Marinatto Says Big East Stays Together, Aggressively Recruiting | The Boneyard

Marinatto Says Big East Stays Together, Aggressively Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
ralphDrussoAP on Twitter
"Marinatto says the big east members have pledged to stay together and aggressively recruit replacements for pitt and syracuse."

But wait a second... Susan wasn't even there! How could she have pledged anything? Perhaps the "big east members" part is not wholly inclusive.

Not to mention rumor is that only the football schools were invited to the party in NY.

Edit: PeteThamel was a retweet, gave proper credit to Drusso.

Reaction Score
I posted a pic of Baghdad Bob yesterday in a different thread. Think it might be more appropriate now..

Reaction Score
It was the 7 (TCU included) football schools only. They're having a meeting in DC on the 3rd I believe with ALL the schools. UCONN sent reps....The Prez and AD skipped out tonight?

Reaction Score
Via Twitter....ESPN's Joe Schad

schadjoe
Joe Schad

Big East pursuing increased exit fees, plan to bind Cuse, Pitt for 2+ more years

Reaction Score
Isn't it clear that what he is reporting is that both groups have spoken, separately, and both have "commmitted" to allow these two departing members to be replaced without the basketballs and the footballs splitting. With the Big XII merger off the table, there is no alternative plan.

Will the Big East have a BCS bid in five years? Maybe not. Will each school have its eyes and ears open to join one of the more stable conferences? Heck yes. But, until then, this is the plan (and its the only feasible one). Basketball may still be the second best conference in the country, and will still have a great March party at the Garden every year. Football, as others have said, will have suffered a loss of prestige, but not nearly as big a loss on the field.

Reaction Score
It was the 7 (TCU included) football schools only. They're having a meeting in DC on the 3rd I believe with ALL the schools. UCONN sent reps....The Prez and AD skipped out tonight?
Susan sent her "Chief of Staff" aka admin.

Reaction Score
Yeah, and when two people marry they vow to stay together, for better or for worse. Until things get worse or something better comes along. Odds are about 50% of the BE teams making this "pledge" will break that vow probably sooner rather than later.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
The actual statement says

Our membership met this evening and we are committed as a conference to recruit top level BCS caliber institutions with strong athletic and academic histories and traditions. We have been approached by a number of such institutions and will pursue all of our options to make the BIG EAST Conference stronger than it has ever been in both basketball and football.

The conference is committed,not the individual schools.

Reaction Score
Isn't it clear that what he is reporting is that both groups have spoken, separately, and both have "commmitted" to allow these two departing members to be replaced without the basketballs and the footballs splitting. With the Big XII merger off the table, there is no alternative plan.

Will the Big East have a BCS bid in five years? Maybe not. Will each school have its eyes and ears open to join one of the more stable conferences? Heck yes. But, until then, this is the plan (and its the only feasible one). Basketball may still be the second best conference in the country, and will still have a great March party at the Garden every year. Football, as others have said, will have suffered a loss of prestige, but not nearly as big a loss on the field.

I guess for two years everything would be fine minus some loss in recruiting. I can see Marinatto thinking he master-minded separate meetings where he asked the football schools "Are you sticking together?" "Yes". Ditto for the basketball schools. But are you ALL sticking in the same league, different ballgame. But then my understanding is that whoever splits has to give up the rights i.e. even if the basketball schools are sick of us they can't leave with the name + MSG.

I agree the status quo might be better than some amalgam of south-western and eastern schools.

Reaction Score
Look up her Chief of Staff's CV....

I know, not trying to slam her but she ain't Mrs. Herbst. Chief of Staff is a respectable job in Finance, politics and many other fields.

Reaction Score
First off I would NOT believe a thing that comes out of Marinatto's mouth right now! I think the Louisville thing has legs...I think Jurich has had enough of Marinate's act!

Reaction Score
Joe Schad just reported that Marinatto said that they went around the table and all 7 schools, including UConn, TCU and RU, were committed to rebuild the conference.

Andy Katz just reported that the Pac 12 will not expand at this time.

We might be screwed for a while. ND has no need to do anything if the Pac Ten is staying at 12, and that may mean there is no reason for the ACC to move forward.

Reaction Score
If the Pac-12 is not expanding I wonder if the Big-12 will try to poach us. Heck, why not, they sure could. They already talked to TCU for sure.

Reaction Score
Joe Schad just reported that Marinatto said that they went around the table and all 7 schools, including UConn, TCU and RU, were committed to rebuild the conference.

Andy Katz just reported that the Pac 12 will not expand at this time.

We might be screwed for a while. ND has no need to do anything if the Pac Ten is staying at 12, and that may mean there is no reason for the ACC to move forward.
If that's true then this has turned into a bad nightmare! $40 a game for teams like ECU and Navy is gonna be hard to swallow! I hope Herbst couldnz't make the meeting because she was off sealing a deal somewhere else.

Reaction Score
I think there's only 4 leagues where you're totally "safe" as a school right now: obviously the ACC, Pac 12, Big 10, and SEC.

I can't see any school pass the opportunity up if they're accepted into one of those leagues in this turbulent environment.

Reaction Score
I know, not trying to slam her but she ain't Mrs. Herbst. Chief of Staff is a respectable job in Finance, politics and many other fields.

Who better to send then a lawyer with a seasoned background in state
politics and ethics to meet w/ that motley group? ;)

Reaction Score
Joe Schad also reporting (via the crawl) BE considering possible additions: Army, Navy, Air Force. Possibly East Carolina, UCF

Doomsday scenario looming.

Reaction Score
This could be football wise one of the worst scenarios that can happen to us. I would petition for a spot in the B-12 before playing in this football conference. The next tv contract with this group will be less than we have now.

Reaction Score
I just threw up in my mouth at the thought of being stuck in what remains of the league. Worst case scenario was/is the Big XII remains together the impetus for expansion gone and the Big East is stuck with itself and more C-USA level clubs.

Reaction Score
Joe Schad also reporting (via the crawl) BE considering possible additions: Army, Navy, Air Force. Possibly East Carolina, UCF

Doomsday scenario looming.

I saw that. Basically Syracuse and Pitt bolted to the ACC when they saw our expansion plans and Marinatto said to himself 'I know, I'll do it anyway!"

Reaction Score
Is the thought process to include the Academies so we can lobby congress if they try to take the BCS away? wtf?

Reaction Score
I saw that. Basically Syracuse and Pitt bolted to the ACC when they saw our expansion plans and Marinatto said to himself 'I know, I'll do it anyway!"

Since Herbst wasn't there tonight, I'm hanging on to a prayer that she knows something good that nobody else does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom