Making special teams "special" | The Boneyard

Making special teams "special"

Reaction Score
I'm wondering if anybody can get word to Coach Edsall 2.0 about this idea... Let's finally get somebody in on our special teams to be special... When I say special I mean let's find a way to get that Frank Beamer type philosophy built into our system... This would be a HUGE asset to our program. With the lack of players that fit the new schemes, there's gotta be kids that can at least perform on specials. we can get kids to block a few punts/FGs.. or am I making too much sense?

Reaction Score
I'm wondering if anybody can get word to Coach Edsall 2.0 about this idea... Let's finally get somebody in on our special teams to be special... When I say special I mean let's find a way to get that Frank Beamer type philosophy built into our system... This would be a HUGE asset to our program. With the lack of players that fit the new schemes, there's gotta be kids that can at least perform on specials. we can get kids to block a few punts/FGs.. or am I making too much sense?

Sorry K - no clue what you are talking about - did you mean to link something?

Reaction Score
I got a little busy... forgot about this thread.. I shoulda been clearer...

My point is wouldn't it make sense to implement special teams play that is even more aggressive than just finally getting a KR or PR since we missed out on that stuff pretty much the last 3 years? Let's try and bring in formations that can utilitize the speedy guys on special teams to try and block some punts... That would be a HUGE help to a team like ours that has its struggles.. I know we still need to recruit better, but we have enough now to try and block a punt or 2, no? Just sayin....

Reaction Score
I got a little busy... forgot about this thread.. I shoulda been clearer...

My point is wouldn't it make sense to implement special teams play that is even more aggressive than just finally getting a KR or PR since we missed out on that stuff pretty much the last 3 years? Let's try and bring in formations that can utilitize the speedy guys on special teams to try and block some punts... That would be a HUGE help to a team like ours that has its struggles.. I know we still need to recruit better, but we have enough now to try and block a punt or 2, no? Just sayin....
I would agree with you in some cases, but with how poorly our defense has played this year, if we force a point I think we should take the ball and be happy. Trying to block punts results in too many running into/roughing the kicker calls that extend drives.

Reaction Score
I would agree with you in some cases, but with how poorly our defense has played this year, if we force a point I think we should take the ball and be happy. Trying to block punts results in too many running into/roughing the kicker calls that extend drives.
Thanks for understanding what I'm getting at bro, and I understand the risks, but what can get worse now? How can it get worse if we can get the right coaching in here to bring some more aggression on special teams? IMO, we need this element as well... they say "Play the play as if it's the last play you ever play" (Go hard or go home)... A lot of times, I gotta be honest, I don't see that. Yeah, it has something to do with experience, but football is a game of aggression... Go hard until the whistle blows... I think it could easily be argued that implementing this facet to our game can only help, not hurt, our chances in football games..

Reaction Score
Guess I agree re bad if punt return team penalties extend drives, like the off sides early in game last week. Don't see anything as 100% yes or no. Opponent punting from own goal line, 4th and 9 (running into not 1st down), late in game and down 8; sure seems like time to attack. Also, only guys on punt return team that actually go after punter can't be more than 3 or 4 players, training them on how to attack block doesn't seem like such a hard thing to do. Also, pressure always increases opponent mistakes, getting them to "think" about what is coming, even if doesn't come very often can't hurt. Also, field the punts; if takes 2 guys back so be it.

As another note on special teams, if ball on kick off is coming down at 2 or 3 yard line if just get out of way and it goes past goal line (usually not like punt where might bounce back) it is touch back and out to 25 yard line. Also, never run ball out of end zone on kick offs (unless time and dire situation dictate otherwise).

When you are the 100th or so best team in country out of 129 you hit on every aspect of the game to get a little advantage. Special teams sure seems like an area to work at, it's not like it will take time away from starting DB's practicing their 10 yard cushion on 3rd and 8 pass defense.

Reaction Score
I think we need the Miami turnover charm....maybe a giant diamond studded dog bone with a heavy golden chain...not.
I do think Temple's tough man number is pretty cool. Sets a standard.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom