Main goals for the year | The Boneyard

Main goals for the year

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Our main goals every year are always the same, 1-, Win the BE regular season championship, 2-, win the BE tournament, 3-, win the NC. I think we need to add another goal, and although it may coincide with the other goals, it needs to be pointed out. We may lose 2 or 3 games this year, and depending on what the other big guys do, a #1 seed may be harder to get than in past years, but it must be our most important goal.

There are more great teams out there, more great players out there that can turn a good team into a great team. Last year we were a #2 and ended out in Seattle, and our performance out there was a shock to most of us as the team just imploded against Ohio State.

The East regional last year was not in the Northeast, but SC was a lot closer than Seattle. This coming year the East Regional in back in Albany, a site that really has been good to us, and it is driving distance for those living in that area and in Connecticut.

We have to be in the top 3 in the polls and win most, if not all of our Big Games to keep the wolf away from our door come tournament selection time. Outsiders have said they wanted to see us out of the East to see how good we really are. Well, it happened, and we left that destination without winning a single game. I don't want to see that again, so the biggest overall goal is to win as many games as possible, hopefully all, but enough to beat out our competitors and achieve a #1 seed. If that happens, I think we will be on our way to reaching our 3rd goal, a NC.

Reaction Score
Our main goals every year are always the same, 1-, Win the BE regular season championship, 2-, win the BE tournament, 3-, win the NC. I think we need to add another goal, and although it may coincide with the other goals, it needs to be pointed out. We may lose 2 or 3 games this year, and depending on what the other big guys do, a #1 seed may be harder to get than in past years, but it must be our most important goal. There are more great teams out there, more great players out there that can turn a good team into a great team. Last year we were a #2 and ended out in Seattle, and our performance out there was a shock to most of us as the team just imploded against Ohio State. The East regional last year was not in the Northeast, but SC was a lot closer than Seattle. This coming year the East Regional in back in Albany, a site that really has been good to us, and it is driving distance for those living in that area and in Connecticut. We have to be in the top 3 in the polls and win most, if not all of our Big Games to keep the wolf away from our door come tournament selection time. Outsiders have said they wanted to see us out of the East to see how good we really are. Well, it happened, and we left that destination without winning a single game. I don't want to see that again, so the biggest overall goal is to win as many games as possible, hopefully all, but enough to beat out our competitors and achieve a #1 seed. If that happens, I think we will be on our way to reaching our 3rd goal, a NC.
Nice goals, but the biggest goal should be to stay healthy if we achieve that goal all the others should be attainable

Reaction Score
I think the seeding is very important as well. Uconn if healthy and LSU with their additions, could wind up being super-teams, with a gap to the next tier, perhaps similar but not as much as the WNBA super-teams this year.

For sure avoiding a potential matchup with them before the Final Four, and hopefully not until the Championship game is desirable. If those two teams dominate the third and fourth #1 seed will also be important to avoid having to meet either until the Final Four. If you only need one upset anything is possible.

Reaction Score
I like the analysis of goals. A #1 seed could make a significant difference.

Unlike others in this thread, I don’t believe LSU will be in the NC game. I’m not even sure they’ll make it to the final four. I don’t think they’ll even win the SEC. Last year, they were eminently beatable, as the Utah game amply showed. They also got a few lucky breaks and dodged SC among others. I’m not convinced they will be a better team this year despite the transfers.

There are other more impressive rivals we’ll have to contend with: Utah, IU, SC, ND, Texas, Tennessee, VPI, heck even UCLA.

Reaction Score

Unlike others in this thread, I don’t believe LSU will be in the NC game. I’m not even sure they’ll make it to the final four. I don’t think they’ll even win the SEC. Last year, they were eminently beatable, as the Utah game amply showed. They also got a few lucky breaks and dodged SC among others. I’m not convinced they will be a better team this year despite the transfers.

There are other more impressive rivals we’ll have to contend with: Utah, IU, SC, ND, Texas, Tennessee, VPI, heck even UCLA.
Bone Dog- - I agree wholeheartedly!
Last year LSU got every break a team could get from staying healthy to certain players having career games/year.
They won't surprise anyone!
They'll be #1 on everyone's hit list!
They can't play with 3 basketballs for all the "STARS" they have!

Reaction Score
Our main goals every year are always the same, 1-, Win the BE regular season championship, 2-, win the BE tournament, 3-, win the NC. I think we need to add another goal, and although it may coincide with the other goals, it needs to be pointed out. We may lose 2 or 3 games this year, and depending on what the other big guys do, a #1 seed may be harder to get than in past years, but it must be our most important goal. There are more great teams out there, more great players out there that can turn a good team into a great team. Last year we were a #2 and ended out in Seattle, and our performance out there was a shock to most of us as the team just imploded against Ohio State. The East regional last year was not in the Northeast, but SC was a lot closer than Seattle. This coming year the East Regional in back in Albany, a site that really has been good to us, and it is driving distance for those living in that area and in Connecticut. We have to be in the top 3 in the polls and win most, if not all of our Big Games to keep the wolf away from our door come tournament selection time. Outsiders have said they wanted to see us out of the East to see how good we really are. Well, it happened, and we leftI that destination without winning a single game. I don't want to see that again, so the biggest overall goal is to win as many games as possible, hopefully all, but enough to beat out our competitors and achieve a #1 seed. If that happens, I think we will be on our way to reaching our 3rd goal, a NC.
I don't fully agree with Losing Any games. I don't deny your possibilities--the GOAL is to win it all, win everything along the way.

With the exception of a Top Tall effective player--maybe--my heart is fluttering awaiting the season start. The TALENT, speed, aggressiveness, skills is just this side of basketball heaven.
Some blind pundits have almost denied UConn against LSU at anytime, anywhere. I hope that is motivational!!

Reaction Score

Heck, not even Iowa?:confused:

Reaction Score
This team needs to keep its starting five and key bench players healthy...........if they can accomplish that I like the team's chances..........it's time for the good breaks to finally go UConn's way for a change...... ;)

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Heck, not even Iowa?:confused:
They lost Czinano and Warnock. I think the loss of Warnock is bigger than many appreciate. I just don’t see Steulke and Fuerbach filling those shoes. I’m assuming they’ll be the starters.

They certainly could be better if some things go their way. Affolter and O’Grady could have junior leaps. Molly Davis could finish the adjustment to high-DI competition, and Marshall could (will likely IMO) regain cinfidence in her shot. I really don’t know what to expect from their freshmen.

Reaction Score
Woke up worried about the front court. Half joking. I think it's because of the success Dorka and Liv have had recently in the W and knowing we may not have a traditional 5. Dorka's numbers last year were pretty great and she played through injuries last year. Additionally she's one of those players who's value doesn't show up in the state sheet

I remember when we played Stanford in the 2022 final 4, Geno said at halftime he confronted Liv saying it's not fair to expect the guards to hit 30 jump shots to win the game. I think this year's team, especially against size may be in a similar predicament.

I think Ice is good but a bit undersized. Idk I feel like Charles Barkley back in the day when he used to go on about how jump shooting teams can't win in the playoffs. Until the warriors happened. Similarly in the last 15 years, I can't think of a team that won without a dominant all American like post. I guess Notre Dame in 18 but they were extremely fortunate to win that season.

So in reference to the thread, I do think AE should have All American goals, and Amari should have the goal of being a serviceable rotation player.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
"Shut Up and just win" says it all. Geno does have a way with words!!!!!!!

Every team like LSU, SC, ND, Iowa and others are all different teams from last year. UConn is a different team from last year.

I'm ready to sit back and watch it played out on the court. November can't come fast enough.

BTW - I've got the t-shirt.

Reaction Score
Our main goals every year are always the same, 1-, Win the BE regular season championship, 2-, win the BE tournament, 3-, win the NC. I think we need to add another goal, and although it may coincide with the other goals, it needs to be pointed out. We may lose 2 or 3 games this year, and depending on what the other big guys do, a #1 seed may be harder to get than in past years, but it must be our most important goal. There are more great teams out there, more great players out there that can turn a good team into a great team. Last year we were a #2 and ended out in Seattle, and our performance out there was a shock to most of us as the team just imploded against Ohio State. The East regional last year was not in the Northeast, but SC was a lot closer than Seattle. This coming year the East Regional in back in Albany, a site that really has been good to us, and it is driving distance for those living in that area and in Connecticut. We have to be in the top 3 in the polls and win most, if not all of our Big Games to keep the wolf away from our door come tournament selection time. Outsiders have said they wanted to see us out of the East to see how good we really are. Well, it happened, and we left that destination without winning a single game. I don't want to see that again, so the biggest overall goal is to win as many games as possible, hopefully all, but enough to beat out our competitors and achieve a #1 seed. If that happens, I think we will be on our way to reaching our 3rd goal, a NC.
I know the loss to Ohio State was a hard pill to swallow and everyone keeps talking about it. It definitely wasn’t pretty but personally, I believe it was an abberration and not, as some (not you) are suggesting, a sign that the era of UConn dominance is over. I tend to think it was (hopefully) the final spasm of the incredible stretch of bad luck and misfortune that began subtly in 2017 with the two buzzer beaters in the Final Four, the recruiting misses, and then intensified into the worst string of injuries I have ever seen!
I will say the buzzer beaters though unlucky, were probably just karma for the incredible success we had just experienced. The recruiting misses? Well, other coaches can recruit too! The injuries though, those were truly unfair and incredibly debilitating to the players (injured or not), the coaches, and the fans.
Anyway, I think the Ohio State game was the result of mental and physical exhaustion caused by the the accumulated stress of the previous two years. I believe this season will see a return to the dominance of the past.

Reaction Score
Woke up worried about the front court. Half joking. I think it's because of the success Dorka and Liv have had recently in the W and knowing we may not have a traditional 5. Dorka's numbers last year were pretty great and she played through injuries last year. Additionally she's one of those players who's value doesn't show up in the state sheet

I remember when we played Stanford in the 2022 final 4, Geno said at halftime he confronted Liv saying it's not fair to expect the guards to hit 30 jump shots to win the game. I think this year's team, especially against size may be in a similar predicament.

I think Ice is good but a bit undersized. Idk I feel like Charles Barkley back in the day when he used to go on about how jump shooting teams can't win in the playoffs. Until the warriors happened. Similarly in the last 15 years, I can't think of a team that won without a dominant all American like post. I guess Notre Dame in 18 but they were extremely fortunate to win that season.

So in reference to the thread, I do think AE should have All American goals, and Amari should have the goal of being a serviceable rotation player.
UConn hasn't had a traditional 5 starting since Dolson left.
Last year fans were worried that Dorka wasn't good enough. Worry only puts lines in your face.
Brady is really really good. She may be a couple inches shorter than a couple of her teams but she is the biggest player on the team. In addition she is the only one on the team who likes the contact inside and has the body to be effective all season. The only issue with her is her experience. Last October Geno was praising how well she was playing with the starters. She's a 3 level scorer and is mobile.
If Brady is who I think she is then a starting front court of Brady/Edwards/Griffin will be one of the best in the country. The potential is 2 AA's and a NFOY. Things may not work out that way but there aren't many programs with that level of talent.
And the backcourt is better.

Reaction Score

If Ice and Yanna (anything Amari brings is gravy) can give us solid play behind (and beside) Aaliyah and we can stay healthy, there will only be 2-4 teams capable of competing with us. SC, ND, LSU, come to mind.

Some (most?) will disagree, but I think SC and ND (if healthy) are both bigger threats than LSU. LSU is (on paper and social media) a very good team but I think they will have ball issues. They seem to have IMO, way to many wannabe alphas. Kim is a great coach though, and I’m pretty sure she’d like nothing better than to go back to back so she could (once again) spit in Baylor’s eye!

I wonder how Dawn feels about having a (legitimate) threat to her yearly SEC title. The recruiting battles between those two are going to be unbelievable! Even when Muffet was (for a brief stretch) was competitive, even dominant (for one regular season) with UConn, she was never really a threat to Geno in recruiting. Kim, on the other hand, will be a major pain in the *** for Dawn.:rolleyes:

I just pray that AE, Paige, Azzi can finally let it all hang out, and perform at the AA level they are all three capable of! If that happens and the rest of the team plays somewhere near their ability level, then we will likely start hearing that UConn is bad for women’s basketball again! Hurry up, November!

Reaction Score
I will say the buzzer beaters though unlucky, were probably just karma for the incredible success we had just experienced. The recruiting misses? Well, other coaches can recruit too! The injuries though, those were truly unfair and incredibly debilitating to the players (injured or not), the coaches, and the fans.
I agrée with your entire post — well said! — but this paragraph I found especially moving. You hit the nail on the head with this and I’ve bolded three powerful sentiments.

Karma: I consider 2017 a moral victory. Geno built an incredible team after losing the core of a 4-peat dynasty. They played the most beautiful basketball! The defeat was real, the ‘other team’ earned it. And speaking of karma, dharma somehow required that defeat, the cosmic law of balance.

Recruiting: the primary miss was Boston, and karma was at work there in another way. She won a ring and she deserved it great as she is. But she should have won more with Dawn. Karma. Had Boston come to UConn I think she would have won at least 3.

Injuries: no karma or dharma involved here. Merely a heartless and malign cosmos. No balance was achieved, no justice was served. Paige and Azzi and Lou and Dorka and Aaliyah and Nika and Aubrey and Liv have earned better treatment from the heavens. I’ve never seen a more karmicly or dharmicly aligned group of kids. And if the heavens are this far out of joint, evil empires emerge and a special group is required to set it right.

Reaction Score
I agrée with your entire post — well said! — but this paragraph I found especially moving. You hit the nail on the head with this and I’ve bolded three powerful sentiments.

Karma: I consider 2017 a moral victory. Geno built an incredible team after losing the core of a 4-peat dynasty. They played the most beautiful basketball! The defeat was real, the ‘other team’ earned it. And speaking of karma, dharma somehow required that defeat, the cosmic law of balance.

Recruiting: the primary miss was Boston, and karma was at work there in another way. She won a ring and she deserved it great as she is. But she should have won more with Dawn. Karma. Had Boston come to UConn I think she would have won at least 3.

Injuries: no karma or dharma involved here. Merely a heartless and malign cosmos. No balance was achieved, no justice was served. Paige and Azzi and Lou and Dorka and Aaliyah and Nika and Aubrey and Liv have earned better treatment from the heavens. I’ve never seen a more karmicly or dharmicly aligned group of kids. And if the heavens are this far out of joint, evil empires emerge and a special group is required to set it right.
She could not have won more than three. Remember the 2020 cancellation?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom