Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Massey Ratings
upload_2017-3-27_13-57-42.png

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
While Massey is seldom wrong, one can't help but notice that his final score prediction for the Florida State/USC game is only a three point difference. I guess it comes down to your particular preference, or a "gut" feeling as to who will win. Three points is not that large of a margin. Two back to back buckets can erase that margin quickly. We've already seen two #1 seeds go down this weekend in Baylor and Notre Dame. USC crashed and burned this time last year. So it's not unthinkable for them to come up short again tonight.

Since they are on the other side of the bracket, UConn will only have to meet the winner of Stanford and FSU/USC. We know there are many posters that would like to see one program over the other in the championship game for various reasons. I'm keeping in mind that Geno has NEVER lost a NCAA championship game. I don't think he'll start now. I like UConn to win tonight by the 22 point margin Massey has posted, and I like UConn in the championship game as well.

If Geno can pull this off with THIS team, a team that no one felt back in October make a deep foray into the tournament, let alone win it, he should win every coach of the year award given to Division 1 WCBB coaches. He will have done (I my opinion) one of the best coaching jobs of his 32 year career, getting the most out of the least. I think back to the Florida State game. There were periods during the game that UConn looked horrid.

I thought to myself, this is going to be a long season. They managed to eek out a 2 point win (on Collier's block of Shakala Thomas' layup attempt in the closing seconds) to pull it out. The the rest is history. I think back to something Geno said two years ago this week in response to ESPN's Holly Smith. She asked him how he liked his team's chances that weekend (or something to that effect). He told her "If we were going to lose, we'd have done it by now". I'm going to embrace that observation the rest of the tournament. If it was good then, it's good now. We know Geno will have the girls ready to play.

In Geno we trust.

UConn women's basketball - Every possession matters.

Reaction Score
So, if they win tonight, which you believe they will do, you're picking them to beat Miss State?

Reaction Score
I'm trying to figure out who we are rooting for in the S.C.-FSU game.S.C.has a better team in my opinion but FSU seems to have more of a fire in the belly kind of attitude and that seems to have served several teams well in some weekend games.That can-do demeanour can often make the slightly less talented team a tougher row to hoe if we were to meet in the final game.Of course that presupposes that we get that far and at this point winning the next two games will not be an automatic materialization even though i like our chances better than our next two opponent's chances.Anyone have a preference as to who you root for in today's second game?

Reaction Score
I'm trying to figure out who we are rooting for in the S.C.-FSU game.S.C.has a better team in my opinion but FSU seems to have more of a fire in the belly kind of attitude and that seems to have served several teams well in some weekend games.That can-do demeanour can often make the slightly less talented team a tougher row to hoe if we were to meet in the final game.Of course that presupposes that we get that far and at this point winning the next two games will not be an automatic materialization even though i like our chances better than our next two opponent's chances.Anyone have a preference as to who you root for in today's second game?

Because some of our Boneyard posters, avid ones, are U of South Carolina supporters and good guys--I have to pick US Carolina.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Because some of our Boneyard posters, avid ones, are U of South Carolina supporters and good guys--I have to pick US Carolina.
Awe, look at you, a kinder, gentler Broadway! Is this one of those Lent resolution things or is this a new mantra your trying?:)

Me, rooting for FSU all the way! Mostly because Kaela Davis' mother and her attitude irritate me due to her loud complaining on Twitter about Dawn.

Reaction Score
Awe, look at you, a kinder, gentler Broadway! Is this one of those Lent resolution things or is this a new mantra your trying?:)

Me, rooting for FSU all the way! Mostly because Kaela Davis' mother and her attitude irritate me due to her loud complaining on Twitter about Dawn.

No not lent---we can trade barbs --and much of everything I do is for fun--while I get a bit steamed over idiots--my mode is to take it light---too many serious things in this life--like what RSherm --is going through---I believe you should cheer your school loudly or unroll from being a fan--be a watcher.
If you throw a dart a Uconn --expect one back. Same old mantra I was born with--do unto others - as-they do (not would do) etc actions speak loudly to me.

I'm a fan of the college game---USCarolina, ND, Baylor, Duke, Miss St, Stanford--and 50 other schools I respect their respectful fans
Speaking of which:
Mulkey , Kim---in the final receiving line was most gracious and giving and congratulated the entire Mississippi St Team
Un like the Texas coach who snubbed her opposing coach and most of those players---that calls for an NCAA sanction--NCAA is all about sportmanship and presenting good example--TEXAS did not.

Reaction Score

Honestly, there is something in me that wishes we play FSU again to show them what UConn is now as opposed to game 1. And yes I realize they did not have their star point guard. I think it would make for an interesting final. I also think folks will build up the smallest margin win this year and during the streak. That said, beating Dawn would not bother me either....

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Personally I think UConn would be better off playing SC. We've played them recently, and Geno has a plan for minimizing Wilson's production and impact on the game.
In their last meeting, Wilson had 17 points - 5 rebounds - 3 blocks in 34 minutes. Coates had 10 points - 15 rebounds. Coates is out for the season due to injury, so Staley will have to find someone else to replace Coates' production.

If UConn can hold Wilson to 17 points and 5 rebounds again (if they meet), UConn wins going away. UConn held USC to 55 points last time. They can do it again. The NC trophy will be 40 minutes away for the victor. I look for Geno to have his charges well prepared for that game, should they get there, and play their best game of the season. To be honest, right now, our collective focus should be on Oregon, and no where else. Let's win this one first, then look to the next game. Remember, every possession matters. :)

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Honestly, there is something in me that wishes we play FSU again to show them what UConn is now as opposed to game 1. And yes I realize they did not have their star point guard. I think it would make for an interesting final.
That's why I'd prefer to play FSU again. That first win, which of course kept the streak alive, while one fair and square, has that very small asterisk attached to it because Romero was out. I'm fully confident UConn would win that game.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
should be: while won fair and square. It's been a Monday.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom