Maryland Post-Game Interviews | The Boneyard

Maryland Post-Game Interviews

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Brenda, from the ESPN writeup:

"I thought we grew as a team," said coach Brenda Frese. "With a very inexperienced freshman-sophomore backcourt, to be able to force UConn into 25 turnovers I thought was extremely positive for our group. To be able to get 72 points up against the defense that they play, force 16 steals, some very positive things for our young team to be able to build off of."

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

"I thought we grew as a team," said coach Brenda Frese. "With a very inexperienced freshman-sophomore backcourt, to be able to force UConn into 25 turnovers I thought was extremely positive for our group. To be able to get 72 points up against the defense that they play, force 16 steals, some very positive things for our young team to be able to build off of."
I guess you have to look for positives wherever you can after getting blown out. While UConn’s passing was atrocious, I’ll even give the Turtles credit for the TO’s, but I can’t give her credit for the points. The Turtles scored all of 21 pts in the 1st half when starters & key reserves were matched up, with Gabby picking pockets like a thief in Times Square.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
good news about Lou. A month? who knows, but she'll be back in plenty of time for the grueling conference schedule...

Not just the conference schedule, actually. The toughest OOC challenges might be those in January and February. Looking at the ten remaining OOC games, I would divide them into two tiers:

Tier 1: UCLA, Notre Dame, Texas, South Carolina, Louisville
Tier 2: Michigan State, Nevada, DePaul, Oklahoma, Duquesne​

Tier 2 teams are IMO not a realistic threat to UConn. (I believe the one possible wild card is if DePaul were to go crazy and make 20+ three-pointers.)

Tier 1 teams are the true contenders, and we won't face 60% of them until mid-January to mid-February. KLS will miss the UCLA game on Tuesday and is questionable for the Notre Dame game in two weeks. But the Texas game is almost two months away, on January 15. It appears very reasonable to think KLS will be back by then.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Geno on Z late in the post game is very interesting; does she want it enough and does she understand her capabilities. Work to do, mostly between the ears.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
He's called the freshmen in 1998-1999 (Tamika Williams, Swin Cash, Sue Bird [Sue Bird!], Asjha Jones) the worst group of freshmen in terms of passing he's ever seen.
Geno's trotting out one of his "Golden Oldies."

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Geno on Z late in the post game is very interesting; does she want it enough and does she understand her capabilities. Work to do, mostly between the ears.

To my amateur eyes, I think she is very active on defense and rebounding and I cant imagine much more improvement on that end other than perhaps more conditioning and familiarity with her teammates. I think her mentality on offense is where she needs to be more dominant and it will come.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

I think we are actively trying to build up the psyche of all the teams we play by letting them win 4th quarters and sometimes third quarters. Who says we are bad for WCBB? :rolleyes:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
good news about Lou. A month? who knows, but she'll be back in plenty of time for the grueling conference schedule...

A month?, no. He said at least 3 more games. That means she will not play in any games on their west coast rode trip (UCLA, Michigan St, and Nevada).
UConn's first game when they return will be Notre Dame at the XL center Sunday Dec 3. She may be ready (and cleared) to play by then. Lou's injury guarantees more minutes for Stevens and Walker, who has been promoted to 6th man. The injury will also afford some bench players the opportunity to raise their stock value.

UCLA is in the midst of an eight game home stand to begin the season. UConn will be the only other ranked team they've played as of Tuesday. They beat Baylor 82-68 today Minus head coach Kim Mulkey (mourning the death of her grandson), and Lauren Cox (suffering from complications of diabetes). UCLA (3-0) is ranked #8 in the AP top 25, and will be the most formidable team for UConn on this road trip.

Michigan State
(3-0) Nov 25th, is 3-0 (all mid-majors), ranked just outside the top 25 at #30; will play Detroit Mercy on Nov 21st. UConn will be their first ranked team of the season.

Nevada
(1-2) will host Sacramento State on the 24th before entertaining the Huskies on Tues Nov 28. UConn will also be their first ranked opponent of the season.
The Wolfpack finished 11-19 (10th) last season in the Mountain West Conference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
A month?, no. He said at least 3 more games. That means she will not play in any games on their west coast rode trip (UCLA, Michigan St, and Nevada).
UConn's first game when they return will be Notre Dame at the XL center Sunday Dec 3. She may be ready (and cleared) to play by then. Lou's injury guarantees more minutes for Stevens and Walker, who has been promoted to 6th man. The injury will also afford some bench players the opportunity to raise their stock value.

UCLA is in the midst of an eight game home stand to begin the season. UConn will be the only other ranked team they've played this as of Tuesday. They beat Baylor 82-68 today Minus head coach Kim Mulkey (mourning the death of her grandson), and Lauren Cox (suffering from complications of diabetes). UCLA (3-0) is ranked #8 in the AP top 25, and will be the most formidable team for UConn on this road trip.

Michigan State
(3-0) Nov 25th, is 3-0 (all mid-majors), ranked just outside the top 25 at #30; will play Detroit Mercy on Nov 21st. UConn will be their first ranked team of the season.

Nevada
(1-2) will host Sacramento State on the 24th before entertaining the Huskies on Tues Nov 28. UConn will also be their first ranked opponent of the season.
The Wolfpack finished 11-19 (10th) last season in the Mountain West Conference.
Geno said the medical staff said two weeks, but in his mind that means a month because he's a pessimist. That was a pretty serious looking boot she had on today. Wouldn't be shocked to see her out until after the holidays.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Geno said the medical staff said two weeks, but in his mind that means a month because he's a pessimist.

I think that was Geno's hypothetical example of how he treats info from the medics.

Reaction Score

You was thinking what I was thinking.She just don't get it. I liked how she didn't noticed they had 41 after 3 quarters and was down 34 meaning @UconnNation the 4th quarter is garbage time.

But on that note. Maryland did play hard

Carnac

Reaction Score
Geno said the medical staff said two weeks, but in his mind that means a month because he's a pessimist. That was a pretty serious looking boot she had on today. Wouldn't be shocked to see her out until after the holidays.

Yes, I remember him saying that too. They are going to err on the side of caution. They are not going to rush her back. They can win without her, plus it will give other players an opportunity to get more minutes. Her being out will have a domino effect on the bench. :cool:

Reaction Score
I think that was Geno's hypothetical example of how he treats info from the medics.
Does anyone ever come back early from an injury? Seems like no. Just look at Batouly. 2-3 weeks is now going to end up being a month.

Carnac

Reaction Score
You was thinking what I was thinking.She just don't get it. I liked how she didn't noticed they had 41 after 3 quarters and was down 34 meaning @UconnNation the 4th quarter is garbage time.

No doubt she saw this as a "learning opportunity/moment" for her team. She knew there was a butt whuppin waiting for her and her team at the XL Arena today. Nobody looks forward to playing UConn, especially on the road. This was one game I'm sure Brenda is glad to have behind her. :cool:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Does anyone ever come back early from an injury? Seems like no. Just look at Batouly. 2-3 weeks is now going to end up being a month.

We can hope, but if you have a AA , an AA who had expanded her game markedly before going down, you will err on the side of caution. Batouly's injury: I think the true extent of it was not appreciated in the early going.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Exactly. Brenda went out of her way to draw the margin down. Well, honey, it's still a huge trounce. At least she's by the Geno gets all the good players period in her coaching life ... for now.

Reaction Score
We can hope, but if you have a AA , an AA who had expanded her game markedly before going down, you will err on the side of caution. Batouly's injury: I think the true extent of it was not appreciated in the early going.
I just hope they can put something to protect that foot. KLS does not have good luck in the health department.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom