Maryland jettisoned James Franklin to hire the "NAME" coach Edsall | The Boneyard

Maryland jettisoned James Franklin to hire the "NAME" coach Edsall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There's the warning for everyone who wants to hire the big splash name. Maryland got rid of Franklin to bring in Edsall.

Maryland even had a hot young QB, ACC rookie of the year, and Edsall came in, threw his weight around and blew up the nine win team so he could win 2 games the Edsall way, followed by 4 the next year.

Probably more than 50% of Maryland fans still dislike Edsall and many downright despise the guy.

So there you go, jettison Weist and risk the consequences. BTW Weist will have other options.

Weist's mannerisms on the sideline remind me of Pete Carroll. I say keep him and lets shift focus to bringing in a rising"name" defensive coordinator. I recommend Bowling Green's DC.

Last edited:

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Not even close to the same situation. I like Weist and think he has helped UCONN gain some honor after the FHCPP disaster.

Reaction Score
Maryland fans don't dislike Edsall for getting rid of O'Brien. He was the player who tried to lead a mutiny because he didn't like Coach Edsall's style of coaching (holding players accountable). O'Brien left and was subsequently riding the pine at Wisconsin.

Reaction Score
If Maryland had vetted Edsall as I hope WM is vetting his guys they should have seen the discipline crackdown-ensuing departures were coming. TBH think that what Kevin Anderson was looking for, cleaning up an undisciplined program.

Don't see Narduzzi-Lembo-Clawson equaling Edsall IMO.

Uconnrick

Twisted, but still lovable.
Reaction Score
There's the warning for everyone who wants to hire the big splash name. Maryland got rid of Franklin to bring in Edsall.

Maryland even had a hot young QB, ACC rookie of the year, and Edsall came in, threw his weight around and blew up the nine win team so he could win 2 games the Edsall way, followed by 4 the next year.

Probably more than 50% of Maryland fans still dislike Edsall and many downright despise the guy.

So there you go, jettison Weist and risk the consequences. BTW Weist will have other options.

Weist's mannerisms on the sideline remind me of Pete Carroll. I say keep him and lets shift focus to bringing in a rising"name" defensive coordinator.
What he said!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Not even close to the same situation. I like Weist and think he has helped UCONN gain some honor after the FHCPP disaster.

The comparison is that TJ is like Franklin. A lesser name coach already in the program. And the possibility that UConn goes with a "name" coach and then TJ flourishes eslewhere.

Reaction Score
Maryland hired FHCRE in large part to bring more discipline. The fans didn't like it, but the AD and President did.

Reaction Score
Maryland fans don't dislike Edsall for getting rid of O'Brien. He was the player who tried to lead a mutiny because he didn't like Coach Edsall's style

This is exactly my point. TJ is now popular with the team, bring in the wrong guy and piss off the players, and bingo you are starting all over again.

There is a real risk this could happen.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
metsfan2323 said:
This is exactly my point. TJ is now popular with the team, bring in the wrong guy and piss off the players, and bingo you are starting all over again.

There is a real risk this could happen.

Just stop. Players play. Athletic directors hire coaches. This is foolishness.

Reaction Score
Not always, sometimes they quit on their new coach.

And if they do, they do not belong on the team. I don't want any player on this team that would quit on a coach. You play the players that line up with you, and you play because of pride. I know it sounds cliche, but it is the truth. Reducing your effort because of the coach shows a complete lack of character.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not always, sometimes they quit on their new coach. Maryland quit on Edsall in 2011, and our players quit on P this year.

Sure and you don't realize that's a problem with the players.

They hired Edsall to clear out those players - even if you don't get that.

Reaction Score
Sure and you don't realize that's a problem with the players.

They hired Edsall to clear out those players - even if you don't get that.

Was quitting on P a problem with the players?

Reaction Score

If players really quit on P, absolutely it is a reflection on the players who reduced their effort. However, I like to believe that none of the players on this team would show that lack of character.

Reaction Score
If players really quit on P, absolutely it is a reflection on the players who reduced their effort. However, I like to believe that none of the players on this team would show that lack of character.
The players quit on P, because they didn't believe in him. With Edsall you likely had a bunch of players that felt extreme loyalty to Fridge and didn't buy in. P demoralized these players with his decision making, but they absolutley quit on him.

Reaction Score
I think the OL quit or mentally drained by the schemes of GDL. I am not convinced the rest of the team quit on anyone. And I agree that you always try and play your best, you never quit, and quitting is a sign of lack of character.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think the OL quit or mentally drained by the schemes of GDL. I am not convinced the rest of the team quit on anyone. And I agree that you always try and play your best, you never quit, and quitting is a sign of lack of character.

Your internet must have been down for the Buffalo game. They mailed that game in so badly, Buffalo had to coverage some of the postage.

Reaction Score
Your internet must have been down for the Buffalo game. They mailed that game in so badly, Buffalo had to coverage some of the postage.
Anyone who watched that knew P wasn't seeing game 5, unless Warde was brain dead. Players were jogging. Literally jogging. Afterwards P is talking about he is still having fun coaching. I think he was delirious.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Turns out Bill Stewart was not such a bad coach either. WVU chased the big name and the guy is wildly inconsistent. Stewart had some stinkers, but he had a lot of wins too.

Going after the name coach to get a name coach is a bad idea. That doesn't mean UConn shouldn't get a name coach, I am just saying UConn should make sure they are going after him for the right reasons.

Reaction Score
You ever drive with a flat tire? The car wobbles, do you blame the other three tires for the bad driving performance of your car?
Yea, it sure felt like the whole team quit at Buffalo, I agree.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You ever drive with a flat tire? The car wobbles, do you blame the other three tires for the bad driving performance of your car?
Yea, it sure felt like the whole team quit at Buffalo, I agree.

I'm also fairly sure the offensive line didn't give up 60 to UCF - the first 28 in a blink.

Reaction Score
I'm also fairly sure the offensive line didn't give up 60 to UCF - the first 28 in a blink.
You like cherries huh? The OL didn't exactly light it up in that game either. In that game, and in a bunch of other games. Now, what exactly don't you understand about the fact that one part of machine failing/quitting has an adverse affect on the other parts?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You like cherries huh? The OL didn't exactly light it up in that game either. In that game, and in a bunch of other games. Now, what exactly don't you understand about the fact that one part of machine failing/quitting has an adverse affect on the other parts?

The offensive line was brutal. Just can't see how you claim they quit but no one else did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom