Maryland at UConn on..... | The Boneyard

Maryland at UConn on.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Monday December 3 at 7:00 as part of the Jimmy V women's special. The JI
reports that the location of the game [Storrs/Hartford] has not been determined yet.
Our OOC schedule next year is fantastic....with most of the tasty entrees being at home.
When we play the return games in 2013-2014 our incoming frosh will be grizzled soph vets....better able to silence home crowds with great play.

Reaction Score
Our incoming frosh are Grizzled vets the day they step on campus....They have played in more big games around the world than most players and they know what is expected from Geno from day 1.......

Reaction Score
I love UCONN'S OOS Schedule; we play all other top five teams and some other top ten teams. 2012-2013 should be a great year for UCONN Women's Basketball.

Reaction Score
This game is going to get ugly. UCONN by 40+ Maryland is a pretty talented team but poorly coached and play no defense. Isn't there some sort of tension between Frese/Geno because of the Laura Harper decommit years ago. I can't believe Diamond DaShields of all recruits are considering them. Frese was so desperate to get Thomas that she hired her HS basketball coach

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Isn't there some sort of tension between Frese/Geno because of the Laura Harper decommit years ago. I can't believe Diamond DaShields of all recruits are considering them. Frese was so desperate to get Thomas that she hired her HS basketball coach

Not really. As I understand it, the reason UConn and MD haven't played each other was because of Frese, not Geno.

The Wash Post did a story about Frese and her recruiting tactics in 2006. No coach would speak on the record and make specific accusations, though some spoke off the record and suggested unethical recruiting. Geno was interviewed for the story and did speak on the record. The story mentioned the loss of Harper and, of course, Geno had a little fun with the issue:

Auriemma was asked how he thought Frese managed to lure so many talented players to Maryland.

"I just think she just has a real charming personality," Auriemma said. Asked if there was anything more to it, he said: "Probably not. I can't think of any other reason why a player would go to a certain school. They're just very persuasive in their recruiting tactics, and I think that's part of recruiting. You have to be very persuasive. You have to be very assertive. And they follow in the great tradition of Lefty Driesell. When Lefty was told that someone had committed to someplace else, he goes, 'Good. Now we know who the competition is.' "

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/24/AR2006032401945.html

Reaction Score
This game is going to get ugly. UCONN by 40+ Maryland is a pretty talented team but poorly coached and play no defense. Isn't there some sort of tension between Frese/Geno because of the Laura Harper decommit years ago. I can't believe Diamond DaShields of all recruits are considering them. Frese was so desperate to get Thomas that she hired her HS basketball coach

I don't think Frese hired Thomas coach. So in two separate threads you bash UNC, Duke, Maryland. So where should all good players go to one of four schools Baylor ND Stanford UConn? Give me a break man the constant school bashing gets old. You realize you put down schools like Duke and Maryland that just made the elite 8 and will be preseason the top in the country? Get some perspective they are great programs.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Not really. As I understand it, the reason UConn and MD haven't played each other was because of Frese, not Geno.

The Wash Post did a story about Frese and her recruiting tactics in 2006. No coach would speak on the record and make specific accusations, though some spoke off the record and suggested unethical recruiting. Geno was interviewed for the story and did speak on the record. The story mentioned the loss of Harper and, of course, Geno had a little fun with the issue:

Auriemma was asked how he thought Frese managed to lure so many talented players to Maryland.

"I just think she just has a real charming personality," Auriemma said. Asked if there was anything more to it, he said: "Probably not. I can't think of any other reason why a player would go to a certain school. They're just very persuasive in their recruiting tactics, and I think that's part of recruiting. You have to be very persuasive. You have to be very assertive. And they follow in the great tradition of Lefty Driesell. When Lefty was told that someone had committed to someplace else, he goes, 'Good. Now we know who the competition is.' "

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/24/AR2006032401945.html

UT is mad at UCONN over Maya...MD pulled dirty tricks to get Thomas...everyone bashed Mulkey for texting Griner and her dad. I guess recruiting is ugly business.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
This will be an embarrassing game for the Jimmy V Classic. UCONN is absolutely going to be wipe the floor with MD I have a feeling.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I will certainly be there. Wouldn't miss this game for the world. Plus Duke and Baylor. And ND. Really a terrific slate of home games this upcoming season.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
UT is mad at UCONN over Maya...MD pulled dirty tricks to get Thomas...everyone bashed Mulkey for texting Griner and her dad. I guess recruiting is ugly business.
Except that TN is delusional that anything went on with Maya and MD is old news and received at least as much criticism as Baylor when it happened. Baylor has an institutional history. It makes the Griner violations worse. Institutional control should have been already fixed. Recruiting is far to often is dirty and should be punished strongly to end it.

Reaction Score
Except that TN is delusional that anything went on with Maya and MD is old news and received at least as much criticism as Baylor when it happened. Baylor has an institutional history. It makes the Griner violations worse. Institutional control should have been already fixed. Recruiting is far to often is dirty and should be punished strongly to end it.

I am a fan of both MD and Connecticut, having spent time around both programs. There is a lot to like in both places. One major thing they have in common is that TN fabricated allegations against both, which were proven untrue. The lone exception being the well-documented ESPN tour UConn helped arrange for Maya, which was considered minor. Not sure where the misinformative posts are coming from, but that's what you get a lot of on the internet.

Regarding Alyssa Thomas's recruitment, she was committed to Maryland early in her junior year of HS and at the time wasn't considered a Top 50 recruit by the major services. She didn't shoot up their rankings until they got a glimpse of her at the end of summer before her senior season. There was no real battle for her signature or drama over her decision.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I am a fan of both MD and Connecticut, having spent time around both programs. There is a lot to like in both places. One major thing they have in common is that TN fabricated allegations against both, which were proven untrue. The lone exception being the well-documented ESPN tour UConn helped arrange for Maya, which was considered minor. Not sure where the misinformative posts are coming from, but that's what you get a lot of on the internet.

Regarding Alyssa Thomas's recruitment, she was committed to Maryland early in her junior year of HS and at the time wasn't considered a Top 50 recruit by the major services. She didn't shoot up their rankings until they got a glimpse of her at the end of summer before her senior season. There was no real battle for her signature or drama over her decision.
I didn't suggest the NCAA had anything to do with the allegations against MD in regards to anything other than the TN allegations. Many coaches prefer not to report such things.There are ways of skirting the NCAA rules in recruiting that are still less than ethical. The past accusations against MD in general are much worse than the scandal of the phone call at UConn.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Yes, anyone who is mad at UCONN is delusional. :) And everyone else's violations should be taken more seriously. We all have our recruiting goggles on when it comes to our universities.

I think that outside of UCONN that there is a perception that ESPN is very pro-UCONN, so the tour in the eyes of many was not just about the tour, it was about what appears to be an overall connection between UCONN and ESPN. Many seem to think that there is an overwhelmingly UCONN slant to ESPN's coverage of women's basketball. Doris Burke could have practically worn a UCONN cheerleader outfit.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yes, anyone who is mad at UCONN is delusional. :) And everyone else's violations should be taken more seriously. We all have our recruiting goggles on when it comes to our universities.

I think that outside of UCONN that there is a perception that ESPN is very pro-UCONN, so the tour in the eyes of many was not just about the tour, it was about what appears to be an overall connection between UCONN and ESPN. Many seem to think that there is an overwhelmingly UCONN slant to ESPN's coverage of women's basketball. Doris Burke could have practically worn a UCONN cheerleader outfit.

Perception outside of CT may be that UConn and ESPN have "a relationship" but if there is it is not a positive one. People assume all kinds of things and in this case by proximity but we know what assumptions are worth. The tour was not arranged by UConn. The fact is that the phone was dialed and handed over to the Moore's for their action. The tour was one available to the public at that time. Learn the facts not the rumors. There was no benefit to the Moores or to the university.

Everyone's violations should be taken seriously. And adjudicated according to the benefit gained by the school in attempting to recruit players.

I have never known that Geno has never been accused of dirty tactics in recruiting other than the empty hat from TN. In fact he regularly uses an approach that makes him vulnerable to other coaches tactics because he never promises starting or minutes to candidates, only the opportunity to compete. When you are at the top of the heap there will always be those who will use any opportunity against you and who will even lie. In contrast, to most programs Baylor's history is documented and not positive when it comes to NCAA violations. That is history starting in 2004. LINK

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Perception outside of CT may be that UConn and ESPN have "a relationship" but if there is it is not a positive one. People assume all kinds of things and in this case by proximity but we know what assumptions are worth. The tour was not arranged by UConn. The fact is that the phone was dialed and handed over to the Moore's for their action. The tour was one available to the public at that time. Learn the facts not the rumors. There was no benefit to the Moores or to the university.

Everyone's violations should be taken seriously. And adjudicated according to the benefit gained by the school in attempting to recruit players.

I have never known that Geno has never been accused of dirty tactics in recruiting other than the empty hat from TN. In fact he regularly uses an approach that makes him vulnerable to other coaches tactics because he never promises starting or minutes to candidates, only the opportunity to compete. When you are at the top of the heap there will always be those who will use any opportunity against you and who will even lie. In contrast, to most programs Baylor's history is documented and not positive when it comes to NCAA violations. That is history starting in 2004. LINK

I am guessing that the tour was suggested by AND the phone was dialed by someone on the UCONN staff. To think otherwise would be naive. I am well aware of the facts. But for you to think that the perception by a young player that there was an "in" with ESPN did not have an impact is simply naive and a desire not to look at the circumstances more objectively.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I am guessing that the tour was suggested by AND the phone was dialed by someone on the UCONN staff. To think otherwise would be naive. I am well aware of the facts. But for you to think that the perception by a young player that there was an "in" with ESPN did not have an impact is simply naive and a desire not to look at the circumstances more objectively.
Nope it wasn't suggested by anyone. It was raised as a requested possibility by the Moores. It was regular office staff and not a coach who provided the assistance. Simple courtesy. The difference between what was done and the violation was handing the phonebook for the Moores to call for themselves. Basically, it seemed that the secondary violation was done as appeasement for 37 pages of the Boneyard which were filed with the NCAA as "proof" of other violations all of which was tossed.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
In that case, I trust that the NCAA made an appropriate ruling, as they have done with Mulkey and Griner, since Griner clearly informed the NCAA that she made her decision well before the text messages and phone calls in question.

It appears that the NCAA has remained consistent and fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom