OT: - Maryland fires football coach DJ Durkin day after his reinstatement | The Boneyard

OT: Maryland fires football coach DJ Durkin day after his reinstatement

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The University of Maryland has fired football coach DJ Durkin one day after his reinstatement, the school announced Wednesday evening.

In a statement, president Wallace D. Loh said, "Yesterday, the University System of Maryland Board of Regents announced numerous recommendations, including employment decisions about specific personnel on our campus. I accepted the Board's recommendations. At the same time, I announced my retirement as president in June 2019.

"Since returning to campus after yesterday's press conference, I have met with the leadership of the Student Government Association speaking on behalf of numerous student organizations; the Senate Executive Committee; Deans; department chairs; and campus leadership. The overwhelming majority of stakeholders expressed serious concerns about Coach DJ Durkin returning to the campus.

[Story]

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
All this Durkin guy had to do was resign while stating he'd wanted the team and the university to move on. Or he could have ignored the university's statement that he had nothing to do with the tragedy of McNair's death, taken the high road, and fallen on his sword while resigning. He would have avoided this tarnish. Now, he's done. All due to what I can see from my vantage, as his arrogance or stubbornness. Looks like he's made the news the old fashioned way: He earned it.

Reaction Score
All this Durkin guy had to do was resign while stating he'd wanted the team and the university to move on. Or he could have ignored the university's statement that he had nothing to do with the tragedy of McNair's death, taken the high road, and fallen on his sword while resigning. He would have avoided this tarnish. Now, he's done. All due to what I can see from my vantage, as his arrogance or stubbornness. Looks like he's made the news the old fashioned way: He earned it.
They owe him $5 million - probably a lot of the reason he didn't resign. Will be interesting to see how hard he fights for that.

McNair's's parents are loading up for a wrongful death lawsuit against the university. Probably another reason he didn't resign - could be seen by the court as admitting guilt. Will also be interesting how much the U. tries to hang on the coach.

Reaction Score
Fired him last night amidst protests from the University community (students, faculty, etc.) and the state government from the governor on down.

The whole situation was totally botched from the get go. Only Maryland could foul something up so badly that it makes Ohio State and the Urban Meyer situation look competent.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Have some friends with kids on campus and work fairly close by UM. It was about to get UGLY! There was ZERO chances the game against MSU was going to happen this weekend without major disruption.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
They owe him $5 million - probably a lot of the reason he didn't resign. Will be interesting to see how hard he fights for that.

McNair's's parents are loading up for a wrongful death lawsuit against the university. Probably another reason he didn't resign - could be seen by the court as admitting guilt. Will also be interesting how much the U. tries to hang on the coach.
Durkin will not have to fight at all for the $5.5 million he’s owed under his current contract. He was not fired for “cause” which essentially means that MD owes him 65% of the remainder of his contract or $5.5 million. Had Durkin been fired for cause voiding his contract, a lawsuit would have certainly been filed.

There is some possibility that Durkin might still sue MD for lack of due process, etc., but there are limits to lawsuits against state institutions that make such a suit unlikely.

Reaction Score
Have some friends with kids on campus and work fairly close by UM. It was about to get UGLY! There was ZERO chances the game against MSU was going to happen this weekend without major disruption.

As one who grew up in Maryland, I am proud of what the University of Maryland has become. Its programs in business, engineering, sciences and other disciplines are ranked among the best in the nation. It is a highly educated state that rivals New England in its reverence for learning.

But what in the world is this with athletics? It never was, and never will be, a Michigan or Ohio State or Alabama in big-time football. And the university doesn't need big bucks from football. Better to do the right thing, fire the toxic coach, and take pride in its academic achievements.

Reaction Score

The MD President made the wrongful death lawsuit a slam dunk by saying (paraphrase) Maryland takes legal and moral responsibility for the death of Jordan NcNair.

Maryland has financial problems; paying Durkin, the lawsuit, limited BIG Ten share, and reduced booster support.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
The University of Maryland has fired football coach DJ Durkin one day after his reinstatement, the school announced Wednesday evening.
How could they not see that his reinstatement would be rejected most vigorously? Such arrogance!!!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
How could they not see that his reinstatement would be rejected most vigorously? Such arrogance!!!
Evidently the MD president told the trustees exactly that, but the trustees nevertheless made the recommendation to retain Durkin.

Reaction Score
Durkin will not have to fight at all for the $5.5 million he’s owed under his current contract. He was not fired for “cause” which essentially means that MD owes him 65% of the remainder of his contract or $5.5 million. Had Durkin been fired for cause voiding his contract, a lawsuit would have certainly been filed.

There is some possibility that Durkin might still sue MD for lack of due process, etc., but there are limits to lawsuits against state institutions that make such a suit unlikely.
The reinstatement, support from the Trustees, lack of due process, etc. make it probable he will get more money. Unlikely he could win a big lawsuit, but if he sues its likely MD will sweeten the pot just to make him go away.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The reinstatement, support from the Trustees, lack of due process, etc. make it probable he will get more money. Unlikely he could win a big lawsuit, but if he sues its likely MD will sweeten the pot just to make him go away.
While it’s not impossible for Durkin to sue MD, states are subject to sovereign immunity protection. So while he would have to devote time, energy and financial resources to a lawsuit, his chance of winning the case is slim. If I was advising him I would strongly suggest he take the money and get on with his life.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
While it’s not impossible for Durkin to sue MD, states are subject to sovereign immunity protection. So while he would have to devote time, energy and financial resources to a lawsuit, his chance of winning the case is slim. If I was advising him I would strongly suggest he take the money and get on with his life.
I agree. But it is ironically troubling that he has the option to "get on with his like", and young Mr McNair does not. The trustees must have reinstated him based on legal advice, and that advice might be based upon things to which we are not privy . Either that or all the lawyers in the area are tied up in more pressing cases! ;)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

I partially agree. Well, mostly agree. He could have made an arrangement with the university and maintained part of what he's owed. Now, it's unsure if he'll get any of it, and if the family sues him personally, lawyers and court costs will eat that up.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
In a different direction, I am trying to understand what actually could be done to prevent a similar tragedy in future. and what is the general state of the art in maintaining safe practice conditions.

1) Are their strong and robust bio-sensors that can wireless send all relevant medical conditioning information and provide automatic warnings. I know our Uconn team has some form of bio-monitoring going on but I can imagine that they may not survive the rigors of football practices.

2) If such sensors are not feasible, are NCAA (or conference) rules in place for what constitutes safe conditions (i.e Temp / RH limits) etc. How many minutes? I know the NFL has fairly strong guidelines but is this propagated to the College ranks.

3) Are their rules in place for the number of medical staff (and their training level)

I know that Chiney Ogwumike had mentioned one one of the sports shows one clear loophole is that their are no consistent medical guidelines, certifications or requirements in place for the strength and conditioning coach which is the first line of defense

Of course, it is not impossible for tragedy to strike even with all guidelines followed but this should not be an impossible thing to fix.

Reaction Score
GOOD!!!!
Except for the negative impact financial problems have on the student population that may have to deal with increased tuition, fees, etc. As one of the parents paying the bills that is NOT a good thing.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
This is getting almost surreal. This coach pushed a kid to his death and was known to at least once throw a pail full of vomit at his players. And the regents told the president of the university to reinstate the coach or the president would be fired.

In the WaPo article today, the head of the regents said something to the effect, "We couldn't make a decision everyone would love." I would take issue with that. They handed down a decision that everyone hated, so I'd guess the converse would have been true.

Reaction Score
It seems the chairman of the Board of Regents has resigned. You can't make this stuff up. No wonder so many think academia is out of touch with the rest of the world. Now there are rumblings that the accreditation of the school may come into question. It that comes to pass this becomes much bigger than a sports issue. College athletics are too big and have too much influence on what should be the core purpose of the university.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
It seems the chairman of the Board of Regents has resigned. You can't make this stuff up. No wonder so many think academia is out of touch with the rest of the world. Now there are rumblings that the accreditation of the school may come into question. It that comes to pass this becomes much bigger than a sports issue. College athletics are too big and have too much influence on what should be the core purpose of the university.

I doubt Maryland will lose their accreditation, but their Board made a huge mistake.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
1) Are their strong and robust bio-sensors that can wireless send all relevant medical conditioning information and provide automatic warnings. I know our Uconn team has some form of bio-monitoring going on but I can imagine that they may not survive the rigors of football practices.

There isn't an equivalent of an automobile's central computer. But there are things that can be done. One thing I know of is acceleration sensors in helmets. There have been pilots at at least a couple of universities where every player was wearing a helmet with sensors to monitor possible concussions. They correlated the forces with diagnosed concussions early on, then used data later in the season(s) to pull players from games after hits with a certain force to test them right then and there before allowing them to play further. I don't know how it turned out, but I can't imagine that it wasn't successful.

For dehydration, it's standard to weigh every player before and after every practice. If you've lost a certain amount during practice and haven't gained back a certain amount before the next practice, you're shut down. I don't know if they did that at U-MD.

As for heat stroke, which killed Jordan McNair: heat stroke doesn't happen all at once. Your core temperature doesn't go from 98 to 108 in five minutes. The kid had vomited, which can be a harbinger of heat stroke. The tympanic temperature can be taken in a second, and should track the core temperature very closely. You insert an infrared sensor into the ear and in less than a second, you have the temperature. For you and me, they're not cheap -- about $50-100 for a good one. But relative to the U-MD football budget, they could get a dozen for a millionth what it cost them to get out of the ACC. It would take a total of a few minutes to check everyone 2-3 times per practice in hot weather and to check everyone who vomits or collapses during practice. Personally, I'd shut down anyone who hurled during practice in the heat, not throw the vomit back at him.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
There isn't an equivalent of an automobile's central computer. But there are things that can be done. One thing I know of is acceleration sensors in helmets. There have been pilots at at least a couple of universities where every player was wearing a helmet with sensors to monitor possible concussions. They correlated the forces with diagnosed concussions early on, then used data later in the season(s) to pull players from games after hits with a certain force to test them right then and there before allowing them to play further. I don't know how it turned out, but I can't imagine that it wasn't successful.

For dehydration, it's standard to weigh every player before and after every practice. If you've lost a certain amount during practice and haven't gained back a certain amount before the next practice, you're shut down. I don't know if they did that at U-MD.

As for heat stroke, which killed Jordan McNair: heat stroke doesn't happen all at once. Your core temperature doesn't go from 98 to 108 in five minutes. The kid had vomited, which can be a harbinger of heat stroke. The tympanic temperature can be taken in a second, and should track the core temperature very closely. You insert an infrared sensor into the ear and in less than a second, you have the temperature. For you and me, they're not cheap -- about $50-100 for a good one. But relative to the U-MD football budget, they could get a dozen for a millionth what it cost them to get out of the ACC. It would take a total of a few minutes to check everyone 2-3 times per practice in hot weather and to check everyone who vomits or collapses during practice. Personally, I'd shut down anyone who hurled during practice in the heat, not throw the vomit back at him.

Thank you for your detailed answer. It does call into question who on the sidelines would know these basic sounding protocols (i.e has the needed training and authority) and if it is mandated by the NCAA

Just makes it more tragic how a careful program could have handled it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom