OT: - Marvin Bagley III, AAU, Nike and Duke getting off Scot free (again) | The Boneyard

OT: Marvin Bagley III, AAU, Nike and Duke getting off Scot free (again)

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
The Bagley's declare bankruptcy in 2008 with annual income of $44K. Sell their home likely through foreclosure in 2011. By 2015 they are living in an exclusive gated community in California where homes sell for between $750K and $1.5M. Marvin III goes to an expensive private school that has a tuition of about $36K. What changed for the Bagley's? Nike got involved with the Phoenix Phamily, an AZ club basketball team coached and managed by Mr Bagley. It was renamed Nike Phamily. Looks like it was all $$ from there.
Duke is, of course, a Nike school.
Nothing to see here.

The Loyalty Game: How sneaker dollars transformed youth hoops

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Good. I'm happy he was able to profit off his skills just as any normal person would be able to.
Amen. Good for them and ***k the NCAA.

Reaction Score
Yup the money was funneled in a legal way. Harrison twins dad had an under armor team. Josh Jackson mom had an underarmour Team. Diamond stone dad had an underarmour Team I believe. Happens all the time.

Reaction Score
Good. I'm happy he was able to profit off his skills just as any normal person would be able to.
Yes! Good for coach K and Duke. They don’t have riches enough and any payoffs that allowed The Bagleys to live like kings and funnel into the Duke family is just great. In fact, if there are any improprieties UCONN should be investigated and then of course sanctions.

Fairfield_1st

Reaction Score
Yup the money was funneled in a legal way. Harrison twins dad had an under armor team. Josh Jackson mom had an underarmour Team. Diamond stone dad had an underarmour Team I believe. Happens all the time.
Legal way, yes. But not by NCAA standards. Looks like it's back to selective enforcement which we are well aware of. Way to beat on Mississippin State. Cracking down on Duke would send a message. Cracking down on MSU says the big dogs are still safe.

The NCAA has cracked down in some high-profile cases but acknowledges it is not an investigative agency with teams of detectives. In 2010, the organization declared Renardo Sidney ineligible for parts of two seasons after determining that the Mississippi State forward and his family received "preferential treatment." Reebok, the Massachusetts sneaker brand, had sponsored a club team run by Sidney's father.

The NCAA determined that the Sidney family benefited financially from the sponsorship deal, receiving merchandise and travel money. Reebok reportedly signed Sidney's father to a $20,000 a year consulting agreement. The NCAA apparently hoped the disciplinary action would discourage others from accepting similar treatment.

There's a picture in the article of a FedEx van out in front of the Bagley house full of Nike goods. Maybe they didn't accept the contents.

nike-delivery-ac7ce7fbbfb39013.jpg

Reaction Score
ive changed my stance on this situation after reading all these stories. these kids deserve to be paid

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
And Jalen took an extra layup. For shame. This is better than an AAU coach with a preexisting relationship with a family buying a parent a plane ticket to a tournament?

Reaction Score
Is it an NCAA violation? I mean It’s known Bagely is running Phoenix Phamily. It’s known their a Nike Team. It’s known Nike gives their teams x amount of dollars.

This wouldn’t be a hard investigation. Not sure Nike cares if he goes to duke Kentucky unc wherever.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I’m trying to understand what Duke did wrong?

Fairfield_1st

Reaction Score
I’m trying to understand what Duke did wrong?
Nothing really, but since his family seemingly received a lot of benefits (foreclosure to million dollar house in 4 years time), he should be ruled ineligible and games forfeited. But they won't even be investigated.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom