Mark Emmert Speaks On College Athletics Spending | The Boneyard

Mark Emmert Speaks On College Athletics Spending

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
NCAA president Mark Emmert on college athletic spending

Although NCAA president Mark Emmert is acutely aware of the financial challenges many major-college sports programs are facing, he does not have a lot of sympathy for university and athletics department administrators wringing their hands over the recent impact of athletes receiving enhanced benefits including scholarships based on the full cost of attending school.

“I think there’s going to be some real challenges for a lot of schools. But I think blaming that on the new costs of supporting students is a really bad argument. I’ll argue that one all day long. … Some people are saying, ‘Well, it’s the new full cost of attendance for students.’ Give me a break. That was $2 million out of a $150 million budget.”

Even where the amounts are less on both ends of that equation, Emmert says he is concerned that many schools have made long-term financial commitments “based on assumptions of ever-rising media revenue that’s not going to materialize. We don’t know where the media market for sport is going. … I think the market’s pretty saturated with sports, but I could be wrong.”

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Is he still around?
Are you suggesting surprise that no one has offed him yet?

clemenza.jpg

"Oh, Emmert? You won't see him no more."

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
NCAA president Mark Emmert on college athletic spending

Although NCAA president Mark Emmert is acutely aware of the financial challenges many major-college sports programs are facing, he does not have a lot of sympathy for university and athletics department administrators wringing their hands over the recent impact of athletes receiving enhanced benefits including scholarships based on the full cost of attending school.

“I think there’s going to be some real challenges for a lot of schools. But I think blaming that on the new costs of supporting students is a really bad argument. I’ll argue that one all day long. … Some people are saying, ‘Well, it’s the new full cost of attendance for students.’ Give me a break. That was $2 million out of a $150 million budget.”

Even where the amounts are less on both ends of that equation, Emmert says he is concerned that many schools have made long-term financial commitments “based on assumptions of ever-rising media revenue that’s not going to materialize. We don’t know where the media market for sport is going. … I think the market’s pretty saturated with sports, but I could be wrong.”

Don't like him, but he's right here. I think this bubble is going to pop, and it's going to be very bad for some schools.

Reaction Score
Don't like him, but he's right here. I think this bubble is going to pop, and it's going to be very bad for some schools.
I agree. The one's I think that will be hardest hit will be the ones tossed out of their cushy P5 spots who have been operating under the premise of raking in 20-30-40 million a year because of their TV deals while not contributing very much to the bottom line.

Reaction Score
Sooo? The bubble rolls back to where it was ten years ago....I think folks will live with that if it happens.

And just maybe, we won't question the core purpose of college athletics quite as much.

In 2007..Texas got $10.3 million, Oklahoma $9.8, Nebraska $9.1...etc ....and football wasn't that bad to watch.

The Big Ten's revenue shot up 33% in one year according to USA Today. That's hyper inflationary.

If they roll back...college coaches' salaries wouldn't be in the millions (some assistants are now a million), the player palaces would not have to be built to keep up.

I am not advocating that we go back to the days where a Bobby Bowden earns $35,000, as he did when he came to FSU in 1976....but to a day of athletic reason.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom