Mark Blaudschun: ND talking to ACC | The Boneyard

Mark Blaudschun: ND talking to ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Profile_normal.jpg

blauds mark blaudschun

ND talking to ACC about "what if'' situations. Like "what if'' Big East FB collapses and ND has no place for other sports.
7 hours ago

http://twitter.com/#!/blauds

Reaction Score
Hopefully they're being told in return "what if my aunt had balls?" and "If your bringing football we can talk till then nothing to talk about."

Reaction Score
You left out the juicy part:

"The sticking point in that discussion is the lucrative television contract which Notre Dame has with NBC, which runs through the 2015 season and pays the Irish between $15 and $16 million dollars per year.

Preliminary talks of extending that pact have begun, while Notre Dame officials are talking to the ACC about allowing Notre Dame to maintain its contract for home games with NBC and still join the ACC in all the other sports.

If ACC officials bend sufficiently on that issue, Notre Dame could seriously consider giving up its independent status in football. If Notre Dame does agree, the ACC would then need a 16th school which would include the University of Connecticut as the probable leader in the clubhouse. Such a move would solidify the ACC's quest to become the best conference in college basketball."

GG

Reaction Score

"The sticking point in that discussion is the lucrative television contract which Notre Dame has with NBC, which runs through the 2015 season and pays the Irish between $15 and $16 million dollars per year.

Preliminary talks of extending that pact have begun, while Notre Dame officials are talking to the ACC about allowing Notre Dame to maintain its contract for home games with NBC and still join the ACC in all the other sports.

If ACC officials bend sufficiently on that issue, Notre Dame could seriously consider giving up its independent status in football. If Notre Dame does agree, the ACC would then need a 16th school which would include the University of Connecticut as the probable leader in the clubhouse. Such a move would solidify the ACC's quest to become the best conference in college basketball."

Yes, it would!

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
If ND comes along, only BC would likely oppose us. Dream scenario for all parties involved.

Reaction Score
How much do ACC schools get each year from TV, bowls?

Wouldn't Disney jump at the chance at getting ND and up the ante accordingly?

Reaction Score
"According to sources in the Big East, the non-football playing schools in the conference may now take a serious look at their options of breaking completely away from the football section -- something that has been contemplated for the past several years. With the loss of basketball blue bloods, Pittsburgh and Syracuse (to the ACC) and now West Virginia (and perhaps in the not too distant future, Louisville), the Big East core of Catholic, non-football playing schools has reached the point where enough is enough."

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
"According to sources in the Big East, the non-football playing schools in the conference may now take a serious look at their options of breaking completely away from the football section -- something that has been contemplated for the past several years. With the loss of basketball blue bloods, Pittsburgh and Syracuse (to the ACC) and now West Virginia (and perhaps in the not too distant future, Louisville), the Big East core of Catholic, non-football playing schools has reached the point where enough is enough."
Pittsburgh a blue blood? Lmao!

Reaction Score
Looks like Blaudschun left out a word:

If ACC officials bend sufficiently on that issue, Notre Dame could seriously consider giving up its independent status in football.

Reaction Score
Looks like Blaudschun left out a word:

If ACC officials bend sufficiently on that issue, Notre Dame could seriously consider giving up its independent status in football.

Thank you for making me spit beer on my computer screen.

Reaction Score

And then what's Florida State going to say to that? FSU is cutting its pie with Wake Forest and Duke and Cuse. Why would they allow ND to have a perk that FSU doesn't receive?

Reaction Score
And then what's Florida State going to say to that? FSU is cutting its pie with Wake Forest and Duke and Cuse. Why would they allow ND to have a perk that FSU doesn't receive?

Serious question? Because ESPN will pay the existing ACC schools more for having 4 ND road games a year to televise. FSU cares about its take -- why do they care what ND takes.

Reaction Score
Serious question? Because ESPN will pay the existing ACC schools more for having 4 ND road games a year to televise. FSU cares about its take -- why do they care what ND takes.

Just doing some math. If the ACC expects to get MORE than ND is getting from NBC by adding Cuse and Pitt, then I question the money. I don't think the ACC increases its take by adding those 4 games. If ND is making more by dipping into ACC revs + its NBC money, that puts other schools at a disadvantage.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Am I the only one who doesn't believe that it is coincidental that the day we learn about WVU to the B-12 there are articles linking ND to discussions with the B-12, B1G & ACC? The Irish are peddling themselves.

Reaction Score
Just doing some math. If the ACC expects to get MORE than ND is getting from NBC by adding Cuse and Pitt, then I question the money. I don't think the ACC increases its take by adding those 4 games. If ND is making more by dipping into ACC revs + its NBC money, that puts other schools at a disadvantage.

No -- I didn't say that ESPN would pay an ACC school more than NBC would pay ND. My point is that whatever ESPN will pay the ACC, per school, for a football contract, it will pay a little more if four of the games it is televising have ND as an opponent. The ACC schools would be at a minor competitive disadvantage versus ND, but would make themselves stronger, and more prestigious in football, vis a vis the other conferences.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No, you are not the only one.

Reaction Score
No -- I didn't say that ESPN would pay an ACC school more than NBC would pay ND. My point is that whatever ESPN will pay the ACC, per school, for a football contract, it will pay a little more if four of the games it is televising have ND as an opponent. The ACC schools would be at a minor competitive disadvantage versus ND, but would make themselves stronger, and more prestigious in football, vis a vis the other conferences.

I'm assuming ESPN would pay ACC schools more than NBC pays ND. That's why I wrote that. So if NBC only sees a certain (lower) value in ND, would ESPN see more value in ND than NBC does?

Reaction Score
I'm assuming ESPN would pay ACC schools more than NBC pays ND. That's why I wrote that. So if NBC only sees a certain (lower) value in ND, would ESPN see more value in ND than NBC does?
Expect whatever ND is getting paid per year by NBC to go up. I am not sure when it was originally negotiated but I'd bet it was before the Pac-12 deal blew up the market. As the BE becomes less and less of an attractive television asset for NBC to possibly pick up I think ND will cash in. I think i read somewhere on this thread earlier that they were already renegotiating and there was still 5 years left?

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
The Big10 has been waiting quietly. Does this rumored ND/ACC deal make them blink?

The Big10 has more $$$, where deos ND want to go?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Time to crank up the mojo machine. We're doooooooooomed!

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
Expect whatever ND is getting paid per year by NBC to go up. I am not sure when it was originally negotiated but I'd bet it was before the Pac-12 deal blew up the market. As the BE becomes less and less of an attractive television asset for NBC to possibly pick up I think ND will cash in. I think i read somewhere on this thread earlier that they were already renegotiating and there was still 5 years left?

And yet we hear that ND football has completely underwhelmed NBC with poor ratings. They're taking a bath on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom