Mamadou Diarra played three more minutes than David Onuorah this season | The Boneyard

Mamadou Diarra played three more minutes than David Onuorah this season

Reaction Score
With those three extra minutes, he scored 53 more points, grabbed 17 more rebounds, and blocked ten more shots. He was a freshman with obvious upside and Onuorah was a stopgap grad transfer who had no role in our future plans.

Of all the things you can second guess Ollie on, this will be the toughest for his supporters - which I am to a point - to defend. I get that minutes are determined based on more than stats. Trust me I do.

But this wasn’t a case of us being a better team with Onuorah on the court, it was a prime example of Ollie not knowing how far to push and when to stop. When he plays the role of disciplinarian, he ends up looking like an idiot who doesn’t know his best players from the walk-ons and is actively trying to throw games. When he takes the Mr. Sunshine approach, guys end up cutting corners and taking advantage of him (I.e. our effort on defense all season).

He needs to be coaching adults. Right now, he looks like a substitute teacher praying for the bell to ring. Part of me wants to give him a chance to figure it out. Part of me doesn’t think we have time to take that risk.

But reality is reality: he’s not reaching these kids. This isn’t about whether he can coach. He obviously can. This is about his inability to grab a 19 year old kid by the balls and say listen son, next time your man nails a three while you’re drifting I’m putting you on a tee and sending you to mars. There is a reason he loves the grad transfers. Onuorah might not be good, but he’s been coached. The problem is that he seems to solve for his own insecurities by playing him over guys who can be good but need to be coached. I don’t know whether Cobb and Kwintin are hard workers, slackers, good kids, punks...either way those type of things get lost in translation when your head coach looks like the world’s biggest victim.

Our best five was Adams, Anderson, Vital, Larrier, Diarra. He knew it, I knew it, you knew it. He didn’t have the guts to play them together until it was too late because he thought doing so would be conceding to his team. And he might have been right. Regardless, he struggles - recruiting or coaching - with the political part of the job. He has no control over the team.

Does he come back? I’m pretty much indifferent. If he can find some guys to play for him that believe in him, hold themselves to a high standard, and have already been coached, fine. Give Ollie a team of five Antoine Anderson’s (love the kid) and he will over-achieve. He can take over the right NBA team tomorrow and hold his own. If that type of situation isn’t in the cards and we need to bring in a scumbag like Hurley, which I say endearingly, do that. Given the choice I’d rather ride with the guy I love, the guy who played here and the guy we won a championship with...but it can’t be this bad. We are entering we have no choice territory.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Give Ollie a team of five Anthony Andersons and we’d end up firing every human being associated with UConn basketball right down to the guys who clean the floors at
Gampel.

There’s so much wrong in that post that I don’t know where to start.

We have a basketball coach who is deficient in nearly every aspect of the job. It’s not politics or fear or kids or whatever the hell else, it’s incompetence.

Full stop.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
In Andersons defense, he played outside of his Initial role on the team. He wasn't suppose to get that many minutes (I hope) but he did due to injury and a decommit. That's not his fault.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Give Ollie a team of five Antoine Anderson’s (love the kid) and he will over-achieve.
Champs, it is you who has over achieved with the best sentence of this desultory season. Kudos.

Reaction Score
Can I get a citation? I said the exact same thing in another thread.

KO was clueless about his rotations, and despite the season being over about 10 games in, refused to play the kids who needed time to develop.

Regarding the rotations, I STILL don't know what the rotation is and the season was officially over just 9 hours ago.

Reaction Score
Akoy Agau had the game of his life today.

Diarra is not a center.

Onuorah is not good at all, not even close.

But Diarra is not a center.

And Akoy Agau had the game of his life.

Only Carlton and Onuorah can provide even limited resistance to the greatness (err, um, mediocrity of Akoy Agau).

Finally, I would like to say, Diarra is not a center.

Reaction Score
We have a basketball coach who is deficient in nearly every aspect of the job. It’s not politics or fear or kids or whatever the hell else, it’s incompetence.

Full stop.

This.

There's absolutely zero basketball reasons whatsoever to keep him. He's bad at every single area of being a Division I college head coach minus getting his kids to go to class.

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
Don’t get me wrong, I knew the ship was sinking months ago. But if Ollie was certain he would be back next year - as it seems - why wouldn’t he preserve the knees of an up-and-coming big (with knee issues, mind you) vs. someone who is gone next year? We all saw the product. Neither Big Dave nor Diarra were the missing link.

Reaction Score

Diarra is not a center.

Only Carlton and Onuorah can provide even limited resistance to the greatness (err, um, mediocrity of Akoy Agau).

Strange hill to die on when I saw Reggie Bullock effectively playing center during parts of the PC game. The guy was recruited as a 2/3. You play your best players and adapt the scheme to put them in the best position.

There are solid teams throughout the country giving heavy minutes to big 3s and small 4s at center. The idea that Diarra and Williams are too small to get any minutes at C is flat out wrong.

Reaction Score

Diarra is not a center.

Look back at the game and he scored many of Those points on DO, Whaley and Carlton. Diarra was the only big guy who provided resistance and was key in our second half run. He has the weight and then length(long arms) to play center for us.

Just a bad post by you. Now Whaley has no business playing center for us as he was getting abused by Akoy Agau.

Reaction Score
In Andersons defense, he played outside of his Initial role on the team. He wasn't suppose to get that many minutes (I hope) but he did due to injury and a decommit. That's not his fault.
Just realized AA was what cassel was meant to be for us. Yaaaay.

Reaction Score
Cmon guys, in KO’s mind we were undefeated in practice and that’s good enough for me. David Onourah is the practice Hakeem Olajuwon and will go number one in the first annual 2018 Practice Draft.

Reaction Score
Strange hill to die on when I saw Reggie Bullock effectively playing center during parts of the PC game. The guy was recruited as a 2/3. You play your best players and adapt the scheme to put them in the best position.

There are solid teams throughout the country giving heavy minutes to big 3s and small 4s at center. The idea that Diarra and Williams are too small to get any minutes at C is flat out wrong.
Personally I think it can only work if you have a true 4 in there too. Larrier had no business being our 4 all year. And unfortunately if KO is back, Sid Wilson will probably get stuck in the same role. It's like KO is trying to recreate Deandre Daniels.

Reaction Score

Akoy Agau had the best game of his career against mainly Diarra today.

I mean, what more proof do you need?

This is a replay of the Enoch/Brimah argument last year.

When Enoch was in, there was absolutely no resistance at all.

There's a reason so many bigs, like Agau, have been successful against UConn this year.

Williams? At center? Please.

People were even calling for Cobb. What a disaster that was today.

Reaction Score
100% agree that AG's injury thrust him into a role he wasn't brought on for. KO using him as much as he didn't isn't as incompetent as his inexplicable use of DO. That said, AA is not a talented player and not good enough to compete at UConn or in the AAC. He's a low-level D1 player with a great attitude and work ethic.

Reaction Score

There's a reason so many bigs, like Agau, have been successful against UConn this year.

Kind of ironic that you’re trying to defend a coach who dreams of a team of positionless players. A lineup with guys with actual talent like Williams and Diarra can be effective if you don’t let the opposing team always force you into a half court battle. If you have athletic players, implement a system that allows you to go small and utilize their strengths instead of letting the other coach dictate a style that completely negates their strengths.

Reaction Score

Look back at the tape it wasn’t Diarra. It was the other 4 centers we used.

Reaction Score

When you deeply a front court of smaller guys, you adapt the philosophy. Perhaps more fronting and guards pinching down. It's doable.

I just disagree with your premise that Williams And MD are too small to play C when I routinely see other teams trot out even smaller front courts.

Reaction Score

Blah blah blah. I was a KO defender for a long time but I always thought one of his biggest weaknesses was refusing to play young bigs because of their failings in positional defense. How do you get better at your failings if you don't play? This was true of Facey as a frosh, Lubin (yeah I know a limited player, but Nolan was horrific), and Enoch as a freshman. It was also true this year with Dave O vs. the youngsters.

You have to give young guys minutes so that they can improve. KO does that in the backcourt, but does not do it AT ALL in the frontcourt.

As for the "he's not a center" argument, blue93 is right. Play TWO of them, instead of trying to pretend Larrier is remotely capable of being a 4. If you're Whaley or Carlton or Diarra and Larrier is your 4, WTF chance do you have at trying to stop anything inside? And yet somehow the blame for that always falls on them.

Finally, and the crucial point - Dave O didn't ever stop anyone from anything anyway so why on earth play him so much.

Reaction Score
When you deeply a front court of smaller guys, you adapt the philosophy. Perhaps more fronting and guards pinching down. It's doable.

I just disagree with your premise that Williams And MD are too small to play C when I routinely see other teams trot out even smaller front courts.
And Diasra plays bigger with his long arms. Similar to how Adrien played. Diarra’s problem is he can’t stay on the floor without getting into foul trouble.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom