Matakevich deserves another thread | The Boneyard

Matakevich deserves another thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
“He’s got great instincts and plays all over the place. He’ll hit you. He hustles as much on first play as the last play. Tyler really is what college football is all about. I was very impressed with him. He’s the reason coaches love to coach. You don’t get players like Tyler all the time, and when you get one you can’t get enough of him. He’s done more than they’ve asked him to do. What great story to go from a player no one wanted to a national player of the year. He’s going to be a great pro.” — Mack Brown, ESPN analyst and former Texas coach

image.jpg

MATAKEVICH AWARDS

Bronko Nagurski Trophy - Nations most outstanding Defensive Player - Charlotte Touchdown Club
Chuck Bednarik Award - Defensive Player of the Year - Maxwell Football Club
American Athletic Conference - Defensive Player of the Year
Walter Camp - Connecticut Player of the Year
1st Team All American - voted by Football writers Association of America, Associated Press, USA Today
and the Walter Camp Foundation

ONLY FBS PLAYER TO LEAD TEAM IN TACKLES EVERY GAME THIS SEASON
481 Career Tackles - Leads FBS
9th All time NCAA career list
only 7th player to have 4 seasons of 100 tackles or more

http://www.ctpost.com/sports/article/St-Joseph-product-Matakevich-made-quite-a-name-6710138.php

Reaction Score
5-11, 4.85 forty, it's amazing he was able to play at such a high level with those limitations.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Mack Brown is a better football announcer than he was a college coach. And he was a pretty good coach.

Reaction Score
I remember after his monster game in the State Championships (in his junior year I believe) thinking that he should be someone we would recruit. The fact that we did not is still really confusing. If we had recruited him and he chose Temple it would have been a lot easier to deal with.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I remember after his monster game in the State Championships (in his junior year I believe) thinking that he should be someone we would recruit. The fact that we did not is still really confusing. If we had recruited him and he chose Temple it would have been a lot easier to deal with.
Noone wanted him out of high school. Temple took the kid as a postgrad flyer.

Reaction Score

Clearly he would have been a great Husky. Too bad we didn't get him. But I'd be way more upset if he was a QB or OL and he turned out to be this good.

Reaction Score
Clearly he would have been a great Husky. Too bad we didn't get him. But I'd be way more upset if he was a QB or OL and he turned out to be this good.

UCONN wanted him for baseball team, not the football team. I'm sure he'd have been a great baseball player if it was a fit academically. I don't think it ever got that far. We produce pro-talent in that sport too. Kid wanted to play football, went to Milford for a year, and qualified for admission and a scholarship offer to Temple to play football, and never looked back.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek