Manuel should camp on Jim Delany's doorstep | The Boneyard

Manuel should camp on Jim Delany's doorstep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I hate the ACC. So that probably colors my thinking. But it appears to me that Herbst and Warde spend way too much time lusting after tobacco row and not enough looking west.

The B10 is superior in every way to the ACC. Yet, the words big ten never come out their mouths. If it's TV sets for the B10 Network that Delany wants, we can deliver millions. Besides our own #30 television market (Hartford-New Haven), we offer penetration into the #1 (NYC) which combines with the addition of Rutgirls would effectively lock up the market and we offer, at least, some penetration into #10 (Boston). It's a lot TVs.

And it's net extra sets.

I mean who do you want to be associated with, a bunch of rednecks or northern urban sophisticates?

Reaction Score
Agreed. Been saying that for ages.
Only hope I see is Cincy and UC, or UC and BC pair up to try and lever entry into B10. Only real option I see is we somehow induce BC to come along and we deliver the New England market to B10. That would be a big move for b10 and would be money maker.

Reaction Score
Apparently ACC thinks that UConn has no options. If there is a B10 option then everything would change. But UConn has to be more attractive than we are now with HCPP and crews.

Reaction Score
Apparently ACC thinks that UConn has no options. If there is a B10 option then everything would change. But UConn has to be more attractive than we are now with HCPP and crews.

The football coach has nothing to do with this. It's a marketing question and UConn has been behind the marketing curve for virtually its entire existence. Maryland is worse in football, look at their coach, it has NOTHING to do with anything.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
An easy place to begin is upgrading the University of Connecticut ad. This years is a step in the right direction. I'd like to see an ad that alternates, sports and academic achievements, possibly with a tag line that emaphasizes "excellence". We have the academic acheivements, we have the sports achievements.. it is a no brainer. Play that every game and who we are will start to creep into the public mind set. It would be nice to have the ad made somewhere so that there is good production values as well. That's an easy step in the right direction.

Reaction Score
I hate the ACC. So that probably colors my thinking. But it appears to me that Herbst and Warde spend way too much time lusting after tobacco row and not enough looking west.

The B10 is superior in every way to the ACC. Yet, the words big ten never come out their mouths. If it's TV sets for the B10 Network that Delany wants, we can deliver millions. Besides our own #30 television market (Hartford-New Haven), we offer penetration into the #1 (NYC) which combines with the addition of Rutgirls would effectively lock up the market and we offer, at least, some penetration into #10 (Boston). It's a lot TVs.

And it's net extra sets.

I mean who do you want to be associated with, a bunch of rednecks or northern urban sophisticates?

Agreed. I've been advocating forever for the ACC, but I've had it with that conference. Have come around to pulling for offer from B1G.

Reaction Score
Have to admit.. Wouldn't mind seeing UCONN updates on B1G Network on Ch 720 in HD....

Reaction Score
The football coach has nothing to do with this. It's a marketing question and UConn has been behind the marketing curve for virtually its entire existence. Maryland is worse in football, look at their coach, it has NOTHING to do with anything.

Not sure I agree here, Pal. It may not matter for a program already sitting at the big boy table, but it does for us.
Here’s my point. Like it or not, the masses respond to star power. Looking at it from the outside perspective of the ACC, Louisville had Rick Pitino and Charley Strong. We had Kevin Ollie and Paul Pasqualoni. There’s a reason Broadway shows like to feature name brand actors. It’s because people are more anxious to buy tickets to see them. In show business they call them “attachments”. The brighter the star power of your Producer, Director, and Actors—the more likely you are to create a buzz and draw a bigger audience--even for a production that started off-Broadway--like perhaps in East Hartford.

After Hathaway blew the coaching hire we had a chance to bring in a real “Rock Star” AD. What if we had opened the checkbook and hired away an experienced, savvy, and well connected AD from a Big 12 or ACC school—one who had standing and a reputation for action. What would the media and football industry reaction have been? That’s why our next coach needs to be a name---one that the masses will recognize and feel positive about. The spotlight is now upon us as we make our case for the future. Everything UConn must shine and sparkle.

Reaction Score
Not sure I agree here, Pal. It may not matter for a program already sitting at the big boy table, but it does for us.
Here’s my point. Like it or not, the masses respond to star power. Looking at it from the outside perspective of the ACC, Louisville had Rick Pitino and Charley Strong. We had Kevin Ollie and Paul Pasqualoni. There’s a reason Broadway shows like to feature name brand actors. It’s because people are more anxious to buy tickets to see them. In show business they call them “attachments”. The brighter the star power of your Producer, Director, and Actors—the more likely you are to create a buzz and draw a bigger audience--even for a production that started off-Broadway--like perhaps in East Hartford.

After Hathaway blew the coaching hire we had a chance to bring in a real “Rock Star” AD. What if we had opened the checkbook and hired away an experienced, savvy, and well connected AD from a Big 12 or ACC school—one who had standing and a reputation for action. What would the media and football industry reaction have been? That’s why our next coach needs to be a name---one that the masses will recognize and feel positive about. The spotlight is now upon us as we make our case for the future. Everything UConn must shine and sparkle.

You really believe that P and Ollie were discussion points in these deliberations?

Reaction Score

Agreed - but the fanbase must be reasonable in their expectation of who that "bright star" coach will/could be. If they set their expectation @ a Gruden level, no matter who the hire is, people will be disappointed. (see Tennessee scenerio).

Reaction Score

And it's net extra sets.

Where can you find all these "northern urban sophisticates"? Certainly not at UConn games.

Reaction Score
You really believe that P and Ollie were discussion points in these deliberations?

No, but these "no names' compared to what Louisville has helped drive the public perception that they were more serious about the future and would be a more exciting program to bring aboard--whether accurate or not.

Reaction Score
Susan Herbst on the campout: "We are campers — we camp, we like to camp and we will continue to camp in the yards of commissioners of the best conferences."

Reaction Score
If he's still available and willing, UConn might be smart to bring back Lew Perkins as a "Special Advisor to the President" dealing with conference issues. In addition to a per diem salary, give him a bonus structure. If he gets us into the ACC X dollars. If he gets us into the BiG X x 100 dollars.

Reaction Score
An easy place to begin is upgrading the University of Connecticut ad. This years is a step in the right direction. I'd like to see an ad that alternates, sports and academic achievements, possibly with a tag line that emaphasizes "excellence". We have the academic acheivements, we have the sports achievements.. it is a no brainer. Play that every game and who we are will start to creep into the public mind set. It would be nice to have the ad made somewhere so that there is good production values as well. That's an easy step in the right direction.

Time to bring back Uconn "Great Pick";)

Reaction Score
Not sure I trust Manuel after he screwed up our acc invite maybe huskyfandan would be a better idea to camp out at his house

Reaction Score

You missed my point. Being 5-7 and 5-6 has a lot to do with being a viable program or not. Our football program is what holding is back.

C

Chief00

Some reasons are rationale and some are not - likability though is what cuts deals.

Reaction Score
B10's invite of Maryland and Rutgers had nothing to do with the quality of their athletic programs (which were leaking more money than the US Govt). Has everything to do with population The Big 10 network just got about 10 million-plus new eyeballs for their network.

Reaction Score

And it's net extra sets.

Sooooo beg harder 2.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104