Maryland Adjusting without Top 3 Scorers | The Boneyard

Maryland Adjusting without Top 3 Scorers

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I could be wrong, but I don't think Maryland will have the success that UConn did after they lost their top 3 scorers. I think that loss in team point production will hit home hard and fast.
UConn had two future All-Americans waiting in the wings (coming off the bench) to replace the departed graduates (future All-American Katie Lou Samuelson was already a starter). Does Maryland? If not, it may be a long season for the Terps. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I could be wrong, but I don't think Maryland will have the success that UConn did after they lost their top 3 scorers. I think that loss in team point production will hit home hard and fast.
UConn had two future All-Americans waiting in the wings to replayed the departed graduates. Does Maryland? If not, it may be a long season for the Terps. :confused:
Welcome to 2016-17 UConn world Brenda. Except Geno had 3 freshmen and a walk on sitting his bench. Last year she said it's easy when you get great recruits to win championships. Well, you had your great class of recruits last year and they bolted when the lights came on. Guess it ain't so easy huh? No pity coming from this corner Brenda.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Will be a challenge for the Terps this year. Need to believe in Brenda!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Terps play SC and UConn in their first four games. Then they return to their usual cupcake schedule. Some of their opponents you may never have heard of. So Brenda will get to pad her record until the Big 10 season starts. How badly Maryland loses to SC and UConn will probably be the only true measure of the team's worth. Unless she has a Napheesa, Lou, and Gabby available, don't look for much upside. What happened to that 6-strong, best-in-the-nation freshman class of not-so-long ago.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Lehigh women’s basketball loses two players to torn ACLs within five minutes

A team's worst nightmare.

Thud. Freshman women’s basketball player Ann-Marie Jacobs fell to the ground after going up for a shot in a warm up drill. As Jacobs was taken to the sidelines to be examined by the trainer, the group she was drilling with went to the other end of the court to regroup and restart the warm up activity.

Five minutes passed.........Thud. Another player was down on the court — this time it was junior Hailey Pascoe from the other warm up group. She too was taken to the sidelines to be examined.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Lehigh women’s basketball loses two players to torn ACLs within five minutes

A team's worst nightmare.

Thud. Freshman women’s basketball player Ann-Marie Jacobs fell to the ground after going up for a shot in a warm up drill. As Jacobs was taken to the sidelines to be examined by the trainer, the group she was drilling with went to the other end of the court to regroup and restart the warm up activity.

Five minutes passed....Thud. Another player was down on the court — this time it was junior Hailey Pascoe from the other warm up group. She too was taken to the sidelines to be examined.
I think I might start questioning the warmup drill.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Brenda's coaching skills are going to be tested this year. It could be a very long season for the Terps.

Reaction Score
Thanks for posting this. I usually get my Maryland WCBB news from Testudo Times who are very good and knowledgeable.

Maryland still has 4 former McDonalds AA on their squad. Smalls, Fraser, Charles and Watson. Charles will be the leader of the team and will be an All-Big 10 player. Fraser will be playing out of position and that worries me.

The Big 10 is really lousy this season. They are so lousy that the AAC could beat them in an AAC-Big 10 Challenge. Michigan is the 3rd best team and they're 18th in the country.

#18 Michigan Women's Basketball 2017-2018 Preview

Maryland will only have two losses in the Big 10 before the tournament.

Reaction Score
the Terps have no natural centers on the team which as we know can be a problem from time to time but they do have Blair Watson of Nutley NJ who I expect to have a break out season...................otherwise they're toast............

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The Terps play SC and UConn in their first four games. Then they return to their usual cupcake schedule. Some of their opponents you may never have heard of. So Brenda will get to pad her record until the Big 10 season starts. How badly Maryland loses to SC and UConn will probably be the only true measure of the team's worth. Unless she has a Napheesa, Lou, and Gabby available, don't look for much upside. What happened to that 6-strong, best-in-the-nation freshman class of not-so-long ago.
At least it's a slight scheduling upgrade from last year, going from only one marquee opponent to two. Also, the game at Charlottesville (part of ACC/Big Ten Challenge) will be a good test as well. Virginia could be poised for a breakthrough season. Maryland will also likely play Miami in a Thanksgiving tournament at Miami, but Miami has to replace its best players from last year much as Maryland does.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately grim reminders of how quickly programs can go from one extreme to the other thru a variety of unforeseen circumstances. Have never found Brenda a particularly sympathetic person, but don't wish ill on anyone. The injury thing, particularly ACLs, really scares me as it seems to happen so easily - land wrong, plant wrong, and you're gone. I think a lot of the transfers are on the coaches - they simply can't deliver on the recruiting expectations they've created. Or are bringing in kids and then crossing their fingers. Can't wait for this season to get off the ground.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I hope you are right but I see as many as 4 conference loses @PSU, @Michigan State @Michigan & tOSU before the tournament.
For me, hope springs eternal. Maybe 5 and twice to MSU.

Reaction Score
I hope you are right but I see as many as 4 conference loses @PSU, @Michigan State @Michigan & tOSU before the tournament.
I have them losing only to OSU and @Michigan. PSU and MSU wasn't listed in the CSM top 44 teams in WCBB. They will be tough road games though. Iowa will be a really tough game because Maryland do not have anyone who can guard Gustafson.

Big Ten Official Athletic Site

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Meh.... they will still go something like 26-5... 27-4

I would assume the same myself. The B1G is terrible (compared to the rest of the P5). Brenda irritates me but she is a good coach. They won't fall too far.

Reaction Score
I wish I had read this thread before.
I want to know what the Terp fans are doing to avoid NCAA tournament sell-outs.
Earlier this year, they did not buy tickets to the games when they were available and then complained rather loudly about their laziness.
Has there been any changes?

JordyG

Reaction Score
Goodness. A freshman running the point. I don't care who they're playing, those first 4 to 5 games are going to be tough. Just figuring out where the points are going to come from will be difficult enough. At best 3 and 2 after the first five, then a loss to an improved Virginia team. No matter the conference record this is a team lucky to make it to the 2nd round of the NCAA's. Next year hardly looks better.

Reaction Score
Next year hardly looks better.

Are you freakin' kidding me. We are going to sign the #3 overall recruit in the country. Two 6'4" players and three players in the top 35. Plus Christinaki will be playing a whole season. No UConn on the schedule. No Mitchell at OSU. We'll win 30 games easily. Outside chance of a Final 4 with UConn, Baylor and Texas. At least an Elite 8 appearance.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Well at least MD won’t have to face Saniya Chong this year, A.K.A. “The Turtle Slayer.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom