Mario Cristobol to be named Oregon HC | The Boneyard

Mario Cristobol to be named Oregon HC

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Wow, such a horribly short sighted decision. Why do ADs let the currently players influence the decision...who do they think the players are going to support?! This will be a disaster for Oregon. Will be fun to watch I guess.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Either answer the question, or don't, but it's fair to ask that someone explain such a definitive statement.

He wasn't a good coach at FIU. The other coordinator is a better head coach.

There is nothing in his resume that would lead one to believe this will work out well for Oregon.

Reaction Score
He wasn't a good coach at FIU. The other coordinator is a better head coach.

There is nothing in his resume that would lead one to believe this will work out well for Oregon.

There has been 0 good coaches at FIU. Cristobal took FIU to their only 2 bowl games in the history of the program, until the third is played later this year.

Of the coaches who have coached an entire season, he has the best winning percentage at .365, (27-47). the other two guys went 15-41 and 10-30. (.268 and .250).

It's not like he bombed out at UF, Miami, FSU, or even USF. Even UCF and FAU were arguably better options for recruits in Florida alone.

After leaving he coached OL under Nick Saban. Not a bad place to learn.

He might succeed, he might fail, the other coach might have been better. But it's a little premature to call it a disaster. There's no reason he can't take what he's learned from his time at FIU, and his time at Alabama, and become a better coach than he was there, at a place that's far easier to recruit to and win at.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There has been 0 good coaches at FIU. Cristobal took FIU to their only 2 bowl games in the history of the program, until the third is played later this year.

After leaving he coached OL under Nick Saban. Not a bad place to learn.

He might succeed, he might fail, the other coach might have been better. But it's a little premature to call it a disaster. There's no reason he can't take what he's learned from his time at FIU, and his time at Alabama, and become a better coach than he was there, at a place that's far easier to recruit to and win at.

I didn't call it a disaster. It's harder to win at Oregon than it is at FIU. Much much much much much harder.

Maybe they didn't feel they had a lot of options when their guy walked out after 11 months - but like Riley at Nebraska and whatever in the world Arizona State is trying to do... it's pretty likely this one goes south.

Reaction Score
I didn't call it a disaster. It's harder to win at Oregon than it is at FIU. Much much much much much harder.

Maybe they didn't feel they had a lot of options when their guy walked out after 11 months - but like Riley at Nebraska and whatever in the world Arizona State is trying to do... it's pretty likely this one goes south.

The guy who I asked to explain why called it a disaster.

FIU's all time record is 53-112 (.321). I fail to see how that place is easier to win than Oregon.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The guy who I asked to explain why called it a disaster.

FIU's all time record is 53-112 (.321). I fail to see how that place is easier to win than Oregon.

Because FIU is in CUSA and Oregon is the Pac 12. FAU couldn't get out of their own way either - did Lane Kiffin make it look a bit easier at FAU than Tennessee or USC?

Reaction Score
Because FIU is in CUSA and Oregon is the Pac 12. FAU couldn't get out of their own way either - did Lane Kiffin make it look a bit easier at FAU than Tennessee or USC?
Was FAU his first head coaching job or his third?

FIU is the 6th option in Florida alone. Impossible place to recruit. There isn't that much talent in Florida that actually wants to stay in Florida and play at FIU.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Was FAU his first head coaching job or his third?

FIU is the 6th option in Florida alone. Impossible place to recruit. There isn't that much talent in Florida that actually wants to stay in Florida and play at FIU.

Sure thing. Players are champing at the bit to sign on at other CUSA schools I guess.

I think it's a terrible hire and it will be obvious quickly - we shall see.

At best he's the 4th best coach in his own division - and that's giving him the benefit of the doubt over Wilcox which I don't think he deserves.

Reaction Score
So taggart only quacked for a year. Pretty bad look.

When you're a Florida person and that's where your roots are it doesn't matter if it was 6 months you were at Oregon. If FSU calls you leave in a new York minute it's a top 10-15 job in the country. Oregon is not in the same stratosphere at FSU

Can't fault/ hate the guy for taking a better position, better pay, more opportunity for success and it being in his home state. Definition of dream job

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom