Louisville's $160 Million Shoe Contract | The Boneyard

Louisville's $160 Million Shoe Contract

Reaction Score
I freaked out when I heard this is what Louisville gets on their shoe contract but my question is this: how much do schools like Duke, North Carolina and Kentucky get and what do we get on our contract?

Reaction Score
Louisville is pretty much the main school for Adidas I think, and has championship-caliber teams in both MBB and FB, which is more than any of those other schools can say.

Reaction Score
Louisville is pretty much the main school for Adidas I think, and has championship-caliber teams in both MBB and FB, which is more than any of those other schools can say.

Louisville has made a nice comeback in football but is hardly national championship caliber. Nike has pretty much every big school in football including Bama Fla LSU Georgia USC Texas Oklahoma Ohio st Michigan (Jordan) Penn St Clemson FSU, Oregon etc.

Adidas has teams like Louisville miami and ucla.

now that I think of it was the last time a non-Nike sponsored team won it all in college football??

Nike dominates college football and college hoops.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Kansas was always Nike with Roy in their heyday but yeah they've been Adidas for awhile.

I preferred KU in Nike, ala Paul Pierce and Jacque Vaughn.

Reaction Score
Louisville has made a nice comeback in football but is hardly national championship caliber. Nike has pretty much every big school in football including Bama Fla LSU Georgia USC Texas Oklahoma Ohio st Michigan (Jordan) Penn St Clemson FSU, Oregon etc.

Adidas has teams like Louisville miami and ucla.

now that I think of it was the last time a non-Nike sponsored team won it all in college football??

Nike dominates college football and college hoops.
Auburn in 2010 right?

Poe

Reaction Score
They are UA now, but they were Adidas for a while.

UCLA's deal with UA is for $280 million for 15 years. More than four times the amount UCONN gets from Nike per year, nuts.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Time to buy stock in Under Armour. If only Nike and Adidas are implicated in this scandal, Under Armour stands to reap the benefits.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Time to buy stock in Under Armour. If only Nike and Adidas are implicated in this scandal, Under Armour stands to reap the benefits.

They are doing well anyway. Making better stuff in some cases. I love their golf shorts, and my dad loves their golf shirts.

Reaction Score
They are UA now, but they were Adidas for a while.
UCLA ‘s annual contract was almost double the 2nd on the list and about 2 1/2 Times the amount Maryland gets.
It seemed a bit strange
When you look at any types of number sets especially Stats it’s the anomalies that tell the story or rather have a story all their own.

Reaction Score
UCLA's deal with UA is for $280 million for 15 years. More than four times the amount UCONN gets from Nike per year, nuts.
Can someone please explain to me how paying UCLA 20 million a year makes them money? People see the UA on their clothes and their shoes, then buy 100 million product (based on 20% profit) to make this pay? Even at 50% profit they need to sell 40 million extra to break even.

Reaction Score
Can someone please explain to me how paying UCLA 20 million a year makes them money? People see the UA on their clothes and their shoes, then buy 100 million product (based on 20% profit) to make this pay? Even at 50% profit they need to sell 40 million extra to break even.
UA has annual revenues of about $5 billion. Spending $20 million a year on a college program to promote its brand, essentially advertising, is probably a drop in the bucket to what they spend on yearly advertising, promotions, etc. I'm sure it's worth it to them.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Never forget what Adidas made us wear in the 2012 postseason
10668015-large.jpg

and the following year
cincinnati_bearcats_uniforms_getty-e1363359029732.jpg

Reaction Score
They are doing well anyway. Making better stuff in some cases. I love their golf shorts, and my dad loves their golf shirts.

Stock is down 55% in the last year. Wouldn't exactly call that "doing well".

UA cant figure out what their brand is. Nike is the flashy, premium, technology advanced brand for serious athletes and people pretending to be serious athletes or who just want to look cool. Adidas has been killing it lately because they made the smart decision that rather than compete with (basically copy) Nike at their game, they switched to a more simplistic/ minimalistic/limited branding/retro style and look. Their new models are basically socks attached to an outsole (bottom). I personally hate them but they are very popular.

Under Armour is neither of these and is "stuck in the middle". not premium and flash like Nike. And they don't have the history or retro look that Adidas has. UA started out well in apparel by producing the cold/heat gear for more hardcore sports like lacrosse and football. They still do this well, but they haven't been able to evolve from that and create their own brand/style. They pretty much just copy both adidas and nike and have failed to create anything that is uniquely UA.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I want to preface this by saying I'm talking out of my ass and am not a reputable source on this subject.

But is it possible this huge contract was their big gamble to start funneling kids to the LA market and getting endorsement deals with some big stars down the line? If UCLA and UA started paying the top 5-10 recruits $200k + and promising them the exposure that comes with playing in LA, is there any reason they couldn't recruit like a Kentucky or Duke? UA also pays money to their handlers to convince them to sign with UA when they become pros.

If anything, maybe the FBI investigation ruined their plans and now they've paid $280m just to have their logo on college gear.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
There were rumors during the Mick to UNLV fiasco that Under Armour was potentially willing pay for part of the contract to push the salary over $3 million a year with the intention of flipping UNLV to Under Armor to get a west coast presence (I believe UCLA had not signed over at yet).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom