Maryland Game Analysis | The Boneyard

Maryland Game Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With a contribution from Geno.
Maryland-UConn was a game of runs

Paraphrasing: If MD meets Uconn in post season, because this almost win for MD, the outcome could be very different!!
I agree, with healthy and more experienced players, Slocum will be lucky to have 10. Brenda did not acknowledge the illness of KLS who was "held to 2 of 8 shooting in the first half"---Katie made more difficult shots in the 3rd quarter--after a brief half rest.

Reaction Score
Paraphrasing: If MD meets Uconn in post season, because this almost win for MD, the outcome could be very different!!
I agree, with healthy and more experienced players, Slocum will be lucky to have 10. Brenda did not acknowledge the illness of KLS who was "held to 2 of 8 shooting in the first half"---Katie made more difficult shots in the 3rd quarter--after a brief half rest.
I agree that her remark that Katy Lou "was held" is idiotic and unless she has access to viruses that she can inflict again, a healthy and improving KLS won't be HELD next time around, at all.

Reaction Score
Maryland can cut the lead from 19 to 5 because UConn had foul troubles.
Next time that problems can be minimized.

Reaction Score

Because of that Foul trouble --with 19 point lead Geno slowed down his game, guarded very loosely to avoid further fouls--allowing MD to score easily--then he opted to "stall for 30 seconds each position" --MD fouled--Geno put only the shooter on the Foul line--enabling MD to get the rebound--keeping his kids from fouling--it was all a educated gamble--and Geno won.
Next time--Uconn will have 7 well players--if Uconn was tight D on Jones she would have fouled out--came close. Natalie during these AAC games will learn when to stay with a big and when she can leave that player. Danger is getting an education every game--the smart kid will be ready for the nCAA's.
I like the way you think.

Reaction Score

I agree with your first sentence, but what can be done about the horrendous officiating on display in both the women's and men's game. Fundamental mistakes in the mechanics of officiating are being committed during the course of any game you watch.
I'm not getting down on them for the close ones or bang-bang plays. Those fall into the human aspect of their task. I'm not even laying the rediculous areas of emphasis that call touch fouls in one part of the court, but allow for assault in others. The NCAA is in control of that. But when you are consistently out of position, but make calls that are not yours to make because another official has the best angle on the play, there should be corrective consequences, as there should be for the official whose call it properly was, but failed to wave off the erroneous one.
The number of phantom calls against both teams in just about any game is absurd, as is their impact on the game.

(Rant ended)

Reaction Score
I agree with your first sentence, but what can be done about the horrendous officiating on display in both the women's and men's game. Fundamental mistakes in the mechanics of officiating are being committed during the course of any game you watch.
I'm not getting down on them for the close ones or bang-bang plays. Those fall into the human aspect of their task. I'm not even laying the rediculous areas of emphasis that call touch fouls in one part of the court, but allow for assault in others. The NCAA is in control of that. But when you are consistently out of position, but make calls that are not yours to make because another official has the best angle on the play, there should be corrective consequences, as there should be for the official whose call it properly was, but failed to wave off the erroneous one.
The number of phantom calls against both teams in just about any game is absurd, as is their impact on the game. (Rant ended)

I don't dispute that refereeing often sucks, but I do want to say that, as a former (and mercifully and rightly fired) referee, it's extremely difficult to get it right. Just the other night, the NBA admitted that the refs blew the GS-Cleveland game, and that only came up because the game was so closely contested and so important. Yes, I guess if the NCAA could hire full-time refs ($$$) it would make some difference. But the fact is that often it is a bang-bang play with players moving quickly and blocking the refs' best angles of vision. Even in baseball, a relatively static game, so many calls are now reversed on instant replay and the behind-the-plate umpire misses maybe 15% of the balls and strikes, according to the TV strike zone. And those are the best trained referees/umpires in American professional sports.

I was deeply, deeply relieved when I was told my services were no longer needed.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I think we could talk officiating forever and the day after forever it would still be the same. In case you hadn't noticed there is a lot of convoluted jabbering going on about officiating in the NBA. Human error I can live with. Shaded calling not so much. Allowing people to beat up on stars, BS. Calling a game like the 95 Championship, nto okay. Game should not be about referees, period.

Reaction Score
I don't dispute that refereeing often sucks, but I do want to say that, as a former (and mercifully and rightly fired) referee, it's extremely difficult to get it right. Just the other night, the NBA admitted that the refs blew the GS-Cleveland game, and that only came up because the game was so closely contested and so important. Yes, I guess if the NCAA could hire full-time refs ($$$) it would make some difference. But the fact is that often it is a bang-bang play with players moving quickly and blocking the refs' best angles of vision. Even in baseball, a relatively static game, so many calls are now reversed on instant replay and the behind-the-plate umpire misses maybe 15% of the balls and strikes, according to the TV strike zone. And those are the best trained referees/umpires in American professional sports.

I was deeply, deeply relieved when I was told my services were no longer needed.

It is a no win task. Do the job flawlessly and no one notices. Make a mistake, especially with instant replay, and you are castigated.

Again, I'm not getting down on the zebras for the bang-bang plays. You have officiated and can easily see the wrong official, the one with the wrong angle make the wrong call.

A coach I worked with would tell his players that 'reaching is a foul'. When it would happen in a game, the offending player would often say, 'But coach, I didn't touch her', and often the player was right, but with only two officials often without a good angle, the perception of contact when that hand shot out to tip the ball away constituted a foul.

I don't question that call. My beef is that too often the wrong official is making a call based on the perception of a foul, 'wrong' being defined as out of position or without the effective angle, and it seems that those mechanics are teachable and can be reinforced.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I agree that our interior defense was much softer after the foul trouble. The Terps had only 12 points in the first quarter. I think we win by more in a rematch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom