Major event of the evening | The Boneyard

Major event of the evening

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Not worrying about another loss with this group. Graduation will solve most of the problems we have.

Major event of the evening is that we finally, FINALLY, managed to land the quality big we’ve been chasing for the last billion recruiting classes.

I’m gonna pretend that nothing else happened tonight.

Reaction Score
Same for me. I'm not really expecting much this season or maybe I'm just used to losing now. Oh well, great get by Hurley and company.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Not worrying about another loss with this group. Graduation will solve most of the problems we have.

Major event of the evening is that we finally, FINALLY, managed to land the quality big we’ve been chasing for the last billion recruiting classes.

So big that it gets its own thread.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
When Alterique leaves after the spring, is it more likely we replace him with a grad transfer or do we recruit another 2020 guy in the spring period?

Reaction Score
I think we need a guard with our last slot assuming Gilbert moves on as has been reported. Having Jackson, Polley, Wilson, Akok, Springs, Whaley, Carlton, Javonte at 3 thru 5 seems like enough for.the frontcourt unless someone too good to pass up like Cliff surprisingly wants to jump in the boat. I'm feeling Cole, Gaffney, Bouknight and Adams feels a little thin at guard. Preferrably someone that could put the ball in the basket. If he can play point at times even better.

C

Chief00

I think we need a guard with our last slot assuming Gilbert moves on as has been reported. Having Jackson, Polley, Wilson, Akok, Springs, Whaley, Carlton, Javonte at 3 thru 5 seems like enough for.the frontcourt unless someone too good to pass up like Cliff surprisingly wants to jump in the boat. I'm feeling Cole, Gaffney, Bouknight and Adams feels a little thin at guard. Preferrably someone that could put the ball in the basket. If he can play point at times even better.
I think they are still hoping for Cliff in the Spring but need a scorer too. We should make room for any talented guy we can get.

Reaction Score
Going to be a breath of fresh air existing in the Big East next season, and to have the majority of the team be Hurley's guys.

Turning a major corner from over half a decade of lackluster effort that hasn't felt like UConn basketball for too long.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Agreed @Fishy. Staff came into the fall signing period wanting a wing player and a big. They got 2 quality 4 star recruits.

And still a chance to grab a decent grad transfer who won't take up a schollie.

Reaction Score
Who is the point guard next year? Cole?
Can't rely on one guy.
Always need 3 point guards.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
When Alterique leaves after the spring, is it more likely we replace him with a grad transfer or do we recruit another 2020 guy in the spring period?

Hard to get a decent PG grad transfer who knows he's sitting behind Cole and Gaffney. The absolute BEST we could do is an Antwoine Anderson. And I'm not even sure about that.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Who is the point guard next year? Cole?
Can't rely on one guy.
Always need 3 point guards.

Cole and Gaffney are the PGs. Bouk will handle the ball, with some Adams.

It's a thin group.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
I think we should use caution in showing AG the door in the spring after 2 games. It’s 2 games. All this “ I can’t wait till he leaves “ talk could easily turn into about 5 “please stay” threads around these parts.

Reaction Score
akok will leave for the pros if not nba then overseas

lol drummond would break every bone in his body with a hip check. i've got him penciled in through his junior year. so assuming Gilbert leaves that means there's 1 open scholarship for 2020 and 4 open for 2021.

blind speculation- hurley waits it out for Cliff, otherwise he takes a grad transfer, but not both.

signing 2 freshmen, or a freshmen and a transfer (like cole) would be one thing, but has anyone heard of a coach forcing out a current player to sign a grad transfer?

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I think we should use caution in showing AG the door in the spring after 2 games. It’s 2 games. All this “ I can’t wait till he leaves “ talk could easily turn into about 5 “please stay” threads around these parts.

It could. But I don't think he's going to magically start draining 3s. And his size is really limiting him in the paint. Some guys can compensate for that (Boat), but Gilbert has yet to show any of that.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
It could. But I don't think he's going to magically start draining 3s. And his size is really limiting him in the paint. Some guys can compensate for that (Boat), but Gilbert has yet to show any of that.
Good points. We’ll see. I’ll give it more time and see what the coach can do. I’ll root for him.

Reaction Score
It's not his size limiting him in the paint, it's his bball IQ. He has no clue what to do when he's 12-14 feet out and just crashes under the hoop every time. No floaters, no draw and kicks, no plan whatsoever.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
It's not his size limiting him in the paint, it's his bball IQ. He has no clue what to do when he's 12-14 feet out and just crashes under the hoop every time. No floaters, no draw and kicks, no plan whatsoever.

We are saying the same thing really, just two sides of the same coin. His size is limiting him in the paint, in that, because he's small, he gets lost in the trees and stuffed. He needs to compensate for that with floaters, stop and pops, drive and dump, kick outs and whatever. But he tries to play like Jalen Adams with circus shots and all that. Gilbert just goes to the rack. But doesn't have the size and skill to finish those shots.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

You aren't worried that he won't develop?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom