Maryland Eager For The Test | The Boneyard

Maryland Eager For The Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Maryland's problem is that they gave UConn its toughest test last year. That might sound like a positive but it's not. UConn is THE game every team on its schedule has circled on the calendar. On the other hand, very few teams are circled on the huskies' calendar. When a team gives them a particularly difficult time the prior meeting, they rate a circle. There is no advantage to having UConn come into your game extra motivated.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Nicely written article. Several thoughts came to mind as I read it:

The writer Gene Wang wrote: "Last season, the Terrapins were within four points with 68 seconds to play before Connecticut held on for an 83-73 win at the Maggie Dixon Classic at Madison Square Garden in front of an announced crowd of 6,575. Attendance this time is set to be far greater, with the game sold out, according to Maryland officials. Xfinity Center holds nearly 18,000, and there hasn’t been a women’s basketball sellout at the venue since 2007". My take: UConn is no stranger to, and is not intimidated by large crowds.

Last year, they played the Gamecocks in Columbia South Carolina in front of a sold-out, 18,000-seat arena. Three weeks ago today, they traveled to South Bend Indiana, to play Notre Dame in a sold out Purcell Arena (9100 +) These are two of the hardest venues to play in. If you can go to Notre Dame and South Carolina and pull out a win, you can go anywhere and be successful. Other than Tennessee, no home crowd (fan base) has more hate and vitriol for UConn than Notre Dame. Purcell is one place that if you're wearing UConn colors, you'd better be setting behind the UConn bench, and in the company of the other husky fans there. You don't want to be surrounded by Irish fans in the middle of a sea of green standing, cheering and yelling for the huskies. The Irish have no love the the Huskies.

Wang: "Playing the Huskies has particular significance for Terrapins forward Kiah Gillespie. The 6-foot-2 sophomore grew up in Meriden, Conn., approximately an hour from the University of Connecticut. While in high school, Gillespie attended Connecticut practices at the invitation of Auriemma, but the McDonald’s all-American and two-time state player of the year elected to come to Maryland because she said it provided the most comfortable fit". There is a reason Gillespie didn't come to UConn. Either she was not offered a scholarship, or she didn't feel she would fit in there (potential playing time an issue, too many players in front of her, etc). Brenda Frese may have made overtures to her that Geno did not.

Wang: “Connecticut comes out with a knockout punch in the first quarter and kind of wants to test your psyche,” Frese said. “I love the fact that our players, they chose to come here because they believe in themselves, and they want to play in these kind of games against U-Conn.” She'll get her wish, because that's exactly UConn's game plan. Jump on them hard and fast, put the other team on their heels, take the fight out of them, and the crowd out of the game.

Maryland has not exactly played a very challenging schedule so far this season. I think it would be fair to say that UConn has faced more adversity, and more challenging opponents (Florida State/Baylor/Notre Dame) than Maryland has to date. Maryland is the next ranked opponent up, but I don't think they are the best team we've played so far. Maryland will by no means be a walk in the park. They will be formidable. I'm suggesting that their schedule to date HAS NOT prepared them for this game. UConn's schedule has. UConn has already done some "hand to hand" in the trenches.

UConn is the "giant killer" here. UConn has already played against 4 of the top 7 teams in the country. Maryland is not going to bring anything to the court that UConn has not already seen and experienced. The same cannot be said about Maryland. Maryland has not been challenged yet. UConn will bring a defense that Maryland has not seen thus far. They have not faced a team that will pressure you, fast break you, and turn you over as quickly and as often as UConn can. Maryland has played 2 ranked teams. #23 Arizona State who they blew out at home by 41, and #7 Louisville they beat by 6 on a neutral court (Las Vegas). That's it. The rest of their schedule would not raise an eyebrow compared to UConn's schedule. Maryland has played some teams that are nowhere close to being their equal talent or size wise. Middle to high "mid-majors" at best.

Here's the question for Maryland: Can you fight your way back when you're down by double digits? Can you stop a UConn 8-12 point run that's going downhill? Can your BIGS run the floor and stay out of foul trouble, and stay on the court in the first half? Can you stop UConn's fast breaks? Yes, Maryland has a good team, but so does Florida State, Baylor, DePaul, Notre Dame, and Ohio State. Geno and staff will devise a plan, and have the team ready to play. He will make the necessary adjustments at half time, as he always does. We saw an excellent example of that last Monday night, when they shut down Kelsey Mitchell in the second half, holding her to 4 points.

All I'm saying is the success that Maryland has had to this point HAS NOT been against the type of defense they'll see tomorrow night. UConn will play the same way they do every night. They'll bring their A game, and Maryland will have to try and match it. UConn has the knack and the ability to take all of the steam/will out of an opponent. Maryland is the one that will have to adjust their game.
Don't think the Maryland players won't be a little nervous before the tip. The #1 team in the country will be visiting that night, and they know UConn is going to bring it. Make a mistake or turn the ball over, UConn will turn it into points.

We've seen it time and time again. UConn will have a 20-25 point lead in the 3rd quarter, and you can see the look of despair and hopelessness on the faces of their bench. Muffet McGraw does not have a poker face. The last few games against them, you could see the desperation and bewilderment on her face. UConn to Maryland: "You've got a 12-0 record thus far. We're going to adopt the state of Missouri as our home state for this game. If you think you're good enough to beat us, hold serve on your home court, and hand us our first defeat of the season, you've got to show me".

Carnac sez.............The Terrapins fall back to earth, and suffer their first loss of the year. UConn wins 78-65
:cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nicely written article. Several thoughts came to mind as I read it:

The writer Gene Wang wrote: "Last season, the Terrapins were within four points with 68 seconds to play before Connecticut held on for an 83-73 win at the Maggie Dixon Classic at Madison Square Garden in front of an announced crowd of 6,575. Attendance this time is set to be far greater, with the game sold out, according to Maryland officials. Xfinity Center holds nearly 18,000, and there hasn’t been a women’s basketball sellout at the venue since 2007". My take: UConn is no stranger to, and is not intimidated by large crowds.

Last year, they played the Gamecocks in Columbia South Carolina in front of a sold-out, 18,000-seat arena. Three weeks ago today, they traveled to South Bend Indiana, to play Notre Dame in a sold out Purcell Arena (9100 +) These are two of the hardest venues to play in. If you can go to Notre Dame and South Carolina and pull out a win, you can go anywhere and be successful. Other than Tennessee, no home crowd (fan base) has more hate and vitriol for UConn than Notre Dame. Purcell is one place that if you're wearing UConn colors, you'd better be setting behind the UConn bench, and in the company of the other husky fans there. You don't want to be surrounded by Irish fans in the middle of a sea of green standing, cheering and yelling for the huskies. The Irish have no love the the Huskies.

Wang: "Playing the Huskies has particular significance for Terrapins forward Kiah Gillespie. The 6-foot-2 sophomore grew up in Meriden, Conn., approximately an hour from the University of Connecticut. While in high school, Gillespie attended Connecticut practices at the invitation of Auriemma, but the McDonald’s all-American and two-time state player of the year elected to come to Maryland because she said it provided the most comfortable fit". There is a reason Gillespie didn't come to UConn. Either she was not offered a scholarship, or she didn't feel she would fit in there (potential playing time an issue, too many players in front of her, etc). Brenda Frese may have made overtures to her that Geno did not.

Wang: “Connecticut comes out with a knockout punch in the first quarter and kind of wants to test your psyche,” Frese said. “I love the fact that our players, they chose to come here because they believe in themselves, and they want to play in these kind of games against U-Conn.” She'll get her wish, because that's exactly UConn's game plan. Jump on them hard and fast, put the other team on their heels, take the fight out of them, and the crowd out of the game.

Maryland has not exactly played a very challenging schedule so far this season. I think it would be fair to say that UConn has faced more adversity, and more challenging opponents (Florida State/Baylor/Notre Dame) than Maryland has to date. Maryland is the next ranked opponent up, but I don't think they are the best team we've played so far. Maryland will by no means be a walk in the park. They will be formidable. I'm suggesting that their schedule to date HAS NOT prepared them for this game. UConn's schedule has. UConn has already done some "hand to hand" in the trenches.

UConn is the "giant killer" here. UConn has already played against 4 of the top 7 teams in the country. Maryland is not going to bring anything to the court that UConn has not already seen and experienced. The same cannot be said about Maryland. Maryland has not been challenged yet. UConn will bring a defense that Maryland has not seen thus far. They have not faced a team that will pressure you, fast break you, and turn you over as quickly and as often as UConn can. Maryland has played 2 ranked teams. #23 Arizona State who they blew out at home by 41, and #7 Louisville they beat by 6 on the road. That's it. The rest of their schedule would not raise an eyebrow compared to UConn's schedule. Maryland has played some teams that are nowhere close to being their equal talent or size wise. Middle to high "mid-majors" at best.

Here's the question for Maryland: Can you fight your way back when you're down by double digits? Can you stop a UConn 8-12 point run that's going downhill? Can your BIGS run the floor and stay out of foul trouble, and stay on the court in the first half? Can you stop UConn's fast breaks? Yes, Maryland has a good team, but so does Florida State, Baylor, DePaul, Notre Dame, and Ohio State. Geno and staff will devise a plan, and have the team ready to play. He will make the necessary adjustments at half time, as he always does. We saw an excellent example of that last Monday night, when they shut down Kelsey Mitchell in the second half, holding her to 4 points.

All I'm saying is the success that Maryland has had to this point HAS NOT been against the type of defense they'll see tomorrow night. UConn will play the same way they do every night. They'll bring their A game, and Maryland will have to try and match it. UConn has the knack and the ability to take all of the steam/will out of an opponent. Maryland is the one that will have to adjust their game.
Don't think the Maryland players won't be a little nervous before the tip. The #1 team in the country will be visiting that night, and they know UConn is going to bring it. Make a mistake or turn the ball over, UConn will turn it into points.

We've seen it time and time again. UConn will have a 20-25 point lead in the 3rd quarter, and you can see the look of despair and hopelessness on the faces of their bench. Muffet McGraw does not have a poker face. The last few games against them, you could see the desperation and bewilderment on her face. UConn to Maryland: "You've got a 12-0 record thus far. We're going to adopt the state of Missouri as our home state for this game. If you think you're good enough to beat us, hold serve on your home court, and hand us our first defeat of the season, you've got to show me".

Carnac sez...The Terrapins fall back to earth, and suffer their first loss of the year. UConn wins 78-65 :cool:
That may very well be the game plan, but this team is not that kind of team. That was last year's team. This year's team is more like get up by 8 points and try to hang on.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
That may very well be the game plan, but this team is not that kind of team. That was last year's team. This year's team is more like get up by 8 points and try to hang on.

We see it differently. We won't have to wait long to see which one of us was right.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thursday’s clash with Connecticut is a test Maryland women are eager to take

“They’ve had a tremendous season so far. I don’t think anyone could have expected this,” Terrapins Coach Brenda Frese said. “I think when it’s all said and done, this could be Geno’s best coaching year.”

Nice find Rocky----But after reading what the MD Coach and players said---I'm really frightened. They are SOOO talented, and CONFIDENT. Most scary is : this is just another game to MD and they beat Louisville by 6 or 8. They are tough!!

Reaction Score
We have a BINGO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog