Mark Whipples contract extended | The Boneyard

Mark Whipples contract extended

Reaction Score
After starting out 0-6 UMASS turned things around last year, finishing 4-8. None of their losses were blowouts. They were up on 16th ranked Mississippi State for most of the game and ended up losing 34-23.
They lost to Tennessee 17-13. Beat BYU away 16-10. Beat App State 30-27 in OT. Lost to Temple 29-21.
They finished strong and Whipple was rewarded. They have their full schedule for next year which includes,
BC, USF, Georgia, BYU and UCONN. It's encouraging to me that our Northeast neighbor can still recruit and compete. They would much rather be in the AAC but have to hand it to Whipple and staff for the second half turn around. Might have been one of the most under rated coaching jobs in the country this season.

UMass Notebook: Mark Whipple’s contract will be extended

Reaction Score
When we got P I wanted Whip. When we got Bob I wanted Clawson.

Whip is a good coach who develops QBS. Always seem to make the wrong choice.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

Eh, I could do without Whipple. They were good this year, but he's just not the kind of coach that you can get excited about. I don't know why, I just don't like him. They were decent this year, but they treated beating BYU like they'd taken down Bama. BYU was basically as bad as us this year lol. Clawson is another story--that would have been nice.

Reaction Score

That darn Dave Solomon article. Up until then it seemed like it was Whipple's job. We could have had Whipple running the offense and Don Brown running the defense.

So close to a solid hire and then.....

Reaction Score

Whipple's had quite a bit of career success, especially with his offenses. He wanted to come here and was our best choice at that time IMO...in fact, he was the clubhouse leader ...that is until JH wanted to watch PP's power point presentation. Hathaway was easily impressed and the rest is history... Head bang

Clawson though, was never ours to lose. Good coach, was the best candidate, but he was never serious about coming here with the ACC still an option. He wanted Wake, got the offer and that was that. Funny thing is, all these coaches ended up being better than our worst nightmare ...breakfast boy! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
UMass will be a challenge for UConn next year. While it will be a winnable game, as a fan I certainly would not count it in the bag when it comes time to make our annual pre-season prediction. More like even odds.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom