Maine, 12/1 | The Boneyard

Maine, 12/1

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Virginia’s packline defense is unbelievable. 26 points!? That has to be some kind of record.

Reaction Score
Ouch, Maine but what happened to Virginia to only score 46? Did they play the four corners stall or something?

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Maine is my alma mater and honestly they have to be one of the most historically terrible basketball programs..

Things are on the upswing in Orono! Maine has been absolutely god-awful this decade, and Bob Walsh was a disaster. But Barron is righting the ship -- we lost by 20 at Harvard, Washington, and Virginia. In prior years, those games would have been much, much more disastrous. Against good competition, we haven't given up more than 72 points in any game this year.

Andrew Fleming anchors the offense and he would start or be a good role player on any mid-major team. We've also raided basically all of eastern Europe for half of our team, and it's been a talent upgrade.

Vermont keeps on bringing in 3 and 4 star transfers, so we're not winning America East or going to the tournament any time soon. But I do think the days of 2 conference wins a year are behind us -- we're going to be a middling America East team this year, maybe a .500 conference record next year. And maybe, one of these years, the stars will align and we'll get to get nuked by Duke in the first round.

My guess: UConn 68 Maine 49

Reaction Score
I expect a player on Maine shooting 25% for the season to make a step back 30 footer on the first possession.
this ALWAYS HAPPENS MAN. the other team wins tip, and the first 4-5 possessions are insane stepback cardiac kemba three pointers with the shot clock expiring. unreal mojo!

Reaction Score
Anyone going to the game? I was planning to get my family to go so I could see the team before the big games begin.

Reaction Score
As long as there’s a good crowd the team should be fine. They never seem to care much if there’s no crowd. For example St. Joes

Reaction Score
As long as there’s a good crowd the team should be fine. They never seem to care much if there’s no crowd. For example St. Joes
It looks like we will see our first round of winter weather on Sunday across the state. That will probably keep people away.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Anyone going to the game? I was planning to get my family to go so I could see the team before the big games begin.

Can’t go but going to try to catch the Black Bears at CCSU on 12/7.

Reaction Score
It looks like we will see our first round of winter weather on Sunday across the state. That will probably keep people away.
Hoping it holds off until. after the game. Tickets are super cheap and you can probably get a good seat.

Reaction Score
Hoping it holds off until. after the game. Tickets are super cheap and you can probably get a good seat.
Yep lower bowls for under 20 on stubhub. I usually go through the schools website to give them the sale, but it’s such a better deal on stub hub that I’d save 15-20 bucks

Reaction Score
Yep lower bowls for under 20 on stubhub. I usually go through the schools website to give them the sale, but it’s such a better deal on stub hub that I’d save 15-20 bucks
Trying to take a date that day too haha. Being in attendance is ultimately what matters.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Things are on the upswing in Orono! Maine has been absolutely god-awful this decade, and Bob Walsh was a disaster. But Barron is righting the ship -- we lost by 20 at Harvard, Washington, and Virginia. In prior years, those games would have been much, much more disastrous. Against good competition, we haven't given up more than 72 points in any game this year.

Andrew Fleming anchors the offense and he would start or be a good role player on any mid-major team. We've also raided basically all of eastern Europe for half of our team, and it's been a talent upgrade.

Vermont keeps on bringing in 3 and 4 star transfers, so we're not winning America East or going to the tournament any time soon. But I do think the days of 2 conference wins a year are behind us -- we're going to be a middling America East team this year, maybe a .500 conference record next year. And maybe, one of these years, the stars will align and we'll get to get nuked by Duke in the first round.

My guess: UConn 68 Maine 49
Duke is prone to losing in the first round or soon there after by a play in. Don’t be surprised if Maine wins.

Reaction Score
Just spent some time researching Maine.

After playing an awful frontcourt team in Miami, Maine is an all-frontcourt team as four of their five best players are 6'7+ and 210+.

Local Maine product Andrew Fleming is their best player as most of their slow offensive sets run through him. The 6'7 222 senior forward averages 18.2/6.5/2.8, does most of his damage within 15 feet, but pops a few threes a game.

Junior Nedeljko Prijovic is a 6'8 210 stretch forward who is the team's best three point shooter (38.7%), rebounder (7.0) and defender (1.8s, 0.8b) while also comfortable handling and moving the ball (2.5/1.3 a/to).

Sergio El Darwich is a 6'4 205 senior point guard who is their 2nd leading scorer (11.3), but is a poor shooter and suspect with ball security (4.0/3.7 a/to).

Junior Swede Vilgot Larsson is a 6'8 215 another stretch forward, but lacks the toughness and interior presence that Fleming and Prijovic can provide.

Maine has played against Virginia, Washington and Harvard so far this year, so it's hard to judge their 2-4 record, but Maine is one of the easiest teams on UConn's schedule. Maine has skilled big men and loves to utilize them in a slowly paced system. With their weak backcourt, I'd expect Hurley to pressure the guards aggressively on D to keep the ball out of the hands of the bigs and jumpstart the transition offensive. I fully expect UConn to try to play fast.

Whenever they are playing half-court offense, I'd feed the rock to Carlton to get Fleming/Prijovic in foul trouble. I wouldn't be surprised if junior Miks Antoms plays a bigger role against UConn. The 6'8 245 Latvian bruiser got 36 minutes against UVA.

Should be a cupcake, but I like UConn getting a chance to play against a weaker team with lots of skilled big men. Good tune up before playing more talented teams with good bigs (Nova, Memphis, Indiana).

Reaction Score

After playing an awful frontcourt team in Miami, Maine is an all-frontcourt team as four of their five best players are 6'7+ and 210+.

Local Maine product Andrew Fleming is their best player as most of their slow offensive sets run through him. The 6'7 222 senior forward averages 18.2/6.5/2.8, does most of his damage within 15 feet, but pops a few threes a game.

Junior Nedeljko Prijovic is a 6'8 210 stretch forward who is the team's best three point shooter (38.7%), rebounder (7.0) and defender (1.8s, 0.8b) while also comfortable handling and moving the ball (2.5/1.3 a/to).

Sergio El Darwich is a 6'4 205 senior point guard who is their 2nd leading scorer (11.3), but is a poor shooter and suspect with ball security (4.0/3.7 a/to).

Junior Swede Vilgot Larsson is a 6'8 215 another stretch forward, but lacks the toughness and interior presence that Fleming and Prijovic can provide.

Maine has played against Virginia, Washington and Harvard so far this year, so it's hard to judge their 2-4 record, but Maine is one of the easiest teams on UConn's schedule. Maine has skilled big men and loves to utilize them in a slowly paced system. With their weak backcourt, I'd expect Hurley to pressure the guards aggressively on D to keep the ball out of the hands of the bigs and jumpstart the transition offensive. I fully expect UConn to try to play fast.

Whenever they are playing half-court offense, I'd feed the rock to Carlton to get Fleming/Prijovic in foul trouble. I wouldn't be surprised if junior Miks Antoms plays a bigger role against UConn. The 6'8 245 Latvian bruiser got 36 minutes against UVA.

Should be a cupcake, but I like UConn getting a chance to play against a weaker team with lots of skilled big men. Good tune up before playing more talented teams with good bigs (Nova, Memphis, Indiana).

Fleming will be a good test for Akok.

Reaction Score

Thank you!

This is what the Yard should be about.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
The 6'7 222 senior forward averages 18.2/6.5/2.8, does most of his damage within 15 feet, but pops a few threes a game.
I hope by "pops a few threes a game" you meant attempts a few. Elsewise, "a few threes" is half his scoring average so "does most of his damage inside" is right out the window.

I wouldn't be surprised if junior Miks Antoms plays a bigger role against UConn. The 6'8 245 Latvian bruiser got 36 minutes against UVA.
Not sure how him getting big minutes against UVA translates to how thy would use him against us. UVA is the antithesis of UConn under Hurley. We like to zip it right along, and average almost 80 points per game. VA plays a deliberate and plodding offense, and scores 55/game.

Reaction Score
I actually bought a ticket yesterday. My birthday is on the 6th so decided to treat myself to a game. Weather permitting ill also be going to the Memphis game.

Reaction Score
Wonder if they would move the game time up an hour to noon just because of the weather? I am going either way. TV wouldn’t be an issue. I think it’s only on Espn3

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Wonder if they would move the game time up an hour to noon just because of the weather? I am going either way. TV wouldn’t be an issue. I think it’s only on Espn3
Snow showers starting late afternoon shouldn’t have too much issue with a 1:00 start

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The starting guards cared enough to jack up 30 bricks that game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom