Maryland's OOC Schedule Gets A Look See | The Boneyard

Maryland's OOC Schedule Gets A Look See

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
And comes up short in this reporter's estimation.

Maryland women’s basketball’s schedule is stronger, but might not be enough

Sample:

"The Terps still have a lot of cupcakes on their schedule, with seven teams that had an RPI of over 200 last season. No top-eight team in the NCAA Tournament last year played more than five.

Even if those teams scheduled worse opponents, it wouldn’t hurt them as much as it hurts Maryland. Only four Big Ten teams made the NCAA Tournament, the least of any of the Power Five conferences. With less competition, the Terps have a less of a chance to pick up quality wins than Baylor, Notre Dame, and other top teams."

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Interesting that the writer later in the article gives the following somewhat dubious rationalization of fatigue (are they not young college kids :confused:)

"The Terps still don’t have a schedule fitting of a top program, but a huge challenge may not have helped them this year. Eleanna Christinaki won’t be eligible until the start of conference play, leaving just nine players for the start of the season. A tougher schedule would mean more fatigue, and even if it gets them more prepared for March, the extra minutes early in the season could mean a short postseason."

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Interesting that the writer later in the article gives the following somewhat dubious rationalization of fatigue (are they not young college kids :confused:)

"The Terps still don’t have a schedule fitting of a top program, but a huge challenge may not have helped them this year. Eleanna Christinaki won’t be eligible until the start of conference play, leaving just nine players for the start of the season. A tougher schedule would mean more fatigue, and even if it gets them more prepared for March, the extra minutes early in the season could mean a short postseason."

The only way I can see effort in December affecting players' energy levels in March is if they got injured. I don't think the odds of an injury are an awful lot higher playing a good opponent than playing a cupcake, though. In every other way I can think of (two off the top of my head are conditioning and decision-making), a tougher schedule in December is a good thing come March.

Reaction Score
And comes up short in this reporter's estimation.

Maryland women’s basketball’s schedule is stronger, but might not be enough

Sample:

"The Terps still have a lot of cupcakes on their schedule, with seven teams that had an RPI of over 200 last season. No top-eight team in the NCAA Tournament last year played more than five.

Even if those teams scheduled worse opponents, it wouldn’t hurt them as much as it hurts Maryland. Only four Big Ten teams made the NCAA Tournament, the least of any of the Power Five conferences. With less competition, the Terps have a less of a chance to pick up quality wins than Baylor, Notre Dame, and other top teams."

Not a great OOC schedule. But as a Uconn fan--and having seen the likes of Baylor and others who skooted away after last, DOWN, Season for Uconn--I must give Brenda a high five for scheduling a known top WCBB team this coming season.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It really doesn't matter who the Turtles play this coming season. With the loss of Jones, Walker-Kimbrough, Slocum et al, they're not a top 10 team, and maybe not even a top 20 team.
It could make an even bigger impact come March - Imagine if they are ranked 25'ish at the end of the regular season and get an 8 seed - meaning an almost guaranteed game vs. a 1 seed in the 2nd round. Not saying it WILL happen, but with a crappy SOS, while a top 25 team should be approx. a 5-6 seed, Maryland could end up an 8 or even 9 seed.

Reaction Score
It really doesn't matter who the Turtles play this coming season. With the loss of Jones, Walker-Kimbrough, Slocum et al, they're not a top 10 team, and maybe not even a top 20 team.
All the more reason to give Brenda a pat on the back for taking on this high powered Uconn team in Dec (or any time this year). Jones, who is the least looking BB player since A&M Adams, is a real loss.
Nearly everything went through her.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
All the more reason to give Brenda a pat on the back for taking on this high powered Uconn team in Dec (or any time this year). Jones, who is the least looking BB player since A&M Adams, is a real loss.

Without naming names.... Ive seen plenty of "least looking BB players" besides Jones since Adams...... You should watch more WCBB ;)

Reaction Score
Seeing Brenda Frese , the person & the HC why does that surprise you she ducks a stronger OOC schedule to pad her wins! And hopefully the committee screws up and gives them a higher seed than MD deserves!
I'll stop here as Nan rocked me for what I wrote about BF the last time!
I'll just say I have NO respect for BF!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
How are the AAC teams this year that UConn will be facing after Dec?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Brenda didn't know she was going to lose Slocum and several other talented players to transfer prior to scheduling UConn. That game was scheduled several years ago when she thought she had the best freshman class (now sophomore) in the nation.

Reaction Score
How are the AAC teams this year that UConn will be facing after Dec?

You know very well that question is a false equivalency. UConn, unfortunately, doesn't have the option of CHOOSING which conference to play in. While there is a great deal of choice in ooc games.
You may not have liked the tone of RSHERMVIKES post but your response was nonsensical.

Reaction Score
Seeing Brenda Frese , the person & the HC why does that surprise you she ducks a stronger OOC schedule to pad her wins! And hopefully the committee screws up and gives them a higher seed than MD deserves!
S

You must have said some thing terrible- about Brenda--after the comment on JPM/Duke who seems to be the target of choice on the BY. Kim and clothing seem be the next target of choice.
You must be one bad person.

Reaction Score
You know very well that question is a false equivalency. UConn, unfortunately, doesn't have the option of CHOOSING which conference to play in. While there is a great deal of choice in ooc games.
You may not have liked the tone of RSHERMVIKES post but your response was nonsensical.

I like that---do you mind if I steal your phrase-- False Equivalency--

Reaction Score
Without naming names.... Ive seen plenty of "least looking BB players" besides Jones since Adams. You should watch more WCBB ;)

One game every 20 years is more than I can every watch.

Reaction Score
I agree with this statement. The Terps may not host a NCAA tournament game this season. They have some talent but they have to develop. They only have a 10 player roster so they have to have good luck with injuries which have been a blessing for them the last several year. 2012-13 was the last year they were hit hard with injuries and they had to play a former walk-on in a tournament game against UNC. Charles, Fraser, Christinaki, Watson, Stephanie Jones have some talent but they have to develop. Small and Confroy have to have good senior years. We have only one natural PG and she is a freshman. Don't beat us too badly in Connecticut. We may not schedule you again. :)

Reaction Score
To those that are upset with me for my tone on Brenda Frese the person & HC, IMHO, she is all that's wrong with college athletics! I hope her son stays in remission and has a full recovery! No child should go through that mess at any age!
I've told these many times but it bears repeating..........
1. BF signs on at MN as HC, (the juniors Lindsay Whalen & Janelle McCarvelle etal era). At the press conference she says, "I 'd like to thank the MN administration for giving me my DREAM JOB! I am looking forward to much success at MN!"
BF after the first season bolts MN for the HC at MD job and at the press conference says, "This is truly my dream job and I know we're going to have much success over the next several years!"
2. The year MD won the NCAA title, 2006 in Boston, Jeff Walz was her Associate HC, and was the one voice the players heard from in critical times! After that season his stock was high and he left for the L'ville HC job.
3. There have been heavy rumors of BF and her recruiting tactics being rather shady! Geno in the past has made sly comments, not naming BF but the message got across he wasn't happy with her!
4. A couple of years ago when UCONN went through some early season injuries to critical players and continued to win, and beat MD/BF by about 25 to 30 points and afterwards at the presser BF said if he loses one more HSAA he will have to learn how to coach!
5. As long as BF is naive enough Geno will keep MD on his schedule just so he can kick the crap out of her/MD!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I agree with this statement. The Terps may not host a NCAA tournament game this season. They have some talent but they have to develop. They only have a 10 player roster so they have to have good luck with injuries which have been a blessing for them the last several year. 2012-13 was the last year they were hit hard with injuries and they had to play a former walk-on in a tournament game against UNC. Charles, Fraser, Christinaki, Watson, Stephanie Jones have some talent but they have to develop. Small and Confroy have to have good senior years. We have only one natural PG and she is a freshman. Don't beat us too badly in Connecticut. We may not schedule you again. :)
It will be something of a role reversal during this year's MD-UConn game. Last year the Terps had depth and experience and the Huskies did not. The game was close in part because Gabby & Pheesa got into foul trouble.

This season the Huskies have the depth & experience while the Terps have neither. If the Terps get into foul trouble this year's game could get ugly, unless you enjoy turtle soup. ;)

Reaction Score
As I recall, the MD vs UCONN game this season is the second half of the home & home match ups agreed to before last season. It's not like Brenda had a lot of choice but to play UCONN this season after UCONN went to MD last season,

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Without naming names.... Ive seen plenty of "least looking BB players" besides Jones since Adams. You should watch more WCBB ;)

Chantal Osahor kicked butt for the West Coast Huskies last year, you could definitely tag her w/ the "least looking BB player" label.

Reaction Score
As I recall, the MD vs UCONN game this season is the second half of the home & home match ups agreed to before last season. It's not like Brenda had a lot of choice but to play UCONN this season after UCONN went to MD last season,[

super great.

Reaction Score
Interesting article and shows that the Testudo Times isn't strictly a shill for the UMD athletic department.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score

Buddy lay off whatever you're on... I'll say it over and over again, UConn OOC schedule has to be tough cause their in-conference schedule sucks PERIOD. Dont know what you talking about RSHER for. My comment was about everyone laughing about Maryland's... like UConn play the cream of the crop, they do but only because they have to

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom