Mark Blaudschun, Boston Globe: If L'ville leaves, basketball schools out the door | The Boneyard

Mark Blaudschun, Boston Globe: If L'ville leaves, basketball schools out the door

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Cool. Just leave the Big east name behind so we can try to build this into a decent all sports league.

In all seriousness, I can't believe the bball schools have not gotten sick of this sooner.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Cool. Just leave the Big east name behind so we can try to build this into a decent all sports league.

In all seriousness, I can't believe the bball schools have not gotten sick of this darn sooner.

Why do you want the name when almost none of the FB schools are in the east? The BCS bid isn't linked to the name as I understand it.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
I believe that if a new conference is formed by the BB only schools, they have to wait a few years(might be only one) to get an automatic bid to March Madness

Reaction Score
At this point all I care about is being in a BCS league if at all possible. Time for them to go and let us patch together whatever we can if we can't go to a new conference.

Reaction Score
The name is glorified for BB, excoriated for FB. We need a new one, regardless. Leave it for the BB schools.

Reaction Score
If you are Louisville why would you go Big 12? WVU I understand becasue no matter what they will land. But the Cards are Big East, Big 12 or nothing. if the Cards go Big12 the Big East is done and if the Big12 folds, and I think it will, the Cards have no home other than the MAC\MWS\CUSA or whatever it is. They would have to have alot of faith that the Big 12 isnt going to implode.

Reaction Score
If you are Louisville why would you go Big 12? WVU I understand becasue no matter what they will land. But the Cards are Big East, Big 12 or nothing. if the Cards go Big12 the Big East is done and if the Big12 folds, and I think it will, the Cards have no home other than the MAC\MWS\CUSA or whatever it is. They would have to have alot of faith that the Big 12 isnt going to implode.
Why would the Big 12 fold when they can continue poaching Big East or CUSA teams we would take? If you are Louisville why would you stay in this house of cards? (no pun intended)

Reaction Score
If the true goal is 16 team conferences Texas and Oakie and a few others bail for SEC, PAC or Big10. I don even thing thats a question at this point. if not 16 then maybe it sticks around. The Big12 stayed together But I dont think that anyone is truly happy about it. I mean they all whored themselves to get out of it and had no takers at the current time.

Reaction Score
It's become apparent that the goal is not necessarily 16 for everyone, and the recent big 12 contract among the non mizzou schools is pretty binding and would royally screw over everyone who leaves. I don't see the big 12 folding anytime soon. The right move for UL would be to take their invite.

Reaction Score
If the goal was 16, and they whored themselves out, and nobody went to 16, then something isn't adding up.

Regardless of what happens, I think it's pretty obvious the Big 12 is at the very least, slightly more stable than the Big East. Nobody is leaving a BCS conference to join the Big East. But any Big East team would join virtually any other BCS conference if offered.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It's become apparent that the goal is not necessarily 16 for everyone, and the recent big 12 contract among the non mizzou schools is pretty binding and would royally screw over everyone who leaves. I don't see the big 12 folding anytime soon. The right move for UL would be to take their invite.

The media lockup is through 2016. Then, if Texas and Oklahoma leave then, you are in a wasteland of a league. Not quite as simple as take it if you get it.

Reaction Score
Well it's either take the Big 12 or stay in the Big East and risk being locked out of the BCS permanently unless the SEC decides it wants you.

Reaction Score
The media lockup is through 2016. Then, if Texas and Oklahoma leave then, you are in a wasteland of a league. Not quite as simple as take it if you get it.
The Big East's BCS bid is through 2013, and we are already in a wasteland of a league.

Reaction Score

Big 12 has an anchor member in Texas. There are only so many national brands, and unfortunately the Big East has none of them. That makes them de facto more stable than the Big East / Conf USA.

Reaction Score
Having 16 teams in any conference (well other than the abortion a/k/a the BE) makes sense only if schools 15 and 16 add value as far as TV money. The number 16 gets thrown around a lot as having some magic, and yes 16 is easier to schedule, but unless 16 makes economic sense none of the real conferences will be going to 16 any time soon.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Conferences going to 12 was about the extra revenue from a championship game. Going to 16 is about television inventory. Specifically, tier 3 inventory to fill time on conference sponsored networks. If you can add teams that can compete, then you have more attractive games for your network.

For example, if B12 adds Louisville, that means there are 12 additional B12 league games. Even if they end up in the bottom half of the league, there is one more conference game for the LHN. Similarly, if WVU vs. Texas ends up on ESPN as a Tier 1 game, then OU vs. Texas Tech ends up on the Tier 2 network, so now OSU vs Louisville is on the B12 regional network, which is better than say KSU/Baylor. or whatever teams you want to use.

Adding a top team is great, but not necessary to create higher TV revenues. You just can be Duke or Vandy. All of the BE teams would be at least mid-pack teams in the other conferences.

I thought this was pretty well reasoned:
http://www.businessinsider.com/conference-realignment-2011-10

Reaction Score
You get mad about my CAA post, but you post stuff like this?
Not mad, amused at your hypocrisy, and it was your CUSA post. How is it again that UConn is powerful enough to save the Big East but yet we couldn't get in CUSA? And if UConn is strong enough to save the big east, but too weak for the C-USA, then what does that say about YOUR opinion of the Big East?

Reaction Score
I call BS on Blaudschun. If the bball schools leave they become the next version of the A10. They leave only if we split. That is the only way.

Reaction Score
I call BS on Blaudschun. If the bball schools leave they become the next version of the A10. They leave only if we split. That is the only way.

I disagree, especially if they add Xavier, Butler, and a third school, like Dayton or George Mason, or something.

Villanova
Georgetown
Xavier
Butler
St. John's
Marquette
Providence
Seton Hall
DePaul
Random Team X

Is a damn good league, much deeper than the A-10 ever was.

Reaction Score
they'll bolt if ul or uconn or wvu leaves because the replacements will very likely be another poor bball team, when they can leave and add butler and/or xavier and be in a better league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom