Maryland stuff | The Boneyard

Maryland stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Sorry for yet another thread. I like consolidating my thoughts all at once. Going to try not to repeat what others have said.

1. I understand the love for Gabby. I just don't quite agree with it. Call it a strong like for me. She gets into foul trouble too much for my liking.

2. Which leads me to officiating inconsistency. Has to be difficult to coach and play when what exactly constitutes a foul varies from game to game. I am sure it has always been an issue but it seems worse this year.

3. The conference schedule, I am sure, is welcome news for the freshmen. If expanding his depth isn't Gens's number one objective during conference play, I don't know what is.

4. I have been watching early games from last year. Lou's progress from the start of last year to now is ridiculous. Her play tonight was well discussed, to me that left-handed scoop in the second half was well "Sweet".

5. Chong's block and three got much deserved accolades. Her first quarter drive and basket got my attention.

6. I have no proof and I am probably incorrect but Collier looked a little green around the edges also. In the first half , she missed some shots that she always makes and heaven forbid she even dropped a pass. Maybe the first one in 12 games.

Reaction Score
Well Victor... sorry you are not in "love" with Gabby. She plays with heart. She jumps and leaps and grabs rebounds that the 6'5" and taller players should have grabbed. She never quits. She commits fouls but some of them are bogus.... I for one appreciate your statement, but do not think you see the whole picture...

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I would like to rephrase what Ericinsandiego posted. This game presented the best of both worlds. Yes, it was a great win against a contending team. Lots of positives. But also some teachable moments. There were definitely some "shake your head" moments for Geno. I'm sure he will be glad to go over them as well. Some of the turnovers, especially from Nurse. CD playing like a freshman at times. Gabby and Collier in foul trouble, again. Butler not playing strong enough, at least in my humble opinion.

UConn is definitely a great example where the team is greater than the sum of its parts.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Nice!
On #2 - inconsistency game to game exists everywhere in sports - different strike zone by different umps, more or less leniency for offensive linemen holding, or levels of contact in basketball. The bigger issue is consistency within a game and within a crew working a game. If two refs aren't in synch then as they rotate from front court to back-court as they switch ends, they are seeing and calling different things on the same post or wing play. And if they are inconsistent as a group no one knows what a fouls is.
Players learn pretty quickly to adjust the amount of contact that is permitted with consistent refs - they may pick up a single foul based on the different style game to game, but they change their play and one foul isn't a big deal. Uconn is very smart in making those adjustments, but no one can adjust to inconsistency.

Reaction Score
1-- I've been getting more and more excited of Gabby's play of late. The way she is playing to me as of late-- she is in consideration of 1st team all-american. She creates matchup problems. This allows Collier to be more of a scorer and Gabby's ability to put the ball on the floor allows our shooters more opportunities to shoot the 3. If we weren't such a tremendous shooting team from three- maybe her strength of handling the ball at the top of the key would be a bit limited. But so far bigs struggle mightily to guard her.

Tonight's game 8-15 from the floor. 16 pts. Nine rebounds and 5 assists and two turnovers. With 1 block and two steals

3-- IMO the conference schedule is welcome to give our Super 4 some rest so they don't wear down. I am hopeful that we won't have many nailbiters and hopeful that Danger can raise her game. I'm elated how well Saniya played tonight. I've been elated with Nat's overall performance vs the real bigs so far. Hopefully all the players can get better as the season progresses with no injuries. It would be nice if Bent and Kyla could contribute but as we've seen this month, it's not necessary. Especially if Danger can elevate her game.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Well Victor... sorry you are not in "love" with Gabby. She plays with heart. She jumps and leaps and grabs rebounds that the 6'5" and taller players should have grabbed. She never quits. She commits fouls but some of them are bogus.... I for one appreciate your statement, but do not think you see the whole picture...

Count me as another in love with Gabby. It would be nice to lower some fouls but what she does on the court is amazing.
When coaches say leave it all out on the floor, she comes the closest. She is always spent at the end of the game. No one else is giving up so much height and weight in their guarding assignments and then hunting passes.

Reaction Score
I would like to rephrase what Ericinsandiego posted. This game presented the best of both worlds. Yes, it was a great win against a contending team. Lots of positives. But also some teachable moments. There were definitely some "shake your head" moments for Geno. I'm sure he will be glad to go over them as well. Some of the turnovers, especially from Nurse. CD playing like a freshman at times. Gabby and Collier in foul trouble, again. Butler not playing strong enough, at least in my humble opinion.

UConn is definitely a great example where the team is greater than the sum of its parts.

I thought UCONN played tremendous considering it to be an away game and we had a flu issue. These are college kids not pros. One can't expect 2015-216 NCAA Tourney flawless Miss State play every game vs top tier teams. We put up 87 points away from home in which our premiere scorer was sick as a dog and possibly other players were also sick. This shows our offense certainly is a machine.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Sorry for yet another thread. I like consolidating my thoughts all at once. Going to try not to repeat what others have said.
1. I understand the love for Gabby. I just don't quite agree with it. Call it a strong like for me. She gets into foul trouble too much for my liking.

2. Which leads me to officiating inconsistency. Has to be difficult to coach and play when what exactly constitutes a foul varies from game to game. I am sure it has always been an issue but it seems worse this year.

3. The conference schedule, I am sure, is welcome news for the freshmen. If expanding his depth isn't Gens's number one objective during conference play, I don't know what is.

4. I have been watching early games from last year. Lou's progress from the start of last year to now is ridiculous. Her play tonight was well discussed, to me that left-handed scoop in the second half was well "Sweet".

5. Chong's block and three got much deserved accolades. Her first quarter drive and basket got my attention.

6. I have no proof and I am probably incorrect but Collier looked a little green around the edges also. In the first half , she missed some shots that she always makes and heaven forbid she even dropped a pass. Maybe the first one in 12 games.
1) I love Gabby because she been playing out of position for 3 years now and doing a damn good job.
2) Geno got in his dig about the officiating crew at the end of the MD presser.
3) Rest, Avoiding injury and fine tuning will be Geno's objectives during the conference schedule. UCONN may not have another competitive game for the rest of the season besides SC. ND, Baylor, MD, TX FSU and others have to earn the right to play UCONN again this year. Nothing is guaranteed except UCONN will not have to play all of them-think of the FF from last year, Oregon State and Syracuse weren't much more competitive than say USF.
4) Agree completely, Kara Lawson explained it best she has transformed from a shooter into a scorer. Scorers are much more dangerous. She has also improved her defense tremendously. Go back and watch the ND game and tOSU games. Arike and Kelsey Mitchell are about as good as it get as perimeter players, KLS contained both on several switches in those games.
5) Good point. Everyone will rember the two dagger threes against MD and the block, but the aggressive tone Saniya set in driving to the basket this year was more noteworthy IMO. Last year also the two steals, reverse layup, assist to MoJeff & assists to Stewie right before the half allowed UCONN to go into the locker room on a roll when it looked like it was not going to be their half.
6) Napheesa & KLS are roommates. Chance if one had a bug the other likely had it also. In the post game presser Geno was asked if KLS was the only one "suffering" from something. Geno did not give names but his answer led me to believe KLS was NOT the only one suffering from something.

Last edited:

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
As to the OP's point of Gabby getting into foul trouble, that's kind of a red herring. Her first couple of games she drew two quick fouls and sat. Until tonight, she has not been in foul trouble. Look at the ND game. Gabby has learned and is learning how to play against taller players and use her athletic gifts to her advantage.

Tonight the officiating was inconsistent. At least one foul on Gabby was bogus.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
First UConn game I saw most of. Love competitive games where I don't have a favorite. Stress-free. UConn is as amazing as ever. There are aspects of the way you play that were the essence of what I first saw back when RU first joined the oBE. Very impressive.

You folks worry too much - even if you lose a game later this year or next year or whenever - it just doesn't matter. If you do, it will be an extremely isolated incident. Things look pretty solid for the next several years and beyond. The most amazing thing is the 1 loss in 130ish games. To me, more impressive than just the winning streak - you did that before. Just amazing.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Count me as another in love with Gabby. It would be nice to lower some fouls but what she does on the court is amazing.
When coaches say leave it all out on the floor, she comes the closest. She is always spent at the end of the game. No one else is giving up so much height and weight in their guarding assignments and then hunting passes.

She's the female equivalent of Kevin Freeman...a real warrior.

Reaction Score
Gabby - sweeter than an energy drink and far more effective. I've not seen anyone like her at UCONN or any other team. She's all over the place, does everything you could hope for and totally disrupts opponents and she never quits. May we always have one like her on our team.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
She's the female equivalent of Kevin Freeman...a real warrior.
upload_2016-12-30_8-2-29.jpeg

(I know him but I just thought this pic would be funny, Men's asst. coach... Jake V's buddy)

Reaction Score
First UConn game I saw most of. Love competitive games where I don't have a favorite. Stress-free. UConn is as amazing as ever. There are aspects of the way you play that were the essence of what I first saw back when RU first joined the oBE. Very impressive.

You folks worry too much - even if you lose a game later this year or next year or whenever - it just doesn't matter. If you do, it will be an extremely isolated incident. Things look pretty solid for the next several years and beyond. The most amazing thing is the 1 loss in 130ish games. To me, more impressive than just the winning streak - you did that before. Just amazing.

I agree. I think fans get spoiled. We're up by 5 at halftime away from home vs a top tier team and someone suggests "we're playing like a CYO team?"

We played a terrific game. I don't see how there can be any significant negative. They are college players. Not pros. They aren't going to play perfect other than rarified game. These are college players. They aren't pros.

Reaction Score
I thought about my comments, UConn wins by 20, Maryland freshmen will be rattled by our defense, plus all the others, bla, bla bla. Here comes Mother Nature and all that went right out the door. No one will ever know what the outcome would have been had she kept her distance. You can plan, prep and talk all you want but when your player/players are sick their sick and there isn't a whole lot you can do about it. I think Geno just learned a whole lot more about this years team and drive to be better and give 150%.

Reaction Score
I like the way Gabby, jumping high, intercepts passes intended for post players.

Reaction Score
1) I love Gabby because she been playing out of position for 3 years now and doing a damn good job.
2) Geno got in his dig about the officiating crew at the end of the MD presser.
3) Rest, Avoiding injury and fine tuning will be Geno's objectives during the conference schedule. UCONN may not have another competitive game for the rest of the season besides SC. ND, Baylor, MD, TX FSU and others have to earn the right to play UCONN again this year. Nothing is guaranteed except UCONN will not have to play all of them-think of the FF from last year, Oregon State and Syracuse weren't much more competitive than say USF.
4) Agree completely, Kara Lawson explained it best she has transformed from a shooter into a scorer. Scorers are much more dangerous. She has also improved her defense tremendously. Go back and watch the ND game and tOSU games. Arike and Kelsey Mitchell are about as good as it get as perimeter players, KLS contained both on several switches in those games.
5) Good point. Everyone will rember the two dagger threes against MD and the block, but the aggressive tone Saniya set in driving to the basket this year was more noteworthy IMO. Last year also the two steals, reverse layup, assist to MoJeff & assists to Stewie right before the half allowed UCONN to go into the locker room on a roll when it looked like it was not going to be their half.
6) Napheesa & KLS are roommates. Chance if one had a bug the other likely had it also. In the post game presser Geno was asked if KLS was the only one "suffering" from something. Geno did not give names but his answer led me to believe KLS was NOT the only one suffering from something.
+1000
6 for 6 Coco!

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
As to the OP's point of Gabby getting into foul trouble, that's kind of a red herring... Tonight the officiating was inconsistent. At least one foul on Gabby was bogus.

You are correct, HN. It had to be very difficult for the players to know what definition of "foul" was at the root of several calls, not all of which were adverse to the Huskies. MD Turtles had more bodies in the rotation, so it appeared less dramatic for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom