LV's vs. DePaul. | The Boneyard

LV's vs. DePaul.

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
After the first game, this one is a letdown. LV's with 10 TO's but DePaul is blowing an opportunity for an upset. Tied at 12 with 12 left in the half.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Simmons goes to the bench and LV offense immediately improves. Now up 7.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Still think Baugh is more important than Massengale? :)
Well, it's not like Massengale made their offense better, it was probably getting Simmons off the court. But Baugh's importance is reduced with Harrison's emergence as a capable backup center.

Reaction Score
DePaul is def blowing a good opportunity. Tenn not playing well...as usual.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Well, it's not like Massengale made their offense better, it was probably getting Simmons off the court. But Baugh's importance is reduced with Harrison's emergence as a capable backup center.

Harrison has shown she can grab some rebounds but she entered the game shooting 18%. She's not yet a capable backup offensively.

Both Simmons and Stricklen struggled with very light pressure from DePaul. The pressure on Tenn's guards will not be light on Tues night.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Depaul is a fundamentally sound team but i don't think they are terribly talented. i don't mean they are bad by any stretch and Doug certainly gets the most out of them that he can but Hampton at 6'2" is their post player who likes to step out and hit mid range and 3 point shots. i don't think they are strong inside.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
What I am seeing is two teams playing very poorly. DePaul is playing badly in just about every category... Tennessee is scoring on turnovers, lay-ups and put backs. DePaul can't score a lay-up...most of Hampton's shots are "flat-jacks"...no arch. DePaul finally scored a couple of threes...but overall very disappointing play in the first half. Martin in early foul trouble. Simmons, Strictland not handling the ball all that well at the point. Manning, Spani and Johnson keeping the vols in the game. Harrison is pretty good. Burdick giving some decent minutes. I almost considered not watching the 2nd half...but I can't help contemplating the possible schadenfreude moment that I might enjoy if Tennessee were to somehow lose this game.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
DePaul is certainly not as strong as in other years and it's down a few players for this game, including last year's BE 6th POY Taylor Pikes, Deanna Ortiz and its freshman pg Chanise Jenkins.

Reaction Score
DePaul is a horrific shooting team. I havent looked at the shooting %, but I'll not be surprised if it's <20%.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
what a game. i stand by what i said earlier about Depaul, but boy does tennessee look really average. they will say "well, we are missing Massengale". very true but come on. this is a team filled with seniors who were all HS AA's... they should win this game, probably by a decent margin at the end, but they just are not impressive...

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Yeah, but that was my point. TN desperately needed a PG, and w/o one they are lost again.
I understand your point. I agree that not having Massengale is a big problem, but it's a problem that can be managed to allow them to beat teams like DePaul as long as they don't rely on Simmons who has clearly shown that she is not a capable backup... they are better off with Stricklen at the point on a short term basis, sharing the ballhandling with Spani and Manning. But if they lost Baugh, I really believe they would be in bigger trouble.

Look what happened at Virgina without her.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
TN certainly played better in the second half...but DePaul hardly has anything to stop the Ladyvols. Losing Hampton and Martin not having a good game is disasterous for Bruno. The only thing that is more aggravating than watching Tennessee overpower DePaul is listening to the female homer commentator going on and on about how great TN is.

Reaction Score
TN certainly played better in the second half...but DePaul hardly has anything to stop the Ladyvols. Losing Hampton and Martin not having a good game is disasterous for Bruno. The only thing that is more aggravating than watching Tennessee overpower DePaul is listening to the female homer commentator going on and on about how great TN is.

Homer? It's Brooke Weisbrod, who has done some UConn games, and played for the CT Sun I think.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
DePaul is certainly not as strong as in other years and it's down a few players for this game, including last year's BE 6th POY Taylor Pikes, Deanna Ortiz and its freshman pg Chanise Jenkins.
no excuses... * happens, play ball!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
did LV do anything good?

The Good
They won by 20+ points.
Manning was great off the bench.
They held Depaul to 30% FGs and 25% 3pt FGs.
They forced 26 TOs
They took 35 foul shots and made 26.

But you can't put lipstick on a pig and expect everyone to gush over them.

The Bad
8 assists and 20 TO's is just awful.
Depaul is really not very good.
The replacement PG, Simmons, had 1 assist and 4 turnovers.
The first PG off the bench, Bass, played a minute and had no assists and 1 TO,
Vickie Baugh had 6 points and ZERO rebounds.
They only outrebounded a mediocre rebounding team 41-38.
They were 0-5 on 3s.

I don't get what you expect from the posters here. Let the visiting Tennessee fans tell us what was good about Tennessee.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Explanation ≠ Excuse
You will have to excuse DC. He is not himself when it comes to things after a Tennessee game. And no offense, DC. It's just true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom