Manhattan, KS newspaper game preview | The Boneyard

Manhattan, KS newspaper game preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
"...Can we play at our highest level that we’ve played all year for 40 minutes? If you don’t and you have a letdown in there, that’s where UConn can run away.”

TheMercury.com | K-State preparing for marquee matchup

The coach and players said some nice things: "We're not going to worry about what UConn does, just what we can do". That's a novel approach. They have a game plan. I don't want to appear cocky here. But there's no way I can say what I'm thinking without it sounding that way. DePaul had a plan too. So did Baylor, Notre Dame and Texas, and they WERE RANKED!!!!

What else was she supposed to say? K-State is going to find out real quick why UConn is the best team in the country. K-State will realize that UConn looks bigger and faster "in person", than they do on TV. No final score here, but I'll suggest that UConn scores above 75, and K-State does not break 60. This game will be over after 3 quarters.

Reaction Score
Just thinking about it, if we have to lose I'd prefer it be to be a really off night to a ragtag bunch of overachievers like this as opposed to a hard fought loss to ND or, shudder, MD. If these girls won it would actually mean something to them and be in all likelihood the highlight of their baller careers. They would be keenly aware that they were in the all time right place at the right time and savor the miracle the way it the way you should. The others we face who have a slight chance of victory would see it as their due and as proof that they were somehow the better program instead of just lucky to have shown up on our off night.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Just thinking about it, if we have to lose I'd prefer it be to be a really off night to a ragtag bunch of overachievers like this as opposed to a hard fought loss to ND or, shudder, MD. If these girls won it would actually mean something to them and be in all likelihood the highlight of their baller careers. They would be keenly aware that they were in the all time right place at the right time and savor the miracle the way it the way you should. The others we face who have a slight chance of victory would see it as their due and as proof that they were somehow the better program instead of just lucky to have shown up on our off night.
upload_2016-12-11_10-40-31.png
upload_2016-12-11_10-41-57.png

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
The coach and players said some nice things: "We're not going to worry about what UConn does, just what we can do". That's a novel approach. They have a game plan. I don't want to appear cocky here. But there's no way I can say what I'm thinking without it sounding that way. DePaul had a plan too. So did Baylor, Notre Dame and Texas, and they WERE RANKED!!!!

What else was she supposed to say? K-State is going to find out real quick why UConn is the best team in the country. K-State will realize that UConn looks bigger and faster "in person", than they do on TV. No final score here, but I'll suggest that UConn scores above 75, and K-State does not break 60. This game will be over after 3 quarters.
Everybody has a plan, until they get punched in the mouth~Mike Tyson

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I know we aren't supposed to even contemplate a loss, but I agree. St. Johns beating us at home was not a result anyone wanted, but it was 'good for them' what a thrill! Losing to a real 'rival' never feels good.
The one exception to that was I was OK with Tara beating us two years ago - I have a lot of respect for her coaching, they were no longer really a rival as they were not that great a team that year (lost to Texas I believe the next game out), so it didn't feel 'personal'.

Carnac

Reaction Score

With respect to my prediction above "I'll suggest that UConn scores above 75, and K-State does not break 60", I'll borrow a phrase from "Tony Kornheiser (aka Mr Tony)" that he uses whenever a prediction he makes comes through: "I believe I had that" :cool:

Carnac

Reaction Score

We have two games coming up that fit this description to a T. The team I'm thinking of is the University of South Florida (USF). They have the size, depth the familiarity (we play them twice a year), and they always play UConn with no fear. For the last 3 years, USF has played UConn tough, but have come up short every time. THEY are UConn's biggest conference rivals.
UConn needs more USF's in what continues to be a weak AAC. Most AAC teams still have problems winning OOC games on a regular basis. They lose games to other unranked mid-majors that they should be winning. Most appear to be "stuck" in a bog.

USF was hit very hard by graduation, and also lost their big 3: Courtney Williams (team and conference leading scorer), Shaletha Stringfield (starting point guard) & Alisia Jenkins (leading team rebounder). At the beginning of last week (Dec 5), USF was ranked #22 in the AP, and USA today coach's polls. They continue to be a team on the come. I'm NOT saying this will happen, just that the possibility does exist. This match up has all the makings of a perfect storm.

Reaction Score
Thought going into the game that there was no realistic possibility of us losing. These are the type of sleeper games that Geno and staff absolutely never overlook.

For K-State to lose big would be unsurprising. Losing by less than 25 might qualify as a moral victory. A reasonably competive affair with the margin in low double digits would give them real satisfaction. That's what they got. Good for them.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
We have two games coming up that fit this description to a T. The team I'm thinking of is the University of South Florida (USF). They have the size, depth the familiarity (we play them twice a year), and they always play UConn with no fear. For the last 3 years, USF has played UConn tough, but have come up short every time. THEY are UConn's biggest conference rivals.
UConn needs more USF's in what continues to be a weak AAC. Most AAC teams still have problems winning OOC games on a regular basis. They lose games to other unranked mid-majors that they should be winning. Most appear to be "stuck" in a bog.

USF was hit very hard by graduation, and also lost their big 3: Courtney Williams (team and conference leading scorer), Shaletha Stringfield (starting point guard) & Alisia Jenkins (leading team rebounder). At the beginning of last week (Dec 5), USF was ranked #22 in the AP, and USA today coach's polls. They continue to be a team on the come. I'm NOT saying this will happen, just that the possibility does exist. This match up has all the makings of a perfect storm.
USF has a good coach along with Laksa and a lot of other foreign talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom