Maori Davenport Ruled Ineligible In H.S. Due To Mistake By USA Basketball | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Maori Davenport Ruled Ineligible In H.S. Due To Mistake By USA Basketball

Reaction Score
While I would like to see her reinstated, judges should keep their noses out of issues like this. Judges were never meant to have the power they have given themselves. Judges roles are to interpret the law not make it.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
While I would like to see her reinstated, judges should keep their noses out of issues like this. Judges were never meant to have the power they have given themselves. Judges roles are to interpret the law not make it.
A motion was filed and the judge made a decision on it. He was doing his job. It was a civil case, not a criminal one.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
A judge has wide latitude to provide “injunctive relief” as a remedy to unfair, misapplied or burdensome regulation, which is exactly what he did in this instance. This is not about changing the Alabama state constitution.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
For those who.like to get into the weeds, here is the entire complaint filed by the young lady's parents: https://www.courthousenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/MaoriDavenport.pdf

It asserts that the AHSAA, in addition to other errors, did not follow its own procedural rules, that its behavior in this and other cases has been arbitrary, that it is, de facto, a state actor masquerading as a private institution, and that...

(hold onto your hats, folks!)

in a case concerning recruiting violations, and the suspension of a football team's eligibility, the suspension was miraculously undone, without explanation.

No, you can't make this stuff up.

And, if this clusterpluck weren't seedy and sad enough to begin with, we find the cameo appearance of none other than Mr. Jeff Waltz, giving curious advice on behalf of USA Basketball.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
For those who.like to get into the weeds, here is the entire complaint filed by the young lady's parents: https://www.courthousenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/MaoriDavenport.pdf

It asserts that the AHSAA, in addition to other errors, did not follow its own procedural rules, that its behavior in this and other cases has been arbitrary, that it is, de facto, a state actor masquerading as a private institution, and that...

(hold onto your hats, folks!)

in a case concerning recruiting violations, and the suspension of a football team's eligibility, the suspension was miraculously undone, without explanation.

No, you can't make this stuff up.

And, if this clusterpluck weren't seedy and sad enough to begin with, we find the cameo appearance of none other than Mr. Jeff Waltz, giving curious advice on behalf of USA Basketball.

View attachment 38211

I assume Jeff Walz will be asked point blank and will be curious if he backs Maori's story on this point.

Reaction Score
I wonder if the result winds up favoring the suspension if her team will have to forfeit any games she played.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Past experience with ASHAA leads me to believe that this is tied to the standard internecine squabbles in high school athletics that probably occur everywhere. There are entrenched power centers and some school districts tend to protect their private agendas. My guess is that a powerful coach in the same conference/ district/ classification made some noise and ASHAA resorted to the old saw that rules are rules. It would not be the first time! I must admit that I do not have solid evidence to back this up, but I have seen things like it before in this sport.

Last edited by a moderator:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I just watched Davenport play in the Alabama state championship game of 2018. She looked good. She also looked like she was the tallest player on the court. How tall is she?

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
I just watched Davenport play in the Alabama state championship game of 2018. She looked good. She also looked like she was the tallest player on the court. How tall is she?
6’4

Reaction Score
A judge has wide latitude to provide “injunctive relief” as a remedy to unfair, misapplied or burdensome regulation, which is exactly what he did in this instance. This is not about changing the Alabama state constitution.
That is not actually true. That perspective comes from ignoring the Justices reasons for their non ruling in Marbury v Madison. While it is used as setting the precedent for judicial review, the actual ruling in that case is completely ignored. While finding the Marbury had been wronged they could not make a ruling in this case because they had not been given specific jurisdiction. So just because a court finds an injustice does not necessarily mean they have the power to correct it. The power for courts to automatically correct injustice via rulings does not exist unless they are specifically given the power to do so by law. They have given that power to themselves via broad interpretation.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That is not actually true. That perspective comes from ignoring the Justices reasons for their non ruling in Marbury v Madison. While it is used as setting the precedent for judicial review, the actual ruling in that case is completely ignored. While finding the Marbury had been wronged they could not make a ruling in this case because they had not been given specific jurisdiction. So just because a court finds an injustice does not necessarily mean they have the power to correct it. The power for courts to automatically correct injustice via rulings does not exist unless they are specifically given the power to do so by law. They have given that power to themselves via broad interpretation.
Thank you for that analysis Clarence Darrow. I hardly think the most important case in the history of the Supreme Court, involving a battle over judicial appointees between outgoing President Adams and incoming President Jefferson is a particularly apt comparison with the case of a teenage girl who did nothing wrong, taking issue with a silly regulation of the AHSAA, being enforced by a cranky old man.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom