Mailbag: Is UConn still a Final Four team without Paige Bueckers? | The Boneyard

Mailbag: Is UConn still a Final Four team without Paige Bueckers?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
By David Connolly - 3/11/2022

This is a free preview of our premium coverage of UConn women’s basketball. To get previews like this throughout the postseason along with stories, insights and analysis you can’t get anywhere else, become a premium member for $6/month or $70/year.

It’s NCAA Tournament time. UConn won the Big East Tournament championship on Monday and now get the 10-ish day breather before the start of March Madness. The Huskies will learn their path to banner No. 12 on Selection Sunday and will begin play on either Friday or Saturday.

While mailbags are usually only for premium subscribers, we gave everyone who’s a member of the UConn WBB Weekly the opportunity to ask questions. If you want the chance to ask questions throughout the postseason, click the button above to become a premium subscriber.

Naturally, there were a lot of responses, so to keep this at a (relatively) manageable length, we tried to only pick questions that are relevant towards the NCAA Tournament — or haven’t been asked in a previous edition of the mailbag: [LINK]

Lots of information and answers here while we're waiting for selection Sun.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Without Paige playing?
Without the 2021 Paige?
Without Paige in better form playing enough minutes (continued minutes limit)?

The answer to all of the above: YES
But it won't be easy re: (1)
Easier with the other two.

If Paige works out the kinks and harmonizes with the rest during the break of 10 days and capable of playing 25+ minutes in FF? Looking forward to #12.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think so. The whole team has become greater than the sum of its individual parts. The question will be can the younger players control their emotions and focus as they move through the tournament and get closer to the ultimate goal. A lot rests on the shoulders of two freshmen (Azzi and Caroline) and an upper classman (Dorka) who have not been to the big dance before. It will be a challenge to stay on point and not let the moment become too big for them.

Reaction Score
I think so. I think this team has learned to play without Paige and they have at it. They've done most of what they did recently without a fully functioning Bueckers and as long as Azzi doesn't have dry spells, Christyn stays aggressive, Dorka keeps popping threes, Nika keeps hounding guards, Aaliyah returns to form and Caroline takes a few Ibuprofen we should be good.

Reaction Score
We don’t know the answer to the Paige question. No one does. We know that without Paige they are good enough to destroy BE opponents and whoever they play in the first round. After that, they will show us how good they have become. I’ve never rooted harder for a team. And I’ve never had more questions about a team.

Reaction Score
We don’t know the answer to the Paige question. No one does. We know that without Paige they are good enough to destroy BE opponents and whoever they play in the first round. After that, they will show us how good they have become. I’ve never rooted harder for a team. And I’ve never had more questions about a team.
For me, the two previous teams that I cheered hardest for were the Gabby-Kia run to the FF while carrying the burden of a winning streak reaching 111, with players who were assigned their responsibilities for the first time - none of which they had before, except Kia - and was basically a very young team.

The second one was the 2002-2003 team where DT was the only holdover from the starters of the unbeaten team the year before. It was also a very young team except for DT and bench players for preceding years.

And now, this team has joined those two in appeal which tugs at your heart's core.

Just as I cheered hardest for those two other teams, so I am this one. I look forward to seeing them climb the mountain top to find NC #12 waiting for them.

Reaction Score
Love what LoboDays said! I love the depth and how they played recently but they will be tested severely in the regionals and FF (if they get there). I'm pulling hard for them and they are a likeable team for sure. How good they are, against the top teams, we dont really know yet. Paige at close to 100% would be a big help for sure. Hopefully we can avoid the meltdowns that have plagued us in the last few years and get #12 but it is by no means assured. There are many really good teams in WCBB now and we will have to be at our best A game from regionals onward.

Reaction Score
Yes. They have still 4 players who can completely light it up on any given night. And, they have another 4 who can score well and play D. With an 8 player rotation, they will play great D, shoot well and have the depth to press or trap. They also have an inside out game with the high post game. Yes, they are becoming that good. Can they beat SC or Stanford? Yes, on a good night.

Reaction Score
By David Connolly - 3/11/2022

This is a free preview of our premium coverage of UConn women’s basketball. To get previews like this throughout the postseason along with stories, insights and analysis you can’t get anywhere else, become a premium member for $6/month or $70/year.

It’s NCAA Tournament time. UConn won the Big East Tournament championship on Monday and now get the 10-ish day breather before the start of March Madness. The Huskies will learn their path to banner No. 12 on Selection Sunday and will begin play on either Friday or Saturday.

While mailbags are usually only for premium subscribers, we gave everyone who’s a member of the UConn WBB Weekly the opportunity to ask questions. If you want the chance to ask questions throughout the postseason, click the button above to become a premium subscriber.

Naturally, there were a lot of responses, so to keep this at a (relatively) manageable length, we tried to only pick questions that are relevant towards the NCAA Tournament — or haven’t been asked in a previous edition of the mailbag: [LINK]

Lots of information and answers here while we're waiting for selection Sun.
Thanks. A quick show, picked Uconn as a Final 4 team, mostly because of the defense. Paige adds a huge wrinkle fo oher teams when she is play her game. Look out.

Jim

Reaction Score
I think you get two different answers if Paige is back to 2021 form and everyone else is healthy. If Paige is not at 100%, then it depends upon the how the brackets play out and whether or not UCONN matches up well with the opponents in the regional for the team to reach the Final Four. If everyone is at or close to 100%, the brackets don't matter, and, yes, this is not only a Final Four team but a real contender for the national championship.

Reaction Score
Yes, this is a FF team. But very questionable without PB in the semi and NC games. With PB at >80% we will win it all. PB has proved she is the closer for very close and tight games.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In Paige’s limited minutes, we have seen flashes of last year’s Paige. I expect Paige to be back, ready to play 30 minutes+ by the Sweet 16. So the OP’s question is like asking, “Does pizza taste good without sausage, mushrooms & peppers?” The answer is probably “yes.” But I really don’t care to find out. :cool:

Reaction Score
It still feels like Paige’s biggest hurdles are more mental than physical, even as she works back into game shape.

Reaction Score
It still feels like Paige’s biggest hurdles are more mental than physical, even as she works back into game shape.

Reaction Score
With or without Paige, I agree it depends on matchups and how Geno uses our depth. Chrystin, and when she plays, Caroline, have been constant motion, each game getting 4-5+ uncontested layups and opening things up for everyone else. When Paige has come in, things seem to slow down and we become more of a 3-point shooting team. When Azzi is hot, UConn is unstoppable; when inconsistent, not so much. In the playoffs, I tend to favor motion offenses and higher probability shots but would take either one depending who on UConn gets hot. We likely need at least 2 of our shooters to excel; defense will take care of itself.

Reaction Score
IMO opinion, defensively? Yes.

Offensively, realistically? Probably not. Unless Paige comes out gangbusters. She might. Who knows. Only thing is if we have a couple players like Azzi and CD just hit the stride. 20 a game each. It’s just going to be super tough at this point with all they have dealt with.

Reaction Score
I'm not a betting man, but if I were, I'd put money on UConn to win it all. UConn is playing very well and not everyone is even at their peak yet. Caroline is going to be playing with a chip on her shoulder, I believe, my theory is she is pissed that she had concussion and had to take a backward step with her health and playing time. Paige isn't 100%, but with time off between Big East final and start of tournament, she willl improve that much more. Azzi is too good a shooter to be satisfied with recent shooting slump, and I see her going off for mucho/beaucoup/sh_load of points when we play again, Christyn wants to be able to tell her critics where to shove it, etc etc. I think the best analogy for UConn is they are like a hornet's next and people are trying to mess with it. Let's go!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom