Massey; Nov. 26 | The Boneyard

Massey; Nov. 26

Reaction Score
NC State. 3
Texas. 4
UCLA 5
U Conn 6

It’s very early, but interesting nevertheless.

Reaction Score
Wait, UCLA beats UConn and drops from #2 to #5. UConn holds steady at #6? Or am I mixing up Massey with the AP poll?

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
This rating can't be right...South Carolina/UCLA have to be 1/2.

North Carolina State: ranked just out of the top 25 preseason. Regardless of
which ratings for Monday November 27 their jump up is incredible. Still
undefeated after routing #3 Colorado this weekend they should be top 5 at worst...and...yes...
ahead of UConn at the moment. How 'bout a tasty rematch late in the tourney?

Reaction Score
Wait, UCLA beats UConn and drops from #2 to #5. UConn holds steady at #6? Or am I mixing up Massey with the AP poll?
You are mixing them up. UCLA was previously 10th in Massey.

Reaction Score
This rating can't be right...South Carolina/UCLA have to be 1/2.

North Carolina State: ranked just out of the top 25 preseason. Regardless of
which ratings for Monday November 27 their jump up is incredible. Still
undefeated after routing #3 Colorado this weekend they should be top 5 at worst...and...yes...
ahead of UConn at the moment. How 'bout a tasty rematch late in the tourney?
NC State has been in the Massey top 5 since it beat UConn.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Massey ratings this early in the season are heavily influenced by last year's results.

One consequence of this is that wins over teams like Maryland, who clearly is down from last year, are overvalued by Massey at this stage.

Maryland finished last season at #8 in Massey; they're currently #19 but I'm not sure they even belong in the top 40 this season.

Reaction Score
Massey ratings this early in the season are heavily influenced by last year's results.

One consequence of this is that wins over teams like Maryland, who clearly is down from last year, are overvalued by Massey at this stage.

Maryland finished last season at #8 in Massey; they're currently #19 but I'm not sure they even belong in the top 40 this season.
Less heavily with each game. It is my understanding that by 10 games the influence from the previous season is gone. I just thought it interesting that three early opponents are 3,4,5. NC State is severely underrated by the polls; Geno did state that he thought they were better this year than last. Just imagine if Rivers had stayed at SC! Ouch.

Reaction Score

You are one of the 3 masters on the BY whose knowledge I respect. So, do you believe as I do that this ranking, based on current performance is a--hate say it this way, a gift. I was expecting in the 8 to 10 range. Now before the frying pans fly--I assume, hope, Uconn will climb in 6 weeks or so, by performance, right now 6 is good.

Reaction Score
You are one of the 3 masters on the BY whose knowledge I respect. So, do you believe as I do that this ranking, based on current performance is a--hate say it this way, a gift. I was expecting in the 8 to 10 range. Now before the frying pans fly--I assume, hope, Uconn will climb in 6 weeks or so, by performance, right now 6 is good.
These ratings are computer generated. Hard to think of it as a gift. If they beat Texas, that would certainly keep them in the upper echelon.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
If you're asking me if I think UConn looks right now like the #6 team in the country, I would say no. Luckily it's a long season; hopefully the play improves.

Again, since Massey rolls over the end-of-season rankings as a starting point for the new season, these early rankings have an "anchoring bias" that phases out gradually. UConn ended last season at #3, so it's likely that this bias is currently skewing our ranking upward to some degree. I also believe that the Maryland and Kansas wins are currently overvalued because of the same anchoring bias.

As my personal rule of thumb, I give Massey little credence until roughly Christmas. I do, however, think that its current top 5 are the teams that have looked the most impressive thus far. Texas is the least tested but has looked very good against lesser foes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The computer isn't as good as a person in some areas and one of those is how close the game really was. It simply measures things by point differential with the different points of emphasis being applied to that. In both games that UConn lost they were blown out of both of these games even though the score ended up respectable.

Regardless of their current ranking they have a lot of work to do to reach their goals.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom