@Marquette - Net Plays - The sparknotes version | The Boneyard

@Marquette - Net Plays - The sparknotes version

Reaction Score
I had a lengthy post that was legit 99% done when I accidentally backed out of and it didn't save a draft. D'oh.

The short and sweet version.

1) Refs pretty good, but missed a few really obvious ones that even announcers noticed that pretty much all went against us. Sucks to be us and sucks to be on the road.

2) Opponents are making all their FTs against us. 83% in our losses, 81% in Big East play overall. Worst in the country in conference play. Marquette made 84% and Ighodaro 48% shooter went 5/5.

3) Marquette is good. #1 in country in 2pt% and it showed why this game. We had decent contests on number of floaters and paint shots, but they used the glass insanely well and I tracked 13 made "Tough 2s".

4) We went under a lot more screens than I remember this season. Used drop coverage for PnR frequently, seemingly more than usual, even when Adama was in.

5) We had pretty good fight on the road. This is the game with the fewest guys we've had in double digit Net, but also I don't think we played terribly. Even outside of the big kill shot run, we also kept cutting the lead back down from 6 and tying the game up, multiple times. Even had a chance at the end only down 3 with a min left.

PlayerPosNegNet
Newton1596
Hawkins1293
Jackson25169
Karaban23914
Sanogo16115
Diarra422
Alleyne945
Calcaterra761
Clingan30822

Newton and Hawkins. Not great. Didn't make shots. Hawkins bullied a couple times on baseline drives. Newton seemed like he got banged up once or twice. Have to make their open shots. Hawkins is a machine at drawing 3pt fouls.

Jackson. Yin and yang game. 37 minutes played, so high pos and neg. Some good defense, but sometimes lost track of man back cutting or giving too much space, etc. A few fouls and turnovers. Mostly really good entry passing and finding Clingan on rolls. Not enough defensive chaos to disrupt their offense. On the court for like 4 shot clock violations.

Karaban. Great bounce-back game. Tough play. Tough D. Putbacks, 3-pointers, drives. Did all you can ask a stretch 4 to do. Help up at start against OMax attack. Made him earn what he got.

Sanogo. Defense actually good to start (great helping Karaban when they went to OMax repeatedly to start). Clearly staff worked on this. But offense was about as bad as you can be while still scoring 10 points on 5/7 shooting with several oreb putbacks. Stripped 3x, traveled a couple, late recognizing doubles, bad passes out of doubles, no passes out of doubles at all, etc. They made a few floaters over him in 2nd half that while defended perfectly fine (and so receive positive grade on my charting), Clingan probably blocks. There's a real opportunity cost that some very good teams can take advantage of.

Alleyne. Surprisingly good game on re-watch. Had a couple blatant defensive miscues, but had a really strong defensive first half.

Calcaterra. In full-blown slump now. 20% from 3 in conference play. No game in BE play with more than 1 3 made. Good activity in 1st half in our big run, less good in 2nd half.

Diarra. Didn't play much for some reason.

Clingan. MVP. He's a monster. One of the best players in the country. 20-10-5 in 21 minutes with more steals than turnovers. Not even his best game because he did get beat a few times on D, but by far made more plays on that end than cost us. Changed the game entirely in the 1st half, and they adjusted better in 2nd but we still

Reaction Score
One of the generally good things about Alleyne is he's never afraid to be aggressive on offense. He usually can get himself to within 6ft of the hoop if he chooses. Sometimes it may not result in a good shot outcome, but at least he makes it possible.

He needs to donate some of that thinking to Newton, who still seems like he can get into the lane more often than not, but is not doing it enough...and when he does, is still forcing bad passes instead of shooting. He had one play vs Marquette where he drove, got ~8 feet from the hoop, went up, had an open shot, but dumped it to Sanogo on the low block, who was blanketed. I think it resulted in a TO.

Captain Obvious post, I know

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
One of the generally good things about Alleyne is he's never afraid to be aggressive on offense. He usually can get himself to within 6ft of the hoop if he chooses. Sometimes it may not result in a good shot outcome, but at least he makes it possible.

He needs to donate some of that thinking to Newton, who still seems like he can get into the lane more often than not, but is not doing it enough...and when he does, is still forcing bad passes instead of shooting. He had one play vs Marquette where he drove, got ~8 feet from the hoop, went up, had an open shot, but dumped it to Sanogo on the low block, who was blanketed. I think it resulted in a TO.

Captain Obvious post, I know

Newton is probably the piece that unlocks our true potential. We can win a national championship if he can consistently get into the lane and make good decisions once he's there. If not, then we're still really good, but our flaws become more apparent and easier to attack. Good luck doubling Sanogo if you have to focus your energy on Newton. Good luck defending the three-point line like Marquette did if you have to account for the dribble drive threat.

Reaction Score
Poor defensive intensity from the start. Will win 0 games from here on out if this continues.
Hawkins is an elite defender. He needs to play leadership role if the defense is to bounce back. Good example is Marquette took the game from us with there defensive intensity.

Reaction Score
I had a lengthy post that was legit 99% done when I accidentally backed out of and it didn't save a draft. D'oh.

The short and sweet version.

1) Refs pretty good, but missed a few really obvious ones that even announcers noticed that pretty much all went against us. Sucks to be us and sucks to be on the road.

2) Opponents are making all their FTs against us. 83% in our losses, 81% in Big East play overall. Worst in the country in conference play. Marquette made 84% and Ighodaro 48% shooter went 5/5.

3) Marquette is good. #1 in country in 2pt% and it showed why this game. We had decent contests on number of floaters and paint shots, but they used the glass insanely well and I tracked 13 made "Tough 2s".

4) We went under a lot more screens than I remember this season. Used drop coverage for PnR frequently, seemingly more than usual, even when Adama was in.

5) We had pretty good fight on the road. This is the game with the fewest guys we've had in double digit Net, but also I don't think we played terribly. Even outside of the big kill shot run, we also kept cutting the lead back down from 6 and tying the game up, multiple times. Even had a chance at the end only down 3 with a min left.

PlayerPosNegNet
Newton1596
Hawkins1293
Jackson25169
Karaban23914
Sanogo16115
Diarra422
Alleyne945
Calcaterra761
Clingan30822

Newton and Hawkins. Not great. Didn't make shots. Hawkins bullied a couple times on baseline drives. Newton seemed like he got banged up once or twice. Have to make their open shots. Hawkins is a machine at drawing 3pt fouls.

Jackson. Yin and yang game. 37 minutes played, so high pos and neg. Some good defense, but sometimes lost track of man back cutting or giving too much space, etc. A few fouls and turnovers. Mostly really good entry passing and finding Clingan on rolls. Not enough defensive chaos to disrupt their offense. On the court for like 4 shot clock violations.

Karaban. Great bounce-back game. Tough play. Tough D. Putbacks, 3-pointers, drives. Did all you can ask a stretch 4 to do. Help up at start against OMax attack. Made him earn what he got.

Sanogo. Defense actually good to start (great helping Karaban when they went to OMax repeatedly to start). Clearly staff worked on this. But offense was about as bad as you can be while still scoring 10 points on 5/7 shooting with several oreb putbacks. Stripped 3x, traveled a couple, late recognizing doubles, bad passes out of doubles, no passes out of doubles at all, etc. They made a few floaters over him in 2nd half that while defended perfectly fine (and so receive positive grade on my charting), Clingan probably blocks. There's a real opportunity cost that some very good teams can take advantage of.

Alleyne. Surprisingly good game on re-watch. Had a couple blatant defensive miscues, but had a really strong defensive first half.

Calcaterra. In full-blown slump now. 20% from 3 in conference play. No game in BE play with more than 1 3 made. Good activity in 1st half in our big run, less good in 2nd half.

Diarra. Didn't play much for some reason.

Clingan. MVP. He's a monster. One of the best players in the country. 20-10-5 in 21 minutes with more steals than turnovers. Not even his best game because he did get beat a few times on D, but by far made more plays on that end than cost us. Changed the game entirely in the 1st half, and they adjusted better in 2nd but we still
All excellent points. For me however the one big overarching tell tale stat: in each of our 3 losses we were out scored in the 2nd half. 129 vs 99. This is not good as it signals lack of defensive intensity vs our opponent is able to bring; and/or their coaches are better than DH at making 2nd adjustments. Simple. Big red flag to watch for If I’m right. Can’t get out coaches or out hustled in the 2nd half. PERIOD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom