the best, not worry about the worst and be really curious how Geno and the team navigate this game.
Well done, plus one!

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
UConn doesn't have a chance to win. Like Geno said, this isn't the same Team USA that played Oregon (and I'm pretty sure if they replayed that gamed 99 more times, Oregon wouldn't win again).

However, I'm certain that the DT, Sue, KLS, Tina, and Stewie won't let the game get out of hand. Even though it's just an exhibition game, they know the spotlight is just as much on UConn as it is on them. Everyone from Crystal to Evelyn will get playing time and they'll all have dinner together afterwards.

Just enjoy the moment and hope that no one gets hurt.

Reaction Score
UConn doesn't have a chance to win. Like Geno said, this isn't the same Team USA that played Oregon (and I'm pretty sure if they replayed that gamed 99 more times, Oregon wouldn't win again).

However, I'm certain that the DT, Sue, KLS, Tina, and Stewie won't let the game get out of hand. Even though it's just an exhibition game, they know the spotlight is just as much on UConn as it is on them. Everyone from Crystal to Evelyn will get playing time and they'll all have dinner together afterwards.

True enough. I left out mentioning Anna, who may be most temperamentally and physically prepared for Team USA, but the equation stays the same.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

How do you keep a game from getting out of hand if they are so much better? I suppose they can focus on slowing it down and running set plays etc but you can only do that so much.

A team like UConn that regularly beats opponents by 40+ by playing as hard and as well as they can should not expect to get anything other then Team USA's best and the crowd and UConn supporters will not be upset in the least. At least I won't.

Reaction Score
Agree. This is a great opportunity and learning experience for this young team. It isn't about the score in any way, shape or form.

In regards to OP, UConn does not match up with Team USA, at all. Not even close.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
A'ja Wilson is not playing in tonight's game. Stewie will play limited minutes. I don't expect UConn to win the Exhibition Game. I'm interested in seeing how the Guards play for both teams. Will team USA guards dominate UConn's guards.

Reaction Score
Why don't we just sit back and enjoy this. This is a great opportunity for all of us to see a group of outstanding women's basketball players and some of UConn's finest. This also would be something for the young UConn Team to see what they could be if they do what Geno says.

Reaction Score
Woke up grinning at the fantasy scenario that came to mind. Early second half and Huskies are trailing by an astonishing margin. Timeout. Two or three UConn alum head to the locker room. Moments later they return wearing their original Husky jerseys and head to the UConn bench. Geno gathers them and frantically gets in their respective faces...before he subs them in for the regulars. (I really need more sleep)

Reaction Score
A'ja Wilson is not playing in tonight's game. Stewie will play limited minutes. I don't expect UConn to win the Exhibition Game. I'm interested in seeing how the Guards play for both teams. Will team USA guards dominate UConn's guards.
And how Tina teaches everybody.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Woke up grinning at the fantasy scenario that came to mind. Early second half and Huskies are trailing by an astonishing margin. Timeout. Two or three UConn alum head to the locker room. Moments later they return wearing their original Husky jerseys and head to the UConn bench. Geno gathers them and frantically gets in their respective faces...before he subs them in for the regulars. (I really need more sleep)
I read that Maya was going to be in attendance for the NC Anniversary celebration but isn't on the USA Team roster, so what if she came out with the UConn players, in uniform?????? (And with some of her classmates in uniform.) :-O

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Looking for Anna vs her icon Diana (Anna could win this matchup unless Diana plays better than recently) and Crystal vs Sue to get a PhD degree

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
How do you keep a game from getting out of hand if they are so much better? I suppose they can focus on slowing it down and running set plays etc but you can only do that so much.

A team like UConn that regularly beats opponents by 40+ by playing as hard and as well as they can should not expect to get anything other then Team USA's best and the crowd and UConn supporters will not be upset in the least. At least I won't.

UConn beats teams by 40 because they not only play their couple best lineups longer than I anticipate team USA doing tonight, but also because the teams they beat by that much are just poor shooting teams. If you pay close attention, teams they're blowing out often get decent looks in the third and fourth quarter, but they just don't convert. Nothing you can do about that. UConn won't shoot as poorly as ECU did on Saturday (I mean, they were 1-13 from three point land...) -- even against team USA.

I think the game stays within 20, but could easily get out of hand if team USA decides to go full steam for 40 minutes instead of trying different offenses and defenses and working on team cohesion, which is part of the reason these games are even happening.

Reaction Score
Maybe after the ECU game you consumed too much kielbasa (sp?)in celebration.

Reaction Score
Maybe after the ECU game you consumed too much kielbasa (sp?)in celebration.

That is the correct spelling! (Just want to make sure the most important stuff is taken care of.)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Well said and one. It's because of all of the points you mentioned save one, that this game will be so much fun. That is UConn is EXTREMELY outclassed here, and everyone knows it!!! The USA team is comprised of grown women that play basketball for a living, are highly skilled and considered some of the best in the world. Our girls should not be concerned about stopping anyone or getting embarrassed.

They should look at this game the same way Division 2 teams do that play UConn in exhibition games at the beginning of the season. Play hard, have fun and enjoy the experience. Let's see how well you can do against superior (elite) athletes. This is an EXHIBITION game. Let's not let that dynamic get lost in the grand scheme of things here.

Liv and the rest of the team should take this game for exactly what it is...............................an exhibition. Crystal and Megan can use it as an opportunity to see "up close" what they have to look forward to in the near future when they transition to the WNBA. e.g., the physicality and the speed of the game at that level. This will be a fun and positive experience for EVERYONE participating in the game. The most important thing to me regarding this game is that NO ONE GETS HURT............ON EITHER TEAM!!!

Enjoy the game everyone. :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Defense will be optional tonight. Tonight's game wont have the feel of the National team vs Oregon game. I think Oregon wanted to make a statement. Tonight will be an exhibition & nostalgia in the truest sense of the words - especially with the Kobe tributes. Lots of offense & shooting & fast breaks - no physical play. Tonight's game wont tell us anything about the UConn team, imo.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom