Mansfield P & Z opposes Mansfield Apartment Site | The Boneyard

Mansfield P & Z opposes Mansfield Apartment Site

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Mansfield Planning and Zoning Commision opposes Manafield Apartment site for construction of new ice hockey arena. The Commision suggests Depot Campus or South Campus parking lot (Bolton Road) for new arena . Depot Campus is a terrible suggestion. The South Campus parking lot is one of the most under utilized parcels on campus. Development of the South Campus lot would provide good access to Storrs Center and existing & proposed dorms.

Reaction Score
I'm not big on Eminent Domain, but I could see myself becoming a fan. South Lot could work if executed properly. It could include underground parking facility to help mitigate parking issues. Depot Campus would be a bad idea, especially if having a large student presence is the goal.

Reaction Score
I'm not big on Eminent Domain, but I could see myself becoming a fan. South Lot could work if executed properly. It could include underground parking facility to help mitigate parking issues. Depot Campus would be a bad idea, especially if having a large student presence is the goal.
ED is not required in this case since the university owns Mansfield Apartments. The university is exempt from local zoning regulations but presents construction projects to P & Z to foster good town/university relations.

Reaction Score
ED is not required in this case since the university owns Mansfield Apartments. The university is exempt from local zoning regulations but presents construction projects to P & Z to foster good town/university relations.

I had in mind the greater Storrs area, inclusive of all things Mansfield. . .

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
"We are sensitive to the concerns articulated by the MP&Z, and have taken the following steps to mitgate them, blah, blah, blah... ( i.e., you parasites, we'll build where we want.)

Reaction Score
Hmm, yeah. I'm really not too concerned about what those miserable human brings prefer.

The Mansfield Apartments site is a no-brainer because 1) it's extremely accessible for students, and 2) it would help increase foot traffic to Storrs Center.

Those parasites (sorry to steal your term, CL82, but I like it) can find something else to whine about.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
This makes sense for the university and will benefit the university. The town does not stand to benefit so this isn't surprising. They don't have any say in the matter so I'm confused as to why this is even news.

Reaction Score
This makes sense for the university and will benefit the university. The town does not stand to benefit so this isn't surprising. They don't have any say in the matter so I'm confused as to why this is even news.

Well they would benefit economically through increased foot traffic in Storrs center. Town benefits from thriving private business, increased proprty values, parking, etc, thus I am shocked the EDC doesn't support this.

Reaction Score

This is correct: the University is not required to go through the Town; it has ever since Forest City got Celeron moving in 1986. The Town, though, needs things & has to work with this Iniversity ... Or it's going to have some trouble coming.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The killer is that's not even a town.

It's UConn, with some nutniks in relatively close orbit.

I would rather see it at Mansfield Apartments and preserve the South Campus lots for future development.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I probably share 97% of the political views of the Mansfield board and even I think they're totally out of their minds on...well, just about everything.

Chuck and Augie ain't comin' back to re-take the farmland. Times are changing, for the better. The sooner they figure this out, the sooner everyone can move forward in one positive direction. Put the VW Bus in the barn, for good.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
After reading this thread, I'm wondering how many 'Yarders would support demolishing the house a mile from campus I grew up in if they felt it would benefit the athletic department...bear in mind, some of us crazy, brain-dead townies are members of families who have given a lot of support (both financial and otherwise) to UCONN athletics.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
To this day I don't know how UConn or any developer got Mansfield to sign off on Storrs Center. Crap like opposing the rink at Mansfield Apartments always seemed to pop up while I was at UConn. Never quite understood why they'd oppose a lot of these things....

Reaction Score
As some know, I was involved in the early days of Storrs Center. That actually took 9 years from winning the RFP to the first buildings Certificate of Occupancy. And major changes occurred in who was involved & few of the original principals were around when the sitework began. I'd say the Town was typical & fine. The length of that process has far more to do with the complex funding of the infrastructure.

There's been a tipping point reached. Whatever the Town thinks it's done in the past, the velocity of change in development is going to accelerate rapidly. And Susan Herbst is a catalyst. It's huge what's coming.

Reaction Score
To this day I don't know how UConn or any developer got Mansfield to sign off on Storrs Center. Crap like opposing the rink at Mansfield Apartments always seemed to pop up while I was at UConn. Never quite understood why they'd oppose a lot of these things....

My guess would be the senseless pleasure that comes from withholding.

Reaction Score
As soon as the new campus plan came out showing the barn in Mansfield Apartment, I knew the town would oppose it. They oppose everything else. To me, the only good alternate site would be if this was a combo hockey/basketball arena and build it in Storrs Center to create a legitimate entertainment district for UConn.

South lot I think is scheduled to get another parking deck and some more dorms.

Mansfield Depot is completely insane.

If Mansfield tries to block this, I think UConn should emanate domain the entire darn town and built the arena right on top of Mansfield Town Hall across the street for the apartments).

Reaction Score
It's time for UConn to starting rolling over Mansfield. The idea these people have any say is beyond stupid.

Reaction Score
After reading this thread, I'm wondering how many 'Yarders would support demolishing the house a mile from campus I grew up in if they felt it would benefit the athletic department...bear in mind, some of us crazy, brain-dead townies are members of families who have given a lot of support (both financial and otherwise) to UCONN athletics.
It's one thing to block razing someone's home, but blocking it being built on relatively open land is absurd.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I'd have to know the circumstances to know whether or not I'd support it but based on the Kelo case they probably can if they wanted to do it.

You sound as if you are are a supporter of rights of property owner to have right to control what they own. If so, shouldn't UConn be able to do what it wishes with Mansfield Apts?

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
I'd have to know the circumstances to know whether or not I'd support it but based on the Kelo case they probably can if they wanted to do it.

You sound as if you are are a supporter of rights of property owner to have right to control what they own. If so, shouldn't UConn be able to do what it wishes with Mansfield Apts?

I'm reading here that people want to level the entire town. That's way different than just building a hockey arena on university property. I try to tolerate the homerism that pops up here from time to time, but that's just f@hcking stupid. Get your heads out of your behinds. No matter what views you have of townspeople, you aren't making thousands of people homeless. I'm talking to you, Palatine. Watch your goshdarn mouth.

Reaction Score
^^

I suppose South Lot wouldn't be terrible, but Depot would be an utter disaster. May as well build it in Ashford.

If they're gonna build the new arena at the Depot, might as well build it somewhere right off of exit 68 in Tolland. Easier access to the highway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom