Marisa Moseley | The Boneyard

Marisa Moseley

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
We have threads every few months speculating about when Geno retires and who might replace him. The replacement candidate voting usually breaks down into two main camps with Jen and Shea having equally strong support. I was wondering last night about Marisa - she has now been at Uconn 4 years so presumably she has become part of the Geno 'tree'. She didn't play for him, but supposing he fulfills at least his current contract and that Marisa sticks around she would have at least 9 years under the master. She is bright articulate and must be doing a lot right as Geno does not suffer fools.
Just thought I would throw it out there.

Reaction Score
She is obviously a great person and a great coach. But I think some major D1 school like USC or an ACC school will snatch her up in a couple of years. The same thing can happen to Shea if she feels that she is ready to go. But I think Jen will only take the UConn job or stay put. In any case, some school will be lucky to have one of them as head coach.

Reaction Score
She is obviously a great person and a great coach. But I think some major D1 school like USC or an ACC school will snatch her up in a couple of years. The same thing can happen to Shea if she feels that she is ready to go. But I think Jen will only take the UConn job or stay put. In any case, some school will be lucky to have one of them as head coach.
Rizzotti's also from Connecticut and she clearly had no desire to move. Shea and Marisa are from other places and might want to be closer to home wherever that is.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Rizzotti's also from Connecticut and she clearly had no desire to move. Shea and Marisa are from other places and might want to be closer to home wherever that is.
Marisa has a connection to western MA - mom in Springfield?, and a graduate of BU.
On Edit - Dad is in New Haven - family info as of her hire so it may have changed, but obviously NE roots. Shea, not so much, though Storrs has certainly become 'home'

HGN

Reaction Score
I think Jennifer is the choice if CD doesn't want it.. If CD wants it , Case Closed....... Jennifer has the connections and Head Coaching experience. Shea and Marissa are good possible candidates as well. Bottom line though I think Connecticut would pretty much stay in house and close to home in any search.

But why worry about that now, that is 10 years away.

Reaction Score
Marissa, I think, would be part of the conversation if she stays on the staff until that time comes.... but I don' think she would have much of chance over Jen or Shea.

Reaction Score
Why not Shea. Or DT might retire from the wnba and do it. Too many options.

Reaction Score
Rizzotti's also from Connecticut and she clearly had no desire to move.
Jen said in an interview once that her reason for turning down other jobs to stay at UHart was that she had small kids and family nearby. Guess that would hold true for Storrs, too.

Are we being homers? Is there a great candidate out there somewhere else?

Reaction Score
I think Jennifer is the choice if CD doesn't want it.. If CD wants it , Case Closed....... Jennifer has the connections and Head Coaching experience. Shea and Marissa are good possible candidates as well. Bottom line though I think Connecticut would pretty much stay in house and close to home in any search.

But why worry about that now, that is 10 years away.

I agree!! CD will be the first choice if she wants it. Next in line is Jen who is an accomplished head coach. Timing will be important. Short term CD, longer term probably Jen.

Reaction Score
If some unknown thing happens to Geno, CD will slide over immediately....Then, the wheel starts to turn and where is stops, nobody knows...........Stay healthy GENO.........

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I agree!! CD will be the first choice if she wants it. Next in line is Jen who is an accomplished head coach. Timing will be important. Short term CD, longer term probably Jen.

That's not a given. Geno wasn't an accomplished head coach when he took the job. And how often does a two decade 2nd banana come in and do a good job? It makes me think of when Dean Smith retired and his long-time assistant loses in the 2nd round to Weber State.

Reaction Score
Geno will be around until DT's playing days are over. Then DT will be the next great UConn coach.

You think the language on the sidelines is "colorful" now....

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
DT will not move into the college ranks as a head coach. There are too many things to manage on the technical side of things including NCAA compliance.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Yes
DT will not move into the college ranks as a head coach. There are too many things to manage on the technical side of things including NCAA compliance.
Thats what assistants are for - isn't coaching just dressing well and screaming on the sidelines - thats all DT remembers from Geno anyway!:cool:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
If Ms Moseley wishes to become the next head coach at Duke... I'd definitely be in favor of it :D

Would have to buy season tickets then :p

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I don't think CD would really even want to take over as head coach. Just my opinion. If I'm correct, I'll bet she elects to stay, and in her current position, and she will be as on board with next pick as anyone, even Geno I bet. I think it will be Jen when the time comes. It is depressing to think about- let's continue to enjoy our current good fortune!

Reaction Score
Don't forget Jamelle Elliott... She was on Geno's staff & now an accomplished coach...
Or Tonya Cardoza. There are many possibilities but as many in this thread have mentioned I think the order of preference would be CD, then Jen, then Shea. If none of them wanted the job it would be anyone's guess.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So ... having started this thread, I have another question - who is Geno going to hire to replace him on the international front - does he stay in house and go with Jen and all her USA experience, or go old time friendship and pick Doug?:eek::oops::rolleyes::cool::confused:

Z(Hope I put enough emoticons in there to let EVERYONE know this is a joke!

Reaction Score
So ... having started this thread, I have another question - who is Geno going to hire to replace him on the international front - does he stay in house and go with Jen and all her USA experience, or go old time friendship and pick Doug?:eek::oops::rolleyes::cool::confused:

Z(Hope I put enough emoticons in there to let EVERYONE know this is a joke!

He goes with Holly Warlick.

(response to joke)

Reaction Score
Realistically, CD will go with Geno (unless there is some emergency requiring an interim). The closest DT and Sue can get is asssitants-- Sue more then DT has she is around much (I don't both will sit together on the bench-- unless Shea or Moseley have offers) I have have no idea why I am so hesitant about Jen- she has great credentials and, although I am skeptical about small college coaches, they usually do well. Recruitment is an issue and I am not convinced about her. But I would be far from disappointed. I like very much Tonya and Elliott but they have not hit the road flying. The will have to cut their teeth at their respective schools before moving back/on. I would not mind if Shea moves up to head and Moseley to Assoc. with Due and some other 'new' blood coming aboard. Ideally, I would like Reeves to leave Minn. (arranged by you know who) for the job-- thus keeping Shea and Moseley to take over the show. One final note on Jen. She has to develop a player and send them onto the WNBA before top recruits will give their trust. That could be the one thing she lacks. A Nurse could put her over- if not on the top of the hill.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Small college coaches usually thrive on local talent and unfortunately CT, MA, and NY outside of NYC is not a hotbed of women's talent and the competition is pretty fierce in terms of number of schools in the area for the talent that does exist. I think a better judge of Jen's coaching is the fact that she is a regular with USA basketball and has had very good results and seems to get very good reviews from the kids she coaches. But I agree that recruiting for any small school coach stands out as a big question mark when they move up in competition and I don't think you know the answer until you give them the job. And it can also be a problem in moves between schools - GG was great when at Duke, but was losing the recruiting wars when she moved to Texas - not something one would have 'expected'.
On Edit:
And whoever ultimately takes over for Geno will have one big disadvantage - they are not Geno. (Just as Holly is not Pat.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom