March Madness Research For All | The Boneyard

March Madness Research For All

Reaction Score
Boneyard,

As part of my college basketball nerdiness, I am putting together a Google Doc of most of the teams in the tournament, along with some research and KenPom information.

If you'd like to check it out, it's available here: 2022 March Madness

I'm not done (and will not work on it past Friday), but it'll be a start for me to make my bracket. I'm printing it out prior to my flight to Arizona to make my bracket...a fun way to spend 5 hours on a plane!

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I've had success by picking UConn to win then doing the mascot "who beats who" for the rest of the games. And that way you know PC always loses in the first round.

Reaction Score
I've made all the adjustments I will make. 55 teams in total (including some on the bubble). I printed it out and ready to make my bracket on Monday!

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Great work. I will lean on your work as I pick teams for our NCAA tourney calcutta next week. I'd be up for a Boneyard calcutta via zoom if anyone is up for that.

Reaction Score
Great stuff!

Somewhat related…It would be interesting to do a historical study / build a model to understand what type of team profiles perform well vs others, beyond just a raw kenpom type efficiency ranking (e.g. in a very simplistic example, a team that gives up high 3pt % is vulnerable against a lower ranked opponent that shoots the 3 well).

We clearly know that matchups are important and specifically what types of teams we struggle with (e.g. teams the play 5 out particularly stress our defense). But would be interesting to generalize that across the entire field and base it on actual data.

If anyone is familiar with anyone having looked at something like that, a reference to that material would be greatly appreciated.

QDOG5

Reaction Score

Highlighting Historical Indicators of March Madness Success​

https://bleacherreport.com › College Basketball

This article doesn't provide the statistics but does give a template for what to look for in picking a team. I've always been a big fan of #7 margin of victory. A number of teams have won the natty while also leading the country in MOV. Including UConn in 2004. Iowa embraces #1 like no team I've ever seen. I watch a lot of Iowa because one of my kids is a graduate. Fran McCaffrey's teams can score with the best of them but they don't play D.

Reaction Score
Wow, 29th best FT% defense in the country. Hope we can keep that up.

We foul too much, but we defend 2's at an elite level and don't allow a lot of 3-point attempts (though when we do allow them, they tend to go in). I guess you could interpret that as funneling/baiting shooters into driving into the teeth of our defense.

Offensively is basically a mirror image, but slightly improved: we don't take a ton of 3's, but make them at a good clip, we're mediocre on 2's and get blocked more than we should. Unlike on defense, we actually don't draw a lot of fouls, but when we do, we hit FTs.

Edit: 24th in offensive efficiency feels about right, but surprised we're only 35th defensively.

Reaction Score
Great stuff!

Somewhat related…It would be interesting to do a historical study / build a model to understand what type of team profiles perform well vs others, beyond just a raw kenpom type efficiency ranking (e.g. in a very simplistic example, a team that gives up high 3pt % is vulnerable against a lower ranked opponent that shoots the 3 well).

We clearly know that matchups are important and specifically what types of teams we struggle with (e.g. teams the play 5 out particularly stress our defense). But would be interesting to generalize that across the entire field and base it on actual data.

If anyone is familiar with anyone having looked at something like that, a reference to that material would be greatly appreciated.
I've definitely thought about this, but I've never seen anything like it.

QDOG5

Reaction Score

Highlighting Historical Indicators of March Madness Success

https://bleacherreport.com › College Basketball
This article doesn't provide the statistics but does give a template for what to look for in picking a team. I've always been a big fan of #7 margin of victory. A number of teams have won the natty while also leading the country in MOV. Including UConn in 2004. Iowa embraces #1 like no team I've ever seen. I watch a lot of Iowa because one of my kids is a graduate. Fran McCaffrey's teams can score with the best of them but they don't play D.
Sent this link to a buddy and he replied "thanks for the news flash from 2013" I wish I had checked the date. I still think a lot of the article still holds true.

Reaction Score
Link is up to 69 teams. Today, added last night's mid-major champs. Will add Ivy champ later today.

Good chance I won't edit after 4 PM today, so hit me up with any requests/errors/suggestions today.

Enjoy!

Reaction Score
Figured I'd share this for people to reference while they're filing out brackets, just a quick way to look at a few of the factors from KenPom I look at a lot when trying to pick between 2 similar teams.

Have all the matchups set up on the 1st tab and that one is locked. Feel free to play around with the 2nd tab and add teams for later matchups. Let me know if there's any other stats you want added to and I can try to add.

2022 March Madness

Reaction Score
I usually play it out on a PS3 and March Madness, never fails

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Boneyard,

As part of my college basketball nerdiness, I am putting together a Google Doc of most of the teams in the tournament, along with some research and KenPom information.

If you'd like to check it out, it's available here: 2022 March Madness

I'm not done (and will not work on it past Friday), but it'll be a start for me to make my bracket. I'm printing it out prior to my flight to Arizona to make my bracket...a fun way to spend 5 hours on a plane!

Enjoy!
they call him 'bond, adrien bond.' the analyst who luvs us.

tru dat.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom