Master of None | The Boneyard

Master of None

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
New Aziz Ansari comedy series released on Netflix tonight... Watched a few episodes so far and they are really great, especially if you are a fan of his stuff.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Aziz has to be one of the funniest dudes in the television world.

Reaction Score
I have added this to my Watch List; Looking forward to it.

Right now I'm midway thru Season 2 of Californication and have a quite a ways to go as there are 7 or 8 seasons to this series.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I ended up finishing the season last night... 30 minute episodes allow you to blow through 10 fairly quickly. Very interested to see where they take it if/when there is a season 2... Very smartly written. I think it's kind of a younger/less dark version of Louie, which I also really enjoy. I think by virtue of being 30, Aziz isn't as jaded as Louis CK at 45 or 46 or whatever. Me knocking on 37, I find myself relating to both shows. :)

Reaction Score
I am 4 eps in. Like it. My wife didn't like it - not "funny" enough for her.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I am 4 episodes into season 2, and the second season is terrible. I don't think I have ever seen a good comedy get this bad, this fast, without something crazy happening with the cast or writers.

Reaction Score
I actually really liked this season. New celebrity crush is the Italian girl.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I actually really liked this season. New celebrity crush is the Italian girl.

The acting is pretty bad, as it was last season. I can live with that. My issue is just how unfunny the show is. There are some good ideas, like getting the car stuck in the alley, or the destination wedding with his friend, but there is so much filler and just smugness that take away from the punch lines. For example, I don't know how they blew an episode about online dating in New York City, but they did. With the exception of a few clever lines and one good twist with the WWE woman, it was just kind of dull and stupid. That episode should have been a layup. Same with the religion episode.

Plots revolving around food are tough in a sitcom, because the audience can't taste what the actors are tasting. It seems like Ansari is putting food in the show because he likes food, which is a bad reason to do that. It slows down the show and feels like filler and vanity.

There are also too many ethnic jokes. I guess the writers think it is acceptable because Ansari is Pakistani, but they are all almost all based on stereotypes which makes them much less funny. I liked his parents last season, but they seem kind of contrived this season. The whole show, from the writing to the directing to the acting, just feels kind of lazy.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The show regained its footing somewhat in the last 4 or so epidsodes of this season. I had taken a long break, basically giving up on the show, but I was cleaning up my office so I started streaming it. Not great, but avoided the disaster that the show was on through the first half of the season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom