Maryland lawsuit and more from "The Dude" | The Boneyard

Maryland lawsuit and more from "The Dude"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not that I give any credibility to "The Dude" but his last tweet was the following:

The Dude of WV@theDudeofWV
UMD will subpoena ACC's tv contract, by-laws, details of deals with ND and ESPN correspondence as part of pre-trail discovery.

At a minimum if they are going to get all that info out in the public it's going to be some red meat for alot of people. Maryland might be able to get away with a low payment if the boys at ESPN and Notre Dame don't want the dirty laundry out there.

He is also tweeting that the Big10 isnt done and looking at BC, and Ga Tech which makes so little sense it will probably happen. Actually I am going to say right now that BC will end up in the B1G becasue it is always tossed into the mix but nobody really thinks it would happen so it must have some validity. and that the Big12 is eying 4 though I think the Big12 is done for now unless the B1G acts. SO maybe... if this does end we will go to an ACC that is an empty shell.

Reaction Score
Not that I give any credibility to "The Dude" but his last tweet was the following:

UMD will subpoena ACC's tv contract, by-laws, details of deals with ND and ESPN correspondence as part of pre-trail discovery.

At a minimum if they are going to get all that info out in the public it's going to be some red meat for alot of people. Maryland might be able to get away with a low payment if the boys at ESPN and Notre Dame don't want the dirty laundry out there.

If the dudes tweet is correct this is a good move my umd. If there is some kind of dirty laundry and back room dealings between espn and the ACC then they have to let umd go on the cheap. That will tear the ACC up. B1G takes two Big 12 takes four to six. Hopefully we end up in there. The real wild card here is if PAC takes four from the big 12. That opens up a whole new can of worms.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This is garden variety lawsuit stuff, and there is no reason to pull punches when $50MM is due.

Reaction Score
Fr any members of the Bar (not that bar HFD), curious for insight on the following factors and if they'd have any bearing on UMd's exit fee, as it is negotiated amongst their lawyers:
1) ACC filled UMd's slot in a weeks time, and the TV contract has not been altered (for better or worse) with the change. Could UMd make the case that $50 million is an unfair value on the impact of their leaving?
2) SU and Pitt were allowed to vote in the decision to increase the exit fee to $50 million, but not allowed a vote on invitation of future members. Both matters directly impacted both schools future. Why is that? Could UMd make a case challenging the ACC granting these schools a vote in one item but not the other (both votes do impact those yet to join schools)as being solely for the purpose of getting the $50M passed, and even if they had more than enough votes without them create the argument that certain schools (Clemson and maybe another) votes were influenced by their addition. By this I mean Clemson was opposed to the increase, but knew they didn't have the votes so they voted along party lines to keep a semblance of continuity.

Curious what if any bearing this would have on a case. Probably none, but just thought I'd ask.

Reaction Score

Just a guess on my part, but MD probably has the by laws, the ND details and the TV contract details. The correspondence, that is a 2 way street. How much correspondence does MD/B1G have that they don't want to have aired in public.

This is the BC/BE litigation part 2. You changed the exit requirements but we don't think you did it right, so we are not going to pay. The only difference in this case may be the way the exit fee is worded in this case versus the BC case, where the exit fee was worded and viewed as 100% punitive and, in the BC case, it was ruled that it was enacted outside the process established in the by laws.

Reaction Score
Just a guess on my part, but MD probably has the by laws, the ND details and the TV contract details. The correspondence, that is a 2 way street. How much correspondence does MD/B1G have that they don't want to have aired in public.

This is the BC/BE litigation part 2. You changed the exit requirements but we don't think you did it right, so we are not going to pay. The only difference in this case may be the way the exit fee is worded in this case versus the BC case, where the exit fee was worded and viewed as 100% punitive and, in the BC case, it was ruled that it was enacted outside the process established in the by laws.
I don't think UMD has the tv contract. The reports (or rumors...I can't keep track of what is what anymore) stated Swofford did no share the details with the conferences universities

Reaction Score
Fr any members of the Bar (not that bar HFD), curious for insight on the following factors and if they'd have any bearing on UMd's exit fee, as it is negotiated amongst their lawyers:
1) ACC filled UMd's slot in a weeks time, and the TV contract has not been altered (for better or worse) with the change. Could UMd make the case that $50 million is an unfair value on the impact of their leaving?
2) SU and Pitt were allowed to vote in the decision to increase the exit fee to $50 million, but not allowed a vote on invitation of future members. Both matters directly impacted both schools future. Why is that? Could UMd make a case challenging the ACC granting these schools a vote in one item but not the other (both votes do impact those yet to join schools)as being solely for the purpose of getting the $50M passed, and even if they had more than enough votes without them create the argument that certain schools (Clemson and maybe another) votes were influenced by their addition. By this I mean Clemson was opposed to the increase, but knew they didn't have the votes so they voted along party lines to keep a semblance of continuity.

Curious what if any bearing this would have on a case. Probably none, but just thought I'd ask.

I think a lot of what you brought up has merit. The exit fees enforced the last few years were generally commiserate with the damages to the league due to scheduling and what not. This fee is punitive, and I don't see how this fee could be enforced unquestionably if there were basically no damages to the league from Maryland's departure. A lot of material things have changed since the exit fee was voted on. Does ND have an exit fee, and if not why are they given exemption? One could argue that even adding a team in the first place would void the exit fee. Maybe some of these schools would have never signed if they knew ND would be added or the terms of their addition. I'm no lawyer, but it doesn't seem to pass muster to me.

Reaction Score
I wonder what the ediscovery costs will be for this lawsuit? I assume they are going to want to search lots of emails. At some point it may be cheaper to settle, but if I am the ACC I want MD to pay the full amount.

Reaction Score

He is also tweeting that the Big10 isnt done and looking at BC, and Ga Tech which makes so little sense it will probably happen. Actually I am going to say right now that BC will end up in the B1G becasue it is always tossed into the mix but nobody really thinks it would happen so it must have some validity. and that the Big12 is eying 4 though I think the Big12 is done for now unless the B1G acts. SO maybe... if this does end we will go to an ACC that is an empty shell.

UConn ending up in an ACC that's an empty shell has been my great nightmare in this realignment. That's why I feel so strongly about UConn needing a B1G invite. Stability trumps ACC.

Reaction Score
I wonder what the ediscovery costs will be for this lawsuit? I assume they are going to want to search lots of emails. At some point it may be cheaper to settle, but if I am the ACC I want MD to pay the full amount.
I'd imagine this settles. E-disc is a bitch. I would not be shcoked if there's an email out there that would burry the ACC. Swofford locking the contract away is too shady and leads me to believe there is something the ACC will not want to produce regarding either the Raycom or ND/espn agreement

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
So that we're clear here: we are actually rooting for Maryland to win something? Ugh.

Worst. Sports week. Ever...

Reaction Score
Boston College being in a major conference is the most insane thing ever. They have no fans and no athletic success, UConn is light years ahead of them in success and fans, it's so sad we haven't sold ourselves.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UConn ending up in an ACC that's an empty shell has been my great nightmare in this realignment. That's why I feel so strongly about UConn needing a B1G invite. Stability trumps ACC.
UConn ending up in the flaming wreckage of the Big East after everyone else, including some aggressive middle school conferences, have taken what they want from it has been my great nightmare in this realignment. That's why I feel so strongly that I need to buy more liquor.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
What does garden variety lawsuit stuff mean

It means you do discovery. Asking for all the relevant contracts is not particularly surprising. The fact that Maryland never saw the ESPN TV deal seems absurd, and very surprising if true. The speed at which this seems to be moving is very surprising.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Boston College being in a major conference is the most insane thing ever. They have no fans and no athletic success, UConn is light years ahead of them in success and fans, it's so sad we haven't sold ourselves.
Supposedly the AAU membership would be a sticking point for UConn, yet BC is not an AAU member either.......

BC may has the market size over us and a top-flight hockey program, as well as being a higher rated institution. We've got a larger fanbase, exclusive control of our market, more like-sized institution to the B1G and better fan support of our athletic department. However, we really win either way if BC or UConn went to the B1G - but us going to the B1G is the real prize.

caw

Reaction Score
I'm not saying UConn makes sense, but BC makes zero sense for the B1G.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I'm not saying UConn makes sense, but BC makes zero sense for the B1G.
There seems to be a lot of that going around lately.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
What a bitter divorce. I am thinking independence would be best for UConn. :confused:

caw

Reaction Score
What a bitter divorce. I am thinking independence would be best for UConn. :confused:

May end up at that if the basketball only schools decide to break the Big East apart (huge mistake on their part IMO).

Reaction Score
Someone in our Athletic Department received a phone call today.

Reaction Score

If we can figure out the financials then do it. I just don't see how we get on TV and get enough money to keep the lights on.

Reaction Score

that's kind of like a homeless guy saying he'd rather have a house than an apartment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom