Mark Helfrich | The Boneyard

Mark Helfrich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Benedict wants to make a splash so he brings in a guy who runs a high flying offense and who has experience as a HC. Who does he turn to? A guy he's worked with before - Mark Helfrich.

Benedict was at ASU from 1996-2006. Helfrich was at ASU from 2001-2005. That's a long working relationship. With most of the jobs already taken, Helfrich gets a starting gig right off of his firing and UConn fans get what they want in an offensive minded HC that was just on a stage that was a bit too bright. He's still getting the Oregon buyout money so we backload his contract and don't make the same buyout mistake again.

Mark it down - it's Helfrich.

Reaction Score
Yes, I could accept a coach that went to 6 BCS Bowl games and a national title game. I like it!

It's a home run hire as far as working relationships and salary goes. We would have some money leftover (Helfrich's buyout was $11mm) to throw at some quality assistants. 06269's post about having to be a "tough sell" but not taking no for an answer seems to fit the bill here.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
It's a home run hire as far as working relationships and salary goes. We would have some money leftover (Helfrich's buyout was $11mm) to throw at some quality assistants. 06269's post about having to be a "tough sell" but not taking no for an answer seems to fit the bill here.
Those Oregon teams were fun to watch.

Reaction Score
Benedict wants to make a splash so he brings in a guy who runs a high flying offense and who has experience as a HC. Who does he turn to? A guy he's worked with before - Mark Helfrich.

Benedict was at ASU from 1996-2006. Helfrich was at ASU from 2001-2005. That's a long working relationship.

Makes sense. DB said he'd been planning to keep BD, but he changed his mind. Perhaps Helfrich's recent availability was the deciding factor.

Reaction Score
Benedict wants to make a splash so he brings in a guy who runs a high flying offense and who has experience as a HC. Who does he turn to? A guy he's worked with before - Mark Helfrich. Benedict was at ASU from 1996-2006. Helfrich was at ASU from 2001-2005. That's a long working relationship.

Nice linkage but how much of a relationship/interaction would a QB coach have w/ an associate athletic director of development?

Not opposed to him other than never been east of Colorado as a coach.

Reaction Score
Nice linkage but how much of a relationship/interaction would a QB coach have w/ an associate athletic director of development?

Not opposed to him other than never been east of Colorado as a coach.

Who knows, but I'd imagine they know enough about each other through either direct or indirect means

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Right now I'm on board the anybody but Randy (or Weist) train, so let's do this. He'd need a good D.C., since his defenses sucked at Oregon.

Reaction Score
Not liking that at all. The guy tanked the program once his recruits took hold. Their Defense fell apart and worse he seemed to struggle to find a QB. I think we have done that routine already.

Reaction Score
Not liking that at all. The guy tanked the program once his recruits took hold. Their Defense fell apart and worse he seemed to struggle to find a QB. I think we have done that routine already.
the dude found Mariota and is the reason he went to Oregon. He didn't "tank" anything either. He had one bad year and he was playing in a great conference.

Reaction Score
the dude found Mariota and is the reason he went to Oregon. He didn't "tank" anything either. He had one bad year and he was playing in a great conference.
Look at the stats. Once Mariota left the team struggled. I'll grant you this, a good QB makes or breaks a college team in 20xx. The beef against him was he couldn't manage to find a decent QB and was pulling them from FCS schools with no success. In the world of Oregon, he was fired because he tanked the program. Also, I don't know if a West Coast guy is going to be able to hit the ground and recruit on the East Coast. I just think he would be a suboptimal choice...but compared to Diaco, I'd take just about anybody with some demonstrated competency.

Reaction Score
I will say Oregon was not known as a pass-happy team but one that utilized speed and tempo but I'd be on board with that resume despite not being able to sustain "Post-Mariota" numbers. He may have the contract flexibility to solve other problems as well. So yes in a Eugene Tracktown Minute if he doesn't have better options being thrown his way.

Reaction Score
He kept going to Grad Transfer QB's. They never panned out. I 1000% agree with you. His defenses were garbage. His offensive line this year looked like ours. Also his teams are so soft like Charmin. Yes he runs a great offense that CAN score points. I doubt he would ever be offered our job but would be better hire then Randy.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Would he be around long enough to recruit this area so his replacement isn't starting from scratch.

He is a west coast guy. I think that is a problem for us, unless it pulls recruits away from RU, Cuse, BC, Temple. I think I'd need to believe that it would before hiring him.

He surely won't have a Mariota. We'd be subject to two years of waiting for his "type of player" to show up. I'd need to know what he can do with what is on the roster right now.

A high risk pick with a not as high upside? All questions for DB to answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom