Lyman DePriest vs. Shaq | The Boneyard

Lyman DePriest vs. Shaq

Reaction Score
Watching this ongoing "greatest college players of all time" tourney and debate on ESPN has been interesting.
When they talked about Shaq. I of course, thought of Lyman and his driving layup vs Shaq in the 1991 NCAA's.
I can't believe I actually found a video of it. It's at the 1:00 mark of this story about his son....

Reaction Score
Watched Lyman shut down Dana Barros in the Garden during the NIT semi. Barros had 22 in the first half.

Calhoun put DePriest on Barros in the second half and Lyman held him to 2 points on 2 shots. I was sitting behind the basket on UConn's defensive end. Never have I seen a player so completely covered up. He literally couldn't get off a shot.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Watched Lyman shut down Dana Barros in the Garden during the NIT semi. Barros had 22 in the first half.

Calhoun put DePriest on Barros in the second half and Lyman held him to 2 points on 2 shots. I was sitting behind the basket on UConn's defensive end. Never have I seen a player so completely covered up. He literally couldn't get off a shot.
Fun fact: The first game we played BC, the following year, Lyman held Barros scoreless in the first half. Thus Lyman Depriest held Dana Barros scoreless for two consecutive halfs.

Reaction Score
I forgot about the kind of a..kicking that was against Shaq.
Shaq had a great game. Nine dunks. But we controlled everyone else and owned the perimeter.

Reaction Score
It's pretty amazing that Dale Brown did so little with Shaq for three years. His freshmen year, he had three lottery picks in the first round (Chris Jackson, Stanley Roberts, and Shaq) and they underachieved and then the next two years Brown was unable to put any other competent talent, especially in the backcourt, around one of the most dominant players college basketball has ever seen.

Reaction Score
Thanks for sharing. There are two gems at the end of the video:
- Scott Burrell seems to complete a 15 yard "Pat Mahomes" pass up the sidelines to Chris Smith
- Up next, we're bringing you to the Richmond - Syracuse game (Richmond up 11-8)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Funny thing is shortly after Lyman's reverse he has a breakaway slam but his leg buckled and his layup barely hit the back board.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Shaq was good enough to carry a bottom feeding L$U program to the dance. As an all-time college player he is not in any meaningful conversation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom