Maine added to 2020 OOC Schedule? | The Boneyard

Maine added to 2020 OOC Schedule?

Reaction Score
It's not all that bad of a schedule for the near future. We better get up on the horsey and recruit like hell though. Successfully.

TJT

Reaction Score
Maine is the second most played opponent all time for the Huskies at 74 games. Only URI has been played more (95)

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Perfect. Maine is what I wanted...or Stony Brook or something new like UNH.

Now, how about adding Rutty to 2021 and 2024??

Answering my own question: Crap - Rutty's OOC in 2021 is already set with Delaware, Syracuse and Temple. BIG running with only three OOC these days. And in 2024 Rutty has just Virginia Tech scheduled, so that is real possibility.

Who can we get for 2021? Ah, I found it, Maryland only has West Virginia booked for 2021. Perfect.

And what G5 school do we want for 2022 and 2023? Army? Buffalo? BYU? Marshall? Please no other directional MAC schools.

I forget where Tennessee fits into all of this. Tennessee has an open date in 2021; playing just Pitt, Bowling Green and South Alabama that year - all at home. And they have @ Pitt, BYU and Army for 2022.

I say book Maryland in 2021 and Tennessee in 2022. Maybe push out that NC State series one year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Maryland would have to play a return game. Notice we have home-and-homes with BC and NCSU.

Reaction Score
Good. This is exactly the type of non conference opponent we should be playing until we figure out how to break out of 100s.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Would love to schedule a home and home with Rutgers. Or play the game at Yankee/Citi/Met Life. Our games against them were always competitive and came with a fun atmosphere. I would guess RU fans would 'meh' at the thought of playing us right now, and rightfully so. But by the time the games are played, I think we'll be competitive again and would be fun for the area.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Smart move to dodge the Black Bears this year. Not sure the Huskies can handle "Electric" Earnest Edwards!

Reaction Score
Odd we dont have a relationship with UNH.

We did up through the first couple years of Randy's first stint. Not sure if there was any friction bw schools coaches or AD's. Not sure why it stopped, other than Randy may not have projected it was wins making the jump. Chip Kelly was developing read option offense up there at the time. Might be worth kicking the tires to fill out the 1-AA opponents if they have opening.

Reaction Score
Would love to schedule a home and home with Rutgers. Or play the game at Yankee/Citi/Met Life. Our games against them were always competitive and came with a fun atmosphere. I would guess RU fans would 'meh' at the thought of playing us right now, and rightfully so. But by the time the games are played, I think we'll be competitive again and would be fun for the area.

Can't schedule a THIRD Power 5 non conference team in a given year when we already scheduled losses with Clemson, NC State, and BC. That will do wonders for our win totals and program trajectory. Keep scheduling sure fire losses when there's a ton of potential losses already in the AAC. And for kicks let's play it down in NYC in front of 15,000 Rutgers and the several hundred UConn fans that bother to show up. Until we figure out how we became one of the worst teams in the country I strongly encourage following the Calhoun non conference scheduling strategy of the 90s. Cupcakes= wins= momentum= than start beefing it up.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would guess RU fans would 'meh' at the thought of playing us right now, and rightfully so.
IDK about that. If I'm a Rutgers fan I'd like to see a competitive game (if not the best football) between two old foes rather than a 55-3 drubbing by Ohio State. Its not like we are an FCS team, though we have been playing like one

Reaction Score
should schedule Army again or Air Force.

Playing the academies regularly can be difficult, if we're not recruiting a level of athlete that simply will physically overpower their style of football. It's one of the few things that Coach Batman was accurate about, although I think he obsessed a bit too much on it.

But it's my understanding that rules changes have been enacted this year, that put a lot of restriction on the kind of 10 man blocking schemes and techniques that the academies use to run the the football, so it may not be quite the issue it was in the past to schedule Army.

One thing is for sure, there are few places that are as aesthetically pleasing and entertaining to watch college football as West Point.

Reaction Score
Playing the academies regularly can be difficult, if we're not recruiting a level of athlete that simply will physically overpower their style of football. It's one of the few things that Coach Batman was accurate about, although I think he obsessed a bit too much on it.

But it's my understanding that rules changes have been enacted this year, that put a lot of restriction on the kind of 10 man blocking schemes and techniques that the academies use to run the the football, so it may not be quite the issue it was in the past to schedule Army.

One thing is for sure, there are few places that are as aesthetically pleasing and entertaining to watch college football as West Point.

Welp, last time we played Army, we squeaked a win out even with them being slightly "down." But agree with you on most of this, the rule changes works in favor of us since they can be flagged with some of their blocking schemes they use.

Reaction Score
I wish we opened up with Army every year, home and away. Westpoint is a great venue and easy to travel road game. Also it would increase our strength of schedule in lieu of playing an FCS team.

I wish the BC game would be every year on Thanksgiving weekend. It deserves to be a rival trophy game with a "The New England Trophy" or smoothing to get the excitement back.

I would not mind playing Rutgers every year aka
UConn - Rutgers would be a great game to play in NYC.

"Tri-State Trophy"

Reaction Score
I wish the BC game would be every year on Thanksgiving weekend. It deserves to be a rival trophy game with a "The New England Trophy" or smoothing to get the excitement back.

The winner can hold a trophy called 'New England's College Football Team' for the year while the loser has to invite Senator Blumenthal over for their Thanksgiving team dinner.

Reaction Score
Can't schedule a THIRD Power 5 non conference team in a given year when we already scheduled losses with Clemson, NC State, and BC. That will do wonders for our win totals and program trajectory. Keep scheduling sure fire losses when there's a ton of potential losses already in the AAC. And for kicks let's play it down in NYC in front of 15,000 Rutgers and the several hundred UConn fans that bother to show up. Until we figure out how we became one of the worst teams in the country I strongly encourage following the Calhoun non conference scheduling strategy of the 90s. Cupcakes= wins= momentum= than start beefing it up.

1. Rutgers sucks too, outside of scheduling a 2nd fcs game, there's not much we can do schedule wise that would be a significantly better shot at winning than Rutgers.

2. Trying to revive/establish a regional rivalry is more valuable than one additional win against a garbage team no one cares about.

3. Don't remember the numbers, but being there seemed like we did well attendance wise against Army at Yankee Stadium. We obviously do well in NYC in basketball. Playing games there reaches our NYC fans, and our Fairfield County fans. Now is the time to do things like this when the attendance at the Rent is so bad anyway.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Some RU boosters I know definitely would want to play Connecticut. I think it is a bridge too far to do a Yankee Stadium, Citi Field, or Metlife Stadium game for two college teams playing in half empty college stadiums right now.

RU should jump on it while we are rebuilding to try snag a potential FBS win. FWIW I heard from at least one that he wouldn't travel to the Rent based on how he was treated.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom