Massey Ratings [merged] | The Boneyard

Massey Ratings [merged]

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Has UConn over last year's champs by 5: 72-67 with 65% win probability. I expect the picture to change in a happy way as we get into the season.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Not sure those aren't last year's final ratings. They have Washington 7th, for instance.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Not sure those aren't last year's final ratings. They have Washington 7th, for instance.

Are you saying you don't think they are the 7th best team in the country, when they lost 5 of their top 6 scorers and return no double figure scorers, including best player in school history in addition to leading rebounder in program history? :(

Reaction Score
I think this is 2017-2018 rating. (Massey Ratings - CBW)
Screenshot (10).png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Those are matchups. When you click on their ratings though they go back to last year's.
If they renewed the matching they most likely will renew the rating.
I remember last year's final rating UConn was #2, South Carolina was #1 (I could be wrong).

Reaction Score
The 2017-18 Massey Basketball ratings are up.

Uhh, you don't understand where they cone from do you?

It is a computer rating. No games = no data = no rating.

Some ratings may need a "starting value" but that is phased out after a few games.

I repeat: no games = no data.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Washington 7, Arizona State 15, Syracuse 18? Ha.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Uhh, you don't understand where they cone from do you?

It is a computer rating. No games = no data = no rating.

Some ratings may need a "starting value" but that is phased out after a few games.

I repeat: no games = no data.

You should probably save this post for next year. And the year after that. And the year after that...

Reaction Score
OK, I'll admit it. I don't understand the numbers. Could someone fill me/us in on what these mean?

EW, EL, HFA, SSF?

I mean, huh?

Some I get: SoS (strength of schedule). Right? But why is everyone #1 on that? Shouldn't they be able to give a number based on his rankings?

And PWR? "Power"? How is that calculated?

Little help?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Are you saying you don't think they are the 7th best team in the country, when they lost 5 of their top 6 scorers and return no double figure scorers, including best player in school history in addition to leading rebounder in program history? :(

Sorry to quote myself. Just read a season preview from the UW athletics website. Natalie Romeo is out indefinitely due to an unspecified medical condition. That might explain her conspicuous absence from any kind of media events thus far. So....the leading returning contributor from last season is RS Jr. forward Hannah Johnson--3.5 ppg and 3.7 rpg. This has to be one of the biggest rebuilding projects a first year coach has ever faced. Egads. At least I have a couple games from last year saved on my DVR I can watch again if this season gets too unbearable.

Reaction Score
What some here don't seem to understand is that Massey is a 100% statisical rating. The first ratings of a new season are totally based on last year's numbers. Massey doesn't take roster changes into account at all. For that reason the ratings in November aren't nearly as reliable as they are at the end of December. And during the season Massey will make no adjustment for injured players so you have to allow for that. But I have found Massey to be one of if not the best predictor anywhere in wbb.

So the bottom kline is that yes, given what I said above the ratings listed are for the 17/18 season.

As for:

OK, I'll admit it. I don't understand the numbers. Could someone fill me/us in on what these mean?
EW, EL, HFA, SSF?
I mean, huh?
Some I get: SoS (strength of schedule). Right? But why is everyone #1 on that? Shouldn't they be able to give a number based on his rankings?
And PWR? "Power"? How is that calculated?
Little help?

There are extensive explanations for how those numbers are generated at the link on the bottom of my post. Probably more than you want to read. For those who enjoy this sort of thing there is an extensive explanation of Massey's SOS ratings which are scewed to give more credit for games against quality opponents and discount games against really bad teams. Massey sees a much bigger difference between beating a 8th ranked team and a 15th ranked team than between a 70th ranked team and a 200th ranked team.

• Rat: Rating overall strength
  • Pwr: Power rating
  • Off: Offensive power to score
  • Def: Defensive power to prevent opponent from scoring
  • HFA: Home Field Advantage
  • SoS: Strength of Schedule - played games only
  • SSF: Strength of Schedule - including future games
  • EW: Expected Wins for remainder of schedule
  • EL: Expected Losses for remainder of schedule
Massey Ratings

Reaction Score
An example that Massey gives for their SOS theory:

Team A beats 4 teams ranked 48, 49, 51, 52 (average of opponents =50
Team B beats 2 teams ranked 2 & 4 and 2 teams ranked 98 & 100. (average of opponents= 50)

Team B would get a much higher SOS because Massey thinks that there is a much bigger gap of quality from 2 to 50 than from 50 to 100.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Sorry to quote myself. Just read a season preview from the UW athletics website. Natalie Romeo is out indefinitely due to an unspecified medical condition. That might explain her conspicuous absence from any kind of media events thus far. So....the leading returning contributor from last season is RS Jr. forward Hannah Johnson--3.5 ppg and 3.7 rpg. This has to be one of the biggest rebuilding projects a first year coach has ever faced. Egads. At least I have a couple games from last year saved on my DVR I can watch again if this season gets too unbearable.
I strongly suggest you find another primary team to root for this year. Otherwise it could be a very long season for you.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I strongly suggest you find another primary team to root for this year. Otherwise it could be a very long season for you.

I can probably manage that. I like a number of other Pac 12 teams also. UConn will probably be worth following this year.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
UConn is worth following every year. :)

I should've used a winky or smiley face in my previous post. Yes of course UConn is always worth following. I don't get to see all of their games, but I enjoy the consistent level of excellence from the program.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom