Maintaining Coaching Salaries Non Bcs | The Boneyard

Maintaining Coaching Salaries Non Bcs

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fortebleedsblue

If the perfect storm continues and we are no longer a BCS program do we hold contracts and continue to pay our coaches BCS salaries or do we go after more practical options? What are the implications? It's unfortunate because of the ridiculous amounts of money we pumped into the Shenkman Burton complex and the rent to see programs like Duke, Vanderbilt, Baylor or BC ride the wave but it is what it is.

Reaction Score
What do you mean "do we hold contracts"? What else are we going to do? This isn't the NFL, we can't cut them.

Reaction Score
Yes, we will continue to pay. Again, Herbst is clearly intending to bring UConn to the highest level in all areas. If she sticks around, we will pay for coaches and facilities.

Reaction Score
Yes, we will continue to pay. Again, Herbst is clearly intending to bring UConn to the highest level in all areas. If she sticks around, we will pay for coaches and facilities.

I don't think a non-BCS school pays big for coaching. Your revenue stream gets sliced.

Reaction Score
A school that wants to claw its way to the top (like Louisville) will. I don't see UConn willingly fading into oblivion over football salaries.

Reaction Score
Herbst may have very good intensions.....I don't doubt it. But that may be the best she can do, and the highest level of competition may be a non BCS league. TV revenue will drop, and the number of bowl offerings for the league may drop from 5-6 to 1-2. That's a huge revenue loss outside of possible downturn in attendence and ticket prices.
I'm afraid UConn and its football partners may be in the loss bracket as far as revenue goes if it tries to pay for BCS coaches with a program that does not generate BCS revenues.
The salary question may all be moot.......we can't get big name coach interest now.......we certainly won't if the FB league is downgraded. Expenses will have to be cut.

Reaction Score
I think you have to prioritize. Given the investment already made in big time football at UConn, you may need to lose money for a while in order to get into a better conference situation. If UConn decides to lay down and play football on the cheap, then we might as well give up. Connecticut will not support MAC level football. We are a wealthy state with tons of pro options within reasonable proximity. It just won't work. ITS FISH OR CUT BAIT.

Reaction Score
I think you have to prioritize. Given the investment already made in big time football at UConn, you may need to lose money for a while in order to get into a better conference situation. If UConn decides to lay down and play football on the cheap, then we might as well give up. Connecticut will not support MAC level football. We are a wealthy state with tons of pro options within reasonable proximity. It just won't work. ITS FISH OR CUT BAIT.

UConn sports are already losing $10-15 million a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom