Mansfield residents complain about Uconn | The Boneyard

Mansfield residents complain about Uconn

Reaction Score
Journal Inquirer- There goes the neighborhood

There goes the neighborhood

Something that has been brought up on here before, "To address the problem, Mansfield’s Town Council has created a subcommittee charged with reviewing existing rental regulations and fines. And in September, the town’s Planning and Zoning Commission imposed a 9-month moratorium on approving multifamily residential facilities so it can revise building codes to better accommodate future development, including student housing."

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
That's more of a town issue than a UConn issue.

If laws are being broken, enforce the laws.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
"It’s a growing trend, residents say, that’s replaced Spring Weekend — the annual three-day event notorious during the 1990s for drunken riots, bonfires, vandalized cars, and hundreds of arrests each year, mostly at the off-campus Carriage House and Celeron apartments.

University officials and state police clamped down, however, and began providing a restrained celebration on campus in recent years.

But Mansfield neighbors say the problem has merely moved to their backyards, complaining that the university hasn’t built enough new dorms to accommodate their booming enrollment."

The bolded above is so wrong I don't even know where to begin. If these kids are off campus they are most likely Junior or Senior students, aka the LEAST likely students to live in a dorm. I'd love for UConn to do what say, UVA did, and work with the Greek organizations on requirements for their parties (certain number of water/food stations, hired security, etc) rather than continuously try to chase down every single party and disband it. You're never going to stop college kids from drinking/partying, and newsflash to the people in the article but people in fraternities and sororities aren't the only ones drinking either. There's plenty of non-Greek houses at UConn that regularly throw parties.

All you do when you break up a party is disperse 100's of drunk kids at once randomly into the night with no choice but to walk (stumble?) home. This is why breaking up the Carriage parties was so stupid- at least in Carriage it was all contained and somewhat controllable. Now people are throwing parties all over the place and there's zero way to control it.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
...and in other news, water still appears to be wet.

The University has been there for 136 years. The oldest person in the world lives in Italy and is only 117 years old to boot. Ergo, not one Mansfield resident predates the college. There exists a more than probable chance that they all moved there knowing full well that a major flagship university was in town.Further, I don't know a single 18-22 year old who will let a town ordinance get in their way of partying. Either work with the school, move, or deal with it.

Reaction Score
Mansfield residents are the worst. Blame the school and the cops for shutting down hunting lodge Rd, carriage and Celeron. Anyone with the smallest inkling of foresight could have predicted this. I've been saying for years that it was going to be a problem.

Everything was nice and contained and they screwed it all up because they're stupid

Reaction Score
Wait, what? Did I just wake up back in 1997 again? Because this thread title was the same thing I heard that year having to cover town hall meetings for journalism classes. Hell, no, no football stadium on campus. Hell, no, no Pfizer research building on top of Horsebarn Hill. And you want to build a sidewalk where? Over my dead body, which isn't that far off.

I think I'll go listen to some Cardigans now.

Reaction Score
Wait, what? Did I just wake up back in 1997 again? Because this thread title was the same thing I heard that year having to cover town hall meetings for journalism classes. Hell, no, no football stadium on campus. Hell, no, no Pfizer research building on top of Horsebarn Hill. And you want to build a sidewalk where? Over my dead body, which isn't that far off.

I think I'll go listen to some Cardigans now.

I can't say I'm surprised. The NIMBY attitude from town residents is crazy considering all that the university provides for them.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The real answer at UConn and elsewhere is to admit we were wrong (well not me, but the government) and move the drinking age back to 18. Then the U can put campus owned bars on campus, run keg parties (like it did my freshman year) and generally contain this stuff while providing a safer environment (and less driving). If you can vote or serve in the military, you can have a beer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom