Make room ketchup, move over peanut butter! chimichurri is the next big condiment! | The Boneyard

Make room ketchup, move over peanut butter! chimichurri is the next big condiment!

Reaction Score
I have not been to Argentina yet but it is somewhat popular in Colombia too, even outside the Argentinian restaurants. I tried it for the first time in Bogota in the summer of 2014 and now it frequently replaces ketchup and other condiments I used to enjoy when I eat out. I always love a good chimichurri with steak, potatoes or just to improvise with a new food. If you have not tried it yet, it is delicious!

What are your thoughts on chimichurri? Have you tried it? Do you have a favorite condiment and/or a unique way in which you use a specific condiment? Know of other unique condiments from around the world?

edit: Forgot the OT label, d'oh!
edit: I guess peanut butter is not really a condiment, d'oh again

Reaction Score
Chimichurri is great on steak. I tried that for the first time on a cruise last summer. I need more of that in my life.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Chimichurri has another advantage over ketchup and salsa - it's really easy and cheap to make at home, so you can always have it fresh, especially if you grow your own parsley.

Simple recipe.

While it's not an all-purpose condiment in my house, I've been using it since the 90s.

As far as other condiments, I'm all into mayo with fries these days (TJ's, not Hellman's), piri-piri on eggs, and I can eat kimchi with pretty much anything.

Reaction Score
Is it a condiment? Is pesto or chutney also condiments then?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Something Julie Andrews invented about 60 years ago.
I think you mean Dick Van Dyke, but well played.

FWIW, I had to google this. It turns out it is the marinade my mom was putting on steaks 40 years ago.

(No, we aren't Argentinian.)

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Is it a condiment? Is pesto or chutney also condiments then?

IMO, chutney has always been a condiment.

I think it's up to the user whether pesto is or not because you can make pesto out of almost any herb (and sometimes non-herbs) you want. That coriander dip you'd often find at Indian restaurants is simply a variation of pesto (or vice verse). Speaking of which, pickled onions work with all sorts of things.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
There's a restaurant in LA that I go to just for the White Kimchi Clam Pasta. Amazing combination of flavors.

Hungry Crowd? Seems it's their signature dish.

Never had it (or even thought of it) but it's intriguing. Tried to find a recipe this morning with no luck.

Reaction Score
What are your thoughts on chimichurri? Lol, I love the boneyard.

I love it along with every green sauce but the Peruvian Aji Verde might be my favorite.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Hungry Crowd? Seems it's their signature dish.

Never had it (or even thought of it) but it's intriguing. Tried to find a recipe this morning with no luck.
Yes - Hungry Crowd in Toluca Lake. Just had it Friday. They use some saffron and there's definitely some lemon in the sauce.

Reaction Score
How would you classify them?

I don't know. I mean, just because you decide to put anything onto another food item, is it a condiment? So, I dip my French fries in a Frosty at Wendy's. The Frosty is now a condiment?

Reaction Score
I don't know. I mean, just because you decide to put anything onto another food item, is it a condiment? So, I dip my French fries in a Frosty at Wendy's. The Frosty is now a condiment?
Onto vs into

And no lol before you ask I wouldn’t consider a frosty a sauce

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I wouldn’t consider a frosty a sauce
I'd say the opposite, if that's the way he's using it, though that shift if he later (or before) is sucking the Frosty with a straw or eating it with a spoon. It would take a lot of fries for even a small Frosty though.

Reaction Score
I like Chimichurri but I always feel like it could use more spice. I usually add a little habanero based hot sauce.

Reaction Score
Ive been making my own for years. I like it with steak and pork. Dont really us it outside of that because I dont want to get tired of it. It is delicious and easy to make.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Why are we talking about chimichurri when we could be talking about chimichangas?

Reaction Score
Walmart has chick fil a sauce. It's called chicken. Dipping sauce.

Reaction Score
My first exposure was in 1992. It came on a grilled petite filet in a little Cuban restaurant. I loved it and wondered why I had never run into it before. Now you can buy it at just about any grocery store but its hard to beat a freshly made version.

Reaction Score
Best condiment no one uses is ajvar. If you have ever been to the former yugoslavia and had a chance to try it, you will want it on everything.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom