Maple Syrup | The Boneyard

Maple Syrup

Reaction Score
Ran out, and stores have only fake stuff - Log Cabib, Aunt Jemina, and Mrs Butter. I recall a thread sone time ago about this. Any recomends? Perhaps a mail order from N NE??

ps - stores have some flask sized bottle of genuine maple, but who knows.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
As Martha Stewart would tell you, the only place to buy your vanilla extract is Charles Baldwin in West Stockbridge, MA. They also make Baldwin's Table Syrup. "In the 1920s, Earl Baldwin, son of Charles Baldwin, developed Baldwin's Table Syrup in response to requests for a good-tasting syrup that was not as expensive as pure maple syrup. It does not contain preservatives, artificial color or artificial flavor. " We always pick up a bottle when we stop by on our way to Tanglewood.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Maple surup has more sugar than the log cabin surup brand.

If you're trying to loose weight, go with the log cabin that does not use high frutcose corn syrup.

If health is not a concern, go with whatever you like

Reaction Score
Maple surup has more sugar than the log cabin surup brand.

If you're trying to loose weight, go with the log cabin that does not use high frutcose corn syrup.

If health is not a concern, go with whatever you like
That stuff tastes bad. Trying to lose weight? go with
Special K.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
interesting reality aboot this years sugaring season, especially up at ground zero. at a buds operation in southern vermont, as usual, the gang gets together around new years to place bets on the seasons yield. previous record amount was around 1500 gallons, so bets ranged from 1000 to 2000. final result 2020 there? 2200. cuz, you know, we in Connecticut did, in fact, have snow a couple of times in may this year. look around, the stuff is there to be had at a fair price.

Reaction Score
Maple syrup anywhere in VT or NH is $45-50 a gallon, $25-28 per half gallon, etc. it’s all delicious, if worried about weight, maybe pancakes with butter and syrup shouldn’t be part of diet LOL. Once you try real syrup, you can never enjoy disgusting Aunt Jemima crap again. Grade A is good, grade B is just as tasty just a little more raw/earthy.

Reaction Score
As Martha Stewart would tell you, the only place to buy your vanilla extract is Charles Baldwin in West Stockbridge, MA. They also make Baldwin's Table Syrup. "In the 1920s, Earl Baldwin, son of Charles Baldwin, developed Baldwin's Table Syrup in response to requests for a good-tasting syrup that was not as expensive as pure maple syrup. It does not contain preservatives, artificial color or artificial flavor. " We always pick up a bottle when we stop by on our way to Tanglewood.

Ive had the same jar of vanilla extract for maybe three years now. Homemade. Vodka with two large vanilla beans in it. If it gets midway done? Pour in more vodka. Can’t believe I bought those expensive little bottles all this time.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
real maple syrup, and real vanilla extract, rule. i cannot imagine a life without them.

Reaction Score
Maple syrup anywhere in VT or NH is $45-50 a gallon, $25-28 per half gallon, etc. it’s all delicious, if worried about weight, maybe pancakes with butter and syrup shouldn’t be part of diet LOL. Once you try real syrup, you can never enjoy disgusting Aunt Jemima crap again. Grade A is good, grade B is just as tasty just a little more raw/earthy.

I have pancakes only ~once / 3 months, so the syrup supply lasts quite a while. Therefore, I forgot where I got the last batch of GOOD stuff in Maine (I think). I won't use any of that sugar water stuff. Would like a suggestion to some more good stuff. And no Costco anywhere nearby.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

Reaction Score
When I lived in NW CT, we used to make about 5 gallons of syrup every year.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I got a guy in northern Vermont who taps his own and he is all I use.

If you live New England and buy off the shelves on stores you only have yourself to blame.

Reaction Score
When I lived in NW CT, we used to make about 5 gallons of syrup every year.
That’s a lot of liquid to process, what is it 40 down to 1 gallon?

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Our oldest son makes his own. He has about 30 maple trees on his property. Taps the trees, fills the evaporator and maple syrup. He purchased a wood fired evaporator in the fall. Our daughter-in-law takes several bottles and puts a vanilla stick in it. Great stuff.

Unfortunately, no trips to CT this year. We'll have to wait until next year.

Reaction Score
1. Vermont County Store

It is very healthy in spite of the calories, unless you are diabetic.

2. Amazon sells other brands

3. If you want some sweetener that is a little bittersweet, try Naples Drizzle which is sweetened by grape must, 36 calories for one tablespoon(fewer calories and can go on oatmeal, veggies, potatoes, yogurt)

BTW, any balsamic glaze is pretty good

Goatmeat

Puncher of Goats
Reaction Score
Buy from Sugarbush farm in VT. It’s the best syrup you’ll ever have, especially the more robust varieties. Great place to visit as well if you’re in the area.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Ive had the same jar of vanilla extract for maybe three years now. Homemade. Vodka with two large vanilla beans in it. If it gets midway done? Pour in more vodka. Can’t believe I bought those expensive little bottles all this time.
You must not bake

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score

^^^^^
I love their maple products

Sort by popularity

Reaction Score
Ive had the same jar of vanilla extract for maybe three years now. Homemade. Vodka with two large vanilla beans in it.
You got that from Vicars!

Reaction Score
Good Will Hunting has been on Showtime every day and I watched the Harvard bar scene for the hundredth time yesterday.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom