Mackenzie Holmes | The Boneyard

Mackenzie Holmes

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Maine produces very few great basketball players. Cindy Blodgett who played at Maine is one as is Joe Harrington who starred at Maryland. It is nice to see Mackenzie adding herself to this list.
Would Mackenzie be interested in transferring closer to home? I'm asking for a friend affiliated with a major University located in the in NE part of the united states where the ice cream is know to be exceptional. If anyone happens to press you on the matter it's UNH I'm thinking about. :eek: They could really use her.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Faith Blethen of George Washington is from Boothbay. I haven't seen her this year, but I believe she started all or most of the games last year as a freshman. From what I hear she has some younger sisters who also play.

Holmes has been great this year; I've seen several of Indiana's games. They had a spot on her a few days ago, showing her dribbling and shooting in the snow last spring.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I have to give this one a bump.

Having strong ties to Maine, I started paying attention to Ms Holmes because she’s from Gorham. I’ve continued watching her because she’s so fun to watch. There aren’t all that many really talented true post players in WCBB, but Holmes is good at both ends of the floor. She held her own with Cunane yesterday, which is impressive.

I’m looking forward to Indiana-Arizona on Monday.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Would Mackenzie be interested in transferring closer to home? I'm asking for a friend affiliated with a major University located in the in NE part of the united states where the ice cream is know to be exceptional. If anyone happens to press you on the matter it's UNH I'm thinking about. :eek: They could really use her.

I have to give this one a bump.

Having strong ties to Maine, I started paying attention to Ms Holmes because she’s from Gorham. I’ve continued watching her because she’s so fun to watch. There aren’t all that many really talented true post players in WCBB, but Holmes is good at both ends of the floor. She held her own with Cunane yesterday, which is impressive.

I’m looking forward to Indiana-Arizona on Monday.

Bigboote:
I've watched IU games a bunch since Ali P. arrived there (she may not be Irish anymore, but the young woman is worth cheering for and following) and I was always taken with Holmes. There's a bit of Megan Gustafsson's game there, but she's not quite a back-to-the-basket type as Megan G. or Monica C. now. She's a bit more mobile and I love her assortment of squirmy, up and under moves. That's it! She's Kevin McHale's Niece! ? :D Not really, but I do love those assortment of moves. And gosh knows, she and Ali or on the same page.

Coco: remember Anna DeWolfe? She was on the Maine Firecrackers, that Maine AAU team that was always pulling strings of upsets against better-known teams in national tournaments a few years back.

She's from Cumberland, Maine and led Greely HS to a state title, before snagging the Miss Maine trophy. The 5'8" guard is now just a sophomore at Fordham, where she led the 12-6 Rams to the WNIT this year. She was named a captain and averaged 20.8 ppg.
I saw her in person against ND last year when the Irish were at Rose Hill and a sizeable amount of Cumberland family and friends made the trip down making their presence known.

Reaction Score
Bigboote:
I've watched IU games a bunch since Ali P. arrived there (she may not be Irish anymore, but the young woman is worth cheering for and following) and I was always taken with Holmes. There's a bit of Megan Gustafsson's game there, but she's not quite a back-to-the-basket type as Megan G. or Monica C. now. She's a bit more mobile and I love her assortment of squirmy, up and under moves. That's it! She's Kevin McHale's Niece! ? :D Not really, but I do love those assortment of moves. And gosh knows, she and Ali or on the same page.

Coco: remember Anna DeWolfe? She was on the Maine Firecrackers, that Maine AAU team that was always pulling strings of upsets against better-known teams in national tournaments a few years back.

She's from Cumberland, Maine and led Greely HS to a state title, before snagging the Miss Maine trophy. The 5'8" guard is now just a sophomore at Fordham, where she led the 12-6 Rams to the WNIT this year. She was named a captain and averaged 20.8 ppg.
I saw her in person against ND last year when the Irish were at Rose Hill and a sizeable amount of Cumberland family and friends made the trip down making their presence known.
Kevin McHale’s niece! Wow, what a great reference!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Bigboote:
Yes, she, Czinano, and Gustafson are cut from the same cloth. I think Czinano and Gustafson might do more work before getting the ball, but Holmes is a little more mobile after she gets it. I also think she's a better defender due to longer arms and more mobility. They're all three fun to watch; hope Gustafson finds a fit in the W.

I read somewhere that Patberg is planning to stay for another year at Indiana. Does anyone remember a player who had seven years of eligibility?

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Yes, she, Czinano, and Gustafson are cut from the same cloth. I think Czinano and Gustafson might do more work before getting the ball, but Holmes is a loittle more mobile after she gets it. I also think she's a better defender due to longer arms and more mobility. They're all three fun to watch; hope Gustafson finds a fit in the W.

I read somewhere that Patberg is planning to stay for another year at Indiana. Does anyone remember a player who had seven years of eligibility?

No, Destinee Walker just finished her sixth year of eligibility between UNC and ND, but she's going to try the pro's next season.
If Patberg does come back, she could/should be joined by Jaelynn Penn, another fine, physical guard and the rest of the team is back, too, with all that experience behind them.

Reaction Score
I remember that Ali was on a USAB national team
Yes, she, Czinano, and Gustafson are cut from the same cloth. I think Czinano and Gustafson might do more work before getting the ball, but Holmes is a loittle more mobile after she gets it. I also think she's a better defender due to longer arms and more mobility. They're all three fun to watch; hope Gustafson finds a fit in the W.

I remember seeing Ali on a national team with Crystal. One year at ND, a transfer year and three at IU? Can she stay for a sixth year?

Reaction Score

I remember seeing Ali on a national team with Crystal. One year at ND, a transfer year and three at IU? Can she stay for a sixth year?
I think two years at Notre Dame (injured for one). Then sat out due to transfer rules. Seven years is a long time in college.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Yes Ali as well as all/any Senior WCBB player can choose to come back next year. However no school is obligated to provide a scholarship for a returning senior. As I've been watching Indiana play my mind keeps drifting to Danielle Patterson who opted out of the season due to COVID. I wonder if Patterson regrets that decision.

Reaction Score
Holmes is really impressive. A VERY good shot-blocker, too. Up there with the best in the nation.

Indiana is stacked with physical guards who drive to the bucket at will, but Holmes may well be their most important player.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Yes Ali as well as all/any Senior WCBB player can choose to come back next year. However no school is obligated to provide a scholarship for a returning senior. As I've been watching Indiana play my mind keeps drifting to Danielle Patterson who opted out of the season due to COVID. I wonder if Patterson regrets that decision.

She and Jaelynn Penn, who was a starter!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
New England is general is a pretty weak area for HS women's basketball - not sure why. Occasional real gems but they are few and far between. I know Geno complains that CT HS athletic rules cramp the development of the players - not sure which rules he is referring to. And not sure if that sort of thing applies to other states in NE.

Reaction Score
New England is general is a pretty weak area for HS women's basketball - not sure why. Occasional real gems but they are few and far between. I know Geno complains that CT HS athletic rules cramp the development of the players - not sure which rules he is referring to. And not sure if that sort of thing applies to other states in NE.
Geno will also tell you that his first great recruit, one of his best players ever (Kerry Bascom), was from New Hampshire.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Geno will also tell you that his first great recruit, one of his best players ever (Kerry Bascom), was from New Hampshire.
And Lobo from MA, and Sales from CT. Maria doesn't quite move the needle very far, nor does Buck. Jen had actually just moved to CT from Japan I think, and Sue had one parent living in CT. Kara from MA. Wolff could have been one but for injuries.

But ... there seems to be a general dearth once you move east and from New York State. NY, NJ, PA = lots of players; CT, MA, VT, NH, and ME not so many.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom