Malik Newman? | The Boneyard

Malik Newman?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

I understand this is a complete longshot, but if he ultimatley transfers from Miss. St. do you think KO would take a shot at going after this guy? I remember last year that UConn was somewhat in the mix for him when we were trying to recruit Diamond Stone, unless I'm completely missing something. Would love to see KO pursue this player is he ends up leaving Miss. St.

Go Huskies

Reaction Score

I understand this is a complete longshot, but if he ultimatley transfers from Miss. St. do you think KO would take a shot at going after this guy? I remember last year that UConn was somewhat in the mix for him when we were trying to recruit Diamond Stone, unless I'm completely missing something. Would love to see KO pursue this player is he ends up leaving Miss. St.

Go Huskies

It would be a nice get, kid has tremendous upside, although seems to have some attitude issues.

I am just hoping Mr. Ollie can get one more transfer or recruit in here for 2016, him and his staff is obviously working around the clock to do so, so in turns I have plenty of faith.

Reaction Score
I take this to mean he is looking to go pro, probably Europe, rather than transferring.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
I've read he really doesn't want to sit out a year and may go JUCO. 2017 draft is going to be loaded with depth, he might be better off transferring and sitting out a year and entering the 2018 draft.

Reaction Score
should have just stayed in the draft, got on a dleague team. Juco would be a step back and unthinkable really.

Reaction Score
I've read he really doesn't want to sit out a year and may go JUCO. 2017 draft is going to be loaded with depth, he might be better off transferring and sitting out a year and entering the 2018 draft.

I heard yesterday that JUCO rules state that players are ineligible if they've entered a professional draft, which he did (even though he later withdrew) so I'm not sure he'd get into JUCO without some trouble.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
How do the SEC rules work for basketball? Does he get to keep his full "signing bonus"? Or does he have to pay back all of it to the boosters? Or just a pro-rated portion? Wonder how they handle this down there?:rolleyes:

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Don't think he's coming to UConn. Looks like he wants to play PG. We have 2 PGs that'd be ahead of him in JA and AG. We'd have him play 2 or 3. Not gonna happen.

Reaction Score
doing a year of Juco seems like a terrible option as well as sitting out a year. DLeague or Overseas makes more sense if he hates Ben howland that much.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Why would Ollie want him? If he couldn't play for Miss. St., why would anyone think he could play for UConn.

Reaction Score
Why would Ollie want him? If he couldn't play for Miss. St., why would anyone think he could play for UConn.

Are you serious? He's a uber talented any school including Kentucky would take him

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
How do the SEC rules work for basketball? Does he get to keep his full "signing bonus"? Or does he have to pay back all of it to the boosters? Or just a pro-rated portion? Wonder how they handle this down there?:rolleyes:
Bwaaa haaa haa, this is basketball. Why would the boosters can about $100k they spent on a bball recruit? $500k church donations rule the day on the football scene.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
doing a year of Juco seems like a terrible option as well as sitting out a year. DLeague or Overseas makes more sense if he hates Ben howland that much.

Who doesn't hate Howland? He's the same creep who never said goodbye to his players at Pitt before he left for UCLA.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Kind of makes you wonder whether he has other issues.
I was thinking the same thing. It takes a lot more than physical talent to go from high school to D1. You have to be teachable
and be a teammate. Sometime just need to grow up a little or a lot. Don't really have a clue but wish him the best. KO saw enough in
him to make an offer.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Character and how a player would mesh with his teammates/accept his role in Coach Ollie's system are critical. However, many of the same things were said about Rodney Purvis (that he only wanted to play point guard etc.) and RP's character, loyalty to UConn and ability to accept the role that he has been given (e.g. being benched last year) are beyond reproach. Coach Ollie actively recruited Malik, so there is already a relationship there and Coach will be able to accurately assess these issues of acceptance, character etc. So, if Coach wants him, I would be all for it. Malik undoubtably took a big blow to his ego last season and may be looking for a do-over in a healthy, supportive environment.

Reaction Score
He is very talented but so are Ja and ag. Let's give or guys the room they need to be the players they can be. I'd be happy if we weren't interested.

Reaction Score
And it appears the Juco talk was false, plans on sitting out a year and working on his game

The talk was that his family was asking if it was an option... and from what I've heard it turns out it wasn't an option because of JUCO rules. Doesn't mean they didn't look into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom