Mack Brown Confirms It - Time To Start Culling the Herd | The Boneyard

Mack Brown Confirms It - Time To Start Culling the Herd

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
What many of us have been pointing out is the natural evolution of this greed, Mack Brown confirms:

"Brown ... said college football's big five conferences might even need to relegate some of their own programs that aren't financially able to keep up with the rest.
"They'd have to be weeded out," Brown said. "You have to say, 'Here's the minimum. If you can't live up to that, go do something else.' I think that's the only way to do it. It sounds harsh, but really and truly we're putting too much pressure on those that can't live in this world. If we pay them all and let them live in their own world, who cares? Make it a good league and make it fun."
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/95037 13/mack-brown-agrees-big-12-boss-bob-bowlsby-call- ncaa-reforms

You have to love these clowns who are in strong positions based not on competence or ability, but rather on geography. If the measuring stick was wins per $ of revenue then a Texas AD comprised of Brown and Barnes may be the first to get weeded out. Anyway, this is the one development that can't hurt us - you can't cull us if we aren't in.

Reaction Score
First of all, for the life of me I don't know why Brown would want to go on record with comments like those. It's just so clear to me that from a business perspective so many of these folks are in miles over their heads.

This just further leads me to believe that the powers in college athletics see a world of something like 5o programs (maybe it's 75, maybe its 35 - who knows) competing at the highest level. They want all the money available in this market. I just think it's very short sighted. College athletics is different than professional athletics. Consumers are looking for a different experience. Narrowing the college athletic field down to these numbers both decreases the market and diminishes the differentiation between college and the pros. They may wake up in 10 years and find out they completely duck*ed this up.

Reaction Score
What many of us have been pointing out is the natural evolution of this greed, Mack Brown confirms:

"Brown ... said college football's big five conferences might even need to relegate some of their own programs that aren't financially able to keep up with the rest.
"They'd have to be weeded out," Brown said. "You have to say, 'Here's the minimum. If you can't live up to that, go do something else.' I think that's the only way to do it. It sounds harsh, but really and truly we're putting too much pressure on those that can't live in this world. If we pay them all and let them live in their own world, who cares? Make it a good league and make it fun." http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/95037 13/mack-brown-agrees-big-12-boss-bob-bowlsby-call- ncaa-reforms

You have to love these clowns who are in strong positions based not on competence or ability, but rather on geography. If the measuring stick was wins per $ of revenue then a Texas AD comprised of Brown and Barnes may be the first to get weeded out. Anyway, this is the one development that can't hurt us - you can't cull us if we aren't in.

"If we pay them all and let them live in their own world, who cares?"

I put .0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% chance that Texas kicks ISU to the curb and continues to pay them. Is Mack Brown old enough to have Alzheimer's?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
First of all, for the life of me I don't know why Brown would want to go on record with comments like those. It's just so clear to me that from a business perspective so many of these folks are in miles over their heads.

This just further leads me to believe that the powers in college athletics see a world of something like 5o programs (maybe it's 75, maybe its 35 - who knows) competing at the highest level. They want all the money available in this market. I just think it's very short sighted. College athletics is different than professional athletics. Consumers are looking for a different experience. Narrowing the college athletic field down to these numbers both decreases the market and diminishes the differentiation between college and the pros. They may wake up in 10 years and find out they completely f* *ed this up.

Couldnt agree more on all points about crazy quotes and the future under this structure. I'll be thrilled if we get into the D4 club, but if the club is truly less than 70 teams, its going to diminish the college football experience over the medium and long run....in my guestimate. David vs Goliath is a big part of the fun.

Reaction Score

This just further leads me to believe that the powers in college athletics see a world of something like 5o programs (maybe it's 75, maybe its 35 - who knows) competing at the highest level. They want all the money available in this market. I just think it's very short sighted. College athletics is different than professional athletics. Consumers are looking for a different experience. Narrowing the college athletic field down to these numbers both decreases the market and diminishes the differentiation between college and the pros. They may wake up in 10 years and find out they completely f* *ed this up.

Seeing that the B5 conferences all got fat contracts based on their size I doubt for one second their will be any culling of the herd. At least nothing more than a couple, if that.

What is going to happen? Wake and Dook going to join the MAC?

Reaction Score

Why not? BYers want Susan to publicly bash the rest of the schools in the AAC...

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Anyone think ESPN/Fox are behind this?

More TV friendly games, bigger DMA penetration (hopefully for us), better regional balance. 7 - nine/ten team leagues. Full round robin schedules and an 8-team playoff? Bueller?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Some of these FB coaches are in so far over their head that it is not even funny.

Reaction Score

"They'd have to be weeded out," Brown said. "You have to say, 'Here's the minimum. If you can't live up to that, go do something else.' I think that's the only way to do it. It sounds harsh, but really and truly we're putting too much pressure on those that can't live in this world. If we pay them all and let them live in their own world, who cares? Make it a good league and make it fun." http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/95037 13/mack-brown-agrees-big-12-boss-bob-bowlsby-call- ncaa-reforms

I think Coach Brown just joined the DeFillipo "I probably should have kept my mouth shut club."

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Tuxedo Yoda (who is a Texas fan) thinks this means UT wants to jettison Texas Tech and Baylor. Whether they can accomplish that, I think it would be tricky. Something like what Pete Thamel outlined is a lot more plausible and would happen first. The tricky stuff - kicking out the Iowa States of the world by setting some threshold - would have to come later. UConn still has to angle for an ACC / B1G / B12 invite if it can, don't want Cincy or USF to get the last life raft if it comes down to that.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't think there is much Congress or any government can do but do we think schools like Iowa would be allowed to sign if schools like Iowa State aren't invited?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It is funny that Mack Brown is talking trash given that he is worth 7 points a game for the opposing team he is so bad. Consolidation of D1 would consolidate talent in fewer programs, reducing Texas' talent advantage and resulting in more losing seasons for UT.

Reaction Score
"I don't think there is much Congress can do ..."

Shrug. In a world where there's no agreement nor compromise, it would be a great soapbox for a Senator or 2. I know many here are totally dismissive of government & feel like the P5 is on Fidel run through Cuba; I'll take a different view. "A league of their own" means you have major institutions pissed & millions of alumni. Including big $ donors. You're knocking Title IX for a loop - so we have women senators. You're steamrollering lots of small business. And, a few big hair Swofford's blowhard their way around.

57% of the Scholarship BCS players in CFB are black & 64% in CBB (according to Frank Deford) and you're setting this up for a couple thousand dollar stipend? Hmmm something's never change. Mostly southern guys - white - benefit.

Slippery slope - I say.

Reaction Score
Mack Brown? Has any coach ever done so little with so much? Let's start the culling by . . . well "culling Texas from the heard. You wanna pay players like the NFL then compete in the NFL.

Reaction Score
here's the thing....if the big guys break away, how do they get their three non-co0nference games, at least two are home games? who do they play? Uconn would fit nicely in their plans. you want credibility, go play one of the top schools 2-1 at their place with other game in NYC. while it sucks, it keep you on the map and more of those opportunities will exist once this move is made

Reaction Score
here's the thing....if the big guys break away, how do they get their three non-co0nference games, at least two are home games? who do they play? Uconn would fit nicely in their plans. you want credibility, go play one of the top schools 2-1 at their place with other game in NYC. while it sucks, it keep you on the map and more of those opportunities will exist once this move is made

Play Texas twice in Austin? And . . . play the "home game" in NYC??? Seriously. Unless you're talking about Columbia, UConn's home games are played in East Hartford, CONNECTICUT. Ask Michigan, ask Tennessee, ask North Carolina.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Play Texas twice in Austin? And . . . play the "home game" in NYC??? Seriously. Unless you're talking about Columbia, UConn's home games are played in East Hartford, CONNECTICUT. Ask Michigan, ask Tennessee, ask North Carolina.

They WERE played there.

Reaction Score
Mack Brown? Has any coach ever done so little with so much?

A guy who gets to turn away 5-star recruits has compiled a 22-16 record (11-15 in conference, 3-11 against top 25) in the last 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom